American Horror Story : Apocalypse

Iceheart

I could deal with Cowboys and Aliens!

... but I'd rather they do something more like what Alma Katsu did with the Donner Party story in The Hunger. Or a cursed gunslinger kind of thing like the Saint of Killers in Preacher. Or even an Old West version of Midnight, Texas.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think a story about a haunted burlesque house meets High Plains Drifter might be cool. Ghosts and revenge are always a good combo.

I actually wrote a horror/western ages ago.

Cowboys and Aliens was such a disaster that no studio is interested in genre hybrid westerns. There's a few on the indie side, like Bone Tomahawk. Westerns are not cost prohibitive to make, so they already have that going against them. No studio WANTS to make them. That's why the ones we get are almost always prestige projects.

Combining that with a second genre? Financiers just short circuit.

It's a bummer cause you have all sorts of things-- weird frontier cults, Indian spirits and folklore, Victorian era ghost stories-- that's why AHS would actually be great for a western. It wouldn't be out of line for them to throw everything in.

Wild Wild West and Jonah Hex probably didn't do the genre any favors in studios's eyes, either.

But it's not exactly a popular genre even in literature. Which is funny to me because everyone freaks out about dark forests, but man, prairies and deserts with their vast swaths of emptiness are way scarier to me than a bunch of trees.

Guest El Chalupacabra

You know its funny that all through the 20th century, up to the 1970s I'd say (and with the exception of post 1970s break out movies like Tombstone, 310 to Yuma, maybe even Young Guns), Westerns had a huge following, then burned themselves out, and they haven't seemed to recover, since.

Ever since I saw Bone Tomahawk, I have been craving another horror western of that caliber.

Have your read/watched Midnight, Texas yet, Chalup? It's set in 2018, but it's definitely a Weird West story. Not of the same caliber of Bone Tomahawk, it's a Charlaine Harris (of True Blood fame) story, but it's probably the closest to how AHS would handle a Weird West story.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Have your read/watched Midnight, Texas yet, Chalup? It's set in 2018, but it's definitely a Weird West story. Not of the same caliber of Bone Tomahawk, it's a Charlaine Harris (of True Blood fame) story, but it's probably the closest to how AHS would handle a Weird West story.

I'll look into it, but no, I haven't seen it yet.

I'm surprised you guys liked Bone Tomahawk. It was competent for an indie horror film, but I didn't think it was all that.

It had Kurt Russell, so that's what got me to watch. I am not saying it's Tombstone or anything, but I was pleasantly surprised. I went into it expecting it to suck. For me, it had a bit of The Searchers vibe to it, with some horror thrown in.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.