American Horror Story : Apocalypse

Iceheart

• 5 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

I'm always in, even when it's bad. But yeah, this looks like a redemption for Coven.

Me too. Even bad AHS is better than most of the drivel out there. The only real criticism I have of AHS is the seasons tend to run several episodes too long, and seem to have too much filler in the middle episodes.

Sony sure is taking a lot of liberties with the Spider-Man franchise.

Well, Coven basically featured the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters, so makes sense. But that said, my first reaction was Bring out the Gimp!

I've had a weird history with this show:

American Horror Story: Murder House

Loved it, top to bottom, front to back

American Horror Story: Asylum

Skipped it (hate the insane asylum horror sub genre)

American Horror Story: Coven

Liked it a lot despite its issues

American Horror Story: Freak Show

Skipped it (hate the horror clown subgenre)

American Horror Story: Hotel

Loved it, top to bottom, front to back. Had the most emotionally resonant character arc with that trans mofo)

American Horror Story: Roanoke

Made it about halfway through the premiere before quitting the season. What a shitty premise.

American Horror Story: Cult

Skipped it. (Its gonna be a long time before I can consume Trump or Trump tropes as entertainment, if I ever can)

American Horror Story: Apocalypse

Really excited for this

Oh! I want to play!

Murder House: Read the pilot a year before it was made and thought it was dumb and derivative. Eventually watched it a couple years late and realized the script did not convey the crazy tone. Once that I got that the idea was to intentionally throw everything at the wall, I was in. Loved it.

Asylum: SUPER loved Asylum. The amount of crazy thrown into this one was hilarious. Nazi scientists, aliens, possessed nuns, A Santa serial killer, even a musical episode! I loved it.

Coven: Major disappointment. The promos for this one were so cool that my expectations were high. I loved the characters, but at the same time this one felt most like they were making it up as it went.

Freak Show: Really uneven. Anything with Sarah Paulson and Jessica Lange was great, everything else was very meh.

Hotel: Probably my favorite season. It meandered a little, but I thought it was sexy, cool, and everything AHS promised to be that it lacked in the previous two seasons.

Roanoke: It was okay. I didn't love the premise, but it had a few gold moments. Ultimately forgettable though.

Cult: If they hadn't tried to cash in on the clown thing this could have been great. Like Coven, it felt like they were making it up as they went and characters did **** that made no sense based on what they were doing a few episodes before. Ultimately average, with moments of gold and moments of WTF.

Apocalypse: As I said, it looks like it's what I wanted Coven to be, so fingers crossed. Seems like a logical follow up to Cult. After this they're going to have to go into space.

OH GOD I HOPE THEY GO TO SPACE

So, gun to my head: 5, 2, 1, 4, 6, 7, 3.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Oh! I want to play!

Murder House: Read the pilot a year before it was made and thought it was dumb and derivative. Eventually watched it a couple years late and realized the script did not convey the crazy tone. Once that I got that the idea was to intentionally throw everything at the wall, I was in. Loved it.

Asylum: SUPER loved Asylum. The amount of crazy thrown into this one was hilarious. Nazi scientists, aliens, possessed nuns, A Santa serial killer, even a musical episode! I loved it.

Coven: Major disappointment. The promos for this one were so cool that my expectations were high. I loved the characters, but at the same time this one felt most like they were making it up as it went.

Freak Show: Really uneven. Anything with Sarah Paulson and Jessica Lange was great, everything else was very meh.

Hotel: Probably my favorite season. It meandered a little, but I thought it was sexy, cool, and everything AHS promised to be that it lacked in the previous two seasons.

Roanoke: It was okay. I didn't love the premise, but it had a few gold moments. Ultimately forgettable though.

Cult: If they hadn't tried to cash in on the clown thing this could have been great. Like Coven, it felt like they were making it up as they went and characters did **** that made no sense based on what they were doing a few episodes before. Ultimately average, with moments of gold and moments of WTF.

