Episode 9 run time

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

Internet rumors are starting to fly around that Episode 9 may end up being even longer than TLJ. Some even are speculating that it could even approach 3 hours. Others even believe it is possible that Episode 9 may be so long it is split into 2 separate movies.

So, simple questions for everyone.

How long do you think would be the ideal run time for Episode 9: how long is too long? Would you be in favor of Episode 9 being a 2-parter?

Personally, if they're having trouble cramming all the plot into one movie, I'd prefer it if they just added a separate movie. Give them both a complete story including a beginning, middle, and end, and have there be a definite break in time and place between the films. There's no law saying that everything has to be a trilogy.

If it's good enough to keep my attention and entertain me for three solid hours, I'm good with that.

But I am not a 7 year old, nor am I the mother of a 7 year old Star Wars fan, so I can say that from my adult-with-a-mature-attention-span-and-a-strong-bladder standpoint.

It makes sense that they turn the trilogy into a quadrilogy in that everyone knows to build a foundation for any franchise 4 walls are required for a ceiling to stay on proper. I'm sure numerology could prove the truth of this theory, but I have discalcula and get my numbers jumbled. So really, you don't want me counting the walls in any house.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Mike Zeroh is the source of this rumor so it can be debunked flat out.

Probably anything he says can. The guy is the biggest liar on youtube, at least when it comes to Star Wars. But there were people speculating Episode 9 may be a long movie after TLJ came out, including myself.

Be that as it may, I personally would be very surprised if episode 9 were split into 2 parts. I doubt it will, but I wouldn't be opposed, either. Or just simply a 2.5 to 3 hour movie, would be fine with me. I think if this is going to be the last Episode film about the Skywalkers, then it really does need to tie up A LOT of loose ends.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think if this is going to be the last Episode film about the Skywalkers, then it really does need to tie up A LOT of loose ends.

I think there are fewer loose ends to tie up in this one than there were in either RotJ or RotS. And both those films did it pretty easily.

For people who didn't mind TLJ, perhaps.

I don't think ones opinion of TLJ matters as far as loose threads go. Really, they could go for a straight-forward attack the First Order plan and that's all that's necessary, though I rather hope there's more to it. Otherwise the only must on their list is killing off Leia along with the strongly implied need to have Rey and Kylo Ren face off.

Comparatively, Return of the Jedi had a similar set of musts, but with the added need to rescue Han.

Being a Prequel, Revenge of the Sith had a whole lot more that we knew needed doing. Turning Anakin, getting rid of Dooku, ending the Clone Wars, creating the Empire, birthing to twins, killing Padme, the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin, destroying the Jedi Order.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't think ones opinion of TLJ matters as far as loose threads go. Really, they could go for a straight-forward attack the First Order plan and that's all that's necessary, though I rather hope there's more to it. Otherwise the only must on their list is killing off Leia along with the strongly implied need to have Rey and Kylo Ren face off.

Comparatively, Return of the Jedi had a similar set of musts, but with the added need to rescue Han.

Being a Prequel, Revenge of the Sith had a whole lot more that we knew needed doing. Turning Anakin, getting rid of Dooku, ending the Clone Wars, creating the Empire, birthing to twins, killing Padme, the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin, destroying the Jedi Order.

i don't have time to get into it, and I am not going to rehash all my issues with TLJ (most issues I think should be reversed or fixed or clarified, which I believe are loose ends as far as I am concerned) but suffice it to say I want to see a little more than just killing Leia off (we don't even know for sure that will even happen), and Rey VS Kylo. I think if JJ and the other writers are smart, they will go longer (2.5+ hours) to address the issues a lot of people have. If they aren't, then we'll get a 90-100 minute movie.

That sounds more like a wish list than loose ends.

I rather expect there to be more as well. All I'm saying is that the basic end to the trilogy could be accomplished with a straight line. Kill bad guys -> Win. There weren't any side-missions that any of the characters were preparing to undertake. All the main characters are alive, well, together, and have just completed learning any lessons the first two movies were teaching them. The bad guys have been reduced in number to basically just one plus a henchman. The main legacy characters are all either dead, or are played by an actress who can't continue the role. The mystery boxes have either been opened or rendered unnecessary.

Any detours along the way to killing bad guys and winning will be optional flavor enhancers. As you said, the bare necessities could easily be handled in a 90 minute movie. So they've basically got the other 45 minutes to add whatever subplots, twists, exposition, or retcons they want (though I don't expect to see the last).

I really wouldn't have a problem with them making 2 more movies. I've often said here I felt the prequels were really a 4 part story and that we lost some important stuff by it being a trilogy. Maybe the same thing applies here. Plus it would be worth it just to hear the cynical yell and scream they are doing it just make more money.

Guest El Chalupacabra

If they do two movies I want episode x, not episode ix part 2. Just cause

I understand that.

There is nothing that says we can't have a quadrilogy. The only thing is if you have an episode 10, some may believe you are starting a 4th trilogy, and expect an episode 11 and 12.

I don't think that personally, but I think there are some fans who would.

IMO, TLJ answered too much rather than not enough. It really depends on what comes next. Do they want to do a second trilogy, and have the First Order win, or does the Resistance win? We need a Rey/Kylo rematch, and ideally Rey using the knowledge from the books to help train others. Poe needs to be a leader, and Finn needs to show that the end of TLJ wasn't just a fluke and he's all in for the Resistance. We need a satisfying story for Leia, which probably needs to be her death.

Things we won't get: the lightsaber story, R2's wake-up alarm, Rey's backstory changing, Snoke's origin story, or Lando screwing a Droid. No matter how much we want those things.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.