2018 Mid-term elections!

Ms. Spam

I think it's a combination of both. He's young and idealistic but he's able to speak to a lot of issues and not sound distant or like he hasn't experienced them. I used to live in El Paso (My Dad was stationed in Ft Bliss for five years) and feel like he at least connects with people and understands border and immigration policy far better than some people do. His campaign basically was all through donations from people. No corporations or PACs donated. He visited every county in Texas in a mini-van and sounded like Bernie Sanders did at the end of his election cycle because his voice was gone. He did absolutely no polls so none of that stuff you see in the West Wing where they hire people to do like a small sample of how do you feel about this or that for the campaigner. The best thing he did for Texas was energize Democrats to start registering people to vote, get out and talk about things with people and build a kind of foundation that maybe we can carry into making Texas a purple state instead of all red. It was done all through Facebook posts and social media where Beto seems to connect better which is good because old style Reagan voters eat a lot of red meat and will die out soon so we need to start getting younger voters. He's had some hickups - which you can see when he's knocked on doors of some dyed in the wool crazy GOPer who's obviously going to be antagonistic to a Democrat and films the encounter and posts it. But I think he's honest. Or least comes across that way as opposed to Ted Cruz. None of his ads came out from Beto said anything terrible about Cruz which was kind of the nicest part of the campaign. Just positive moving forward type messages.

If Democrats can get Nancy Pelosi and maybe Schumer to go away I think the next election cycle can see more change.

Guest El Chalupacabra

This afternoon, Sinema just pulled ahead of McSally by 2200 votes, with 345,000 early ballots that still need to be counted. If most of them come from Maricopa County, there is a good chance Sinema may actually take the race.

Chalupa! The RNC is crying to McSally about why she's not throwing out conspiracy theories and moaning about how this is being rigged like the Florida vote (notice the RNC says nothing about Kemp and his opponent in GA). Never thought I'd say this but stay classy Arizona almost senator.

So, that pillar of political thought--Taylor Swift--had her character assassination of Tennessee's Marsha Blackburn (in favor of Democrat Phil Bredesen) blow up in her face. As a local pundit observed, Swift believed one--anyone gave a crap about her opinion in a very red state, and two--she was trying to trade on her long-abandoned "country" identity, when locals wrote her off as running off to become something completely unrelated to her "roots", which Tennessee residents found offensive.

Blackburn's strong senate win was the best example of arrogant "entertainers" belief in their influence failing to change a thing.

At present, this might apply to Oprah in Georgia.

Eh. In the court of opinion I doubt Oprah swayed any voters. The doors she knocked on at least means she went out and did something to endorse or help a candidate. But the houses that she knocked on probably already had registered voters and had already known who they were going to vote for already much like the knock on my parents door. My Mom was still polite but she definitely and firmly said she was voting straight GOP.

Swift's endorsement on the other hand was nothing more than stating something in public that until more young people vote would be meaningless in a state like Tennessee. It didn't so much as backfire I believe but illustrate the difference in the type of voters that turn out to vote.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I'll keep it short: Oprah is an egotistical moron and sanctimonious windbag and needs to keep her mouth shut about politics or promoting any politicians.

The Taylor Swift thing was kind of a backfire. For the longest time she started mum on what her politics were. That was smart because people were seeking her opinion, just like people sought out the opinions of Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods. Her "coming out" statement read more like a political advertisement than a here is my stance. If you or I tweet about our feelings about a political candidate, we know it's gaming on deaf ears. Someone famous does it, they know they're influencing people.

I think the thing that ticked people off the most shot celebrity endorsements that no one talks about is the fact that the celebrity usually had nothing to do with the state. There was a commercial here for an amendment on our ballot that used Kelsey Grammer. My first thought was that he's never lived in Florida. While it's cool for Oprah to stump for someone in Georgia, you have to ask had she lived there? Did she even know the candidate beforehand? Because it kind of looks like she's campaigning for her because she's black.

I'm interested to see what happened to my niece's Taylor Swift love. I like just one song of hers and don't really care about her or her music but I know my sister in law has spent over 3 grand in tickets and travel expenses to go see her twice with her daughters who all emulate and cover her songs.

Oprah is a fad master so I've never liked her much. I am more of a Jerry Springer late afternoon tv watcher.

Donald Trump is president because he used his celebrity to spread conspiracies and idiotic opinions. Way worse than Oprah or Taylor Swift. But I guess there are different rules for Republicans (directed solely at the Trump supporters, so don't get your panties twisted if that isn't you)

Guest El Chalupacabra

Donald Trump is president because he used his celebrity to spread conspiracies and idiotic opinions. Way worse than Oprah or Taylor Swift. But I guess there are different rules for Republicans (directed solely at the Trump supporters, so don't get your panties twisted if that isn't you)

Totally agree. Trump was the worst. I think the thing that annoys me to no end is the hubris of celebrities thinking that their opinion matters more than anyone else's.

But unfortunately, because Trump is president, or the Kardashians and Kanye West are even famous for that matter, to an extent, there are enough morons and idiots out there to prove these celebrities right. For a lot of dumb asses out there, celebrity opinion is king. Too many for my liking for sure! In fact, I fear as the dumbing down of our society continues, said dumb asses have more say in our voting process than people with half a brain.

'....the hubris of celebrities thinking that their opinion matters more than anyone else's.'

Who thinks their opinion matters more? I see celebrities stumping for their favorite politicians-nothing more. Can you show me a quote or something that even suggests they do this because they think their opinion 'matters more'? (And more than what?)

• 1 month later...

I saw an article today talking about how Krysten Sinema was the first bi-sexual senator to be sworn in. My first thought was "that you know of". Second was "who cares?" What does that have to do with her serving as a senator? That she is as likely to sexually harass a female intern at well as a male one?

I saw an article today talking about how Krysten Sinema was the first bi-sexual senator to be sworn in. My first thought was "that you know of". Second was "who cares?" What does that have to do with her serving as a senator? That she is as likely to sexually harass a female intern at well as a male one?

Because the American body politic has an all-consuming obsession with identity politics. Or at least what passes for the left in America does. It's so obviously so far beyond any kind of reasonable concern for equal opportunity and inclusiveness that it is only by being immersed in it constantly that it fails to be seen as the utter and complete insanity that it is. The US progressive's obsession with race and gender far surpasses in raw pathology the worst addiction or obsessive-compulsive disorder you can think of, and is now in the realm of making Alex Jones look reasonable. I don't know how these people function minute by minute, hour by hour. And I say this as someone who has battled alcohol and drug addiction.

This is how polities die.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.