Apocalypse: As I said, it looks like it's what I wanted Coven to be, so fingers crossed. Seems like a logical follow up to Cult. After this they're going to have to go into space.

OH GOD I HOPE THEY GO TO SPACE

So, gun to my head: 5, 2, 1, 4, 6, 7, 3.

I largely agree with you on everything you said, but I have yet to see Cult.

Murder House was pretty good, and was the first season I saw and made me want to see more. I have a particular revulsion for Coven. Just everything plot-wise about it was dumb, and if it weren't for Lang, Bates, and Bassett, I'd have nothing good to say about that season. It's a tough call between Asylum and Hotel. Those are my top 2. I actually liked the first half of Roanoke. Once they started in with the reality TV BS, I hated it. I liked Freak Show, but it was uneven.

I came at it a little differently because I knew it was an anthology and I didn't get into it right away, so I might as well rate them as I watched them...

Coven: I think we all know how much I despise the usual Hollywood depictions of witches, especially when Voodoo is involved, but I heard from trusted friends that this one was perfectly fine and also takes place in New Orleans with Angela Bassett playing Marie Laveau and Kathy Bates playing Delphine LaLaurie OH AND Papa Legba (an Orisha I particularly like) is a character. So, I gave it a shot. And while I recognize that it was a weak season considering, it'll always hold a special place in my heart for not literally demonizing witches like everyone else is doing nowadays, even if I think they missed the mark a bit with their depiction of Papa. And I'll watch almost anything set in New Orleans.

Hotel: I was so impressed by Coven that I watched Hotel as it aired, because Lady Gaga and vampires, hell yes. ****ing AMAZING I was 110% hooked after that.

Murder House: which I went to next because the internet made me aware that there were a few things in Hotel that hearkened back to Murder House. Not as good as Hotel, but still entirely entertaining.

Asylum: like Dex, I was NOT interested in this season, because I heard it's an asylum horror story with demonic possession and aliens and Nazis, and I didn't trust ANYONE to tell a story that convoluted. But so many people swear this is the best season, so I went into it, and was pleasantly surprised at how well they made everything work. Before Hotel and Cult, I definitely would have rated this one my #1.

Roanoke. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE God, that was a ****show. So awful. I saw it through to the end, but ****. Even though I actually have a slight personal connection to the M U R D E R nurses (that was a real murder case, like pretty much everything on this show). I seriously wonder how they screwed this up so badly.

Freak Show: I wanted to like it a lot. It had some really, really good stuff in it. But as a whole it was just meh.

Cult: Absolutely up there with Hotel, neck and neck as far as I'm concerned. I adored it. The costumes, the characters, Ally and Kai's psychological dance... excellent, even though I much prefer supernatural horror to serial killer horror. I think the only reason I'm not tying it with Hotel is Lena Dunham... who gave a perfectly solid performance, she's just Lena Dunham, y'know?

So... 5, 7, 2, 1, 3, 4, 6.

Cult: If they hadn't tried to cash in on the clown thing this could have been great.

Honestly, I dug it, and here's why - the season took place in "Macomb County, Michigan," so, basically, a suburb of Detroit.

Detroit is the hometown of Insane Clown Posse, THE horror clowns after Pennywise. Juggalos are a THING here.

So, when actual evil clowns started popping up in Detroit (and around the country) in 2016 - just before the election - we all joked that it was just a second Gathering of the Juggalos, and you'll be fine and probably make a new friend if you just share a Faygo Redpop with them and give a hearty Whoop Whoop.

So, it made way more sense to me than anything else they could have done that they went "Satanic Killer Clowns" considering East Michigan (Detroit also has the largest Satanic Temple in the country, not that Cult depicted real Satanists, but it would make sense for Kai to divert attention to the people who famously erected a giant statue of Baphomet in the area) and also evil clowns being a very real thing at the time the story is set.

I was flipping through the reviews this morning, and I guess there's no pleasing some people, most were wishy-washy on it. I don't get it, I was thoroughly entertained.

My predictions for how this is going to go down:

The safe house is Robichaux's. I read somewhere that the season takes place in New Orleans. I'm a little sad that it's during nuclear winter, I was hoping to see some of the Big Easy. Not that I won't be seeing it in person in a few months.

All of the witches are dead at this point. Hence Misty, Queenie, Myrtle, etc being MC's.

Papa Legba is the reason the witches who didn't die in the Mayfair Mansion or who died there but got stuck in Hell can be there - he's the Loa of the Crossroads, he can do that. And he wouldn't be too happy about the Antichrist in his stomping grounds.

If LA was obliterated, so was the Murder House and Hotel Cortez, hence the Harmons and Queenie being able to be in New Orleans. I wouldn't be surprised if Papa has something to do with that, too.

Venable won't make the cut for the safe house. I mean, Orphan Black managed to have one actress play like 10 different characters in the same show, but she never played more than four at a time, and that was only very briefly in the season finales. I can't see them wanting to pit Venable against Cordelia Foxx too often, especially if they have two other actors playing multiple roles on top of that - that's a whole lot of extra filming. Besides, Venable is a schemer with no real respect for authority (unlike Ms. Mead), I can't see Michael tolerating that. I can see Venable surviving and coming back for an eleventh hour upset, though.

What I don't get right now:

The world has already been destroyed. What is this supposed to be the "beginning" of, and why do ghost witches care? Clearly, there's supposed to be some eugenics happening, but if the safe houses are all being breached by what I assume are nuclear mutants, it seems like the problem is taking care of itself. Besides... why weren't these bunkers better supplied? Only 18 months of food? What did they think nuclear winter was, anyway? And if they're supposed to be re-populating the world, why are there so few Purples? And why would Venable make sex punishable by death (beyond the psychological torture of it)?

Speaking of psychological torture, the repeating song over and over in the common room was a nice nod to Asylum. And wasn't that the song from Asylum they switched it to when Michael arrived? (edit - nope, it's from Murder House. Ha, even more appropriate.)

Anyway... roll on next week.

I watch/write so many shows/stories with deep mythologies, I don't have the capacity to retain it all. So most all the nods and references to other seasons are lost on me while I watch.

I know we see Cordelia in the trailer, but I'm not convinced that isn't a flashback and that Venable is an older Cordelia have stolen the identity of whomever was supposed to run the outpost. That said, AHS (and this is one reason I always stick with it) is the ONLY show I watch where I can't predict everything that';s coming.

I liked it except that the characters' constant bitching started to grate on my nerves by the end of the episode. I'm sure that was the point, to show how awful this would be. But they really came close to me fast forwarding by the end.

I doubt this will be an issue moving forward, looks like they're moving soon.

The opening act was pitch perfect.

So, just in case you wondered what my brain does as I'm falling asleep, it decided to make this connection last night and mind=blown (even though it's probably a coincidence):

web_cast_codyfern_american-horror-story_

48abf4b4dc7408b2b10a08eddfed10e6.jpg

No but really. They're both the antichrist, they both bring about the apocalypse and a horrifying monster-filled post-apocalypse, they're both SUPER pretty, they both have really fabulous flow-y blonde hair, they're both fashion sluts with a penchant for purple, they both ridiculously sparkle whenever the camera is on them...

I watch/write so many shows/stories with deep mythologies, I don't have the capacity to retain it all. So most all the nods and references to other seasons are lost on me while I watch.

I know we see Cordelia in the trailer, but I'm not convinced that isn't a flashback and that Venable is an older Cordelia have stolen the identity of whomever was supposed to run the outpost. That said, AHS (and this is one reason I always stick with it) is the ONLY show I watch where I can't predict everything that';s coming.

So do I. But my brain absorbs and retains pointless trivia like a sponge and likes to free-associate. For instance, see above.

I'd be with you on your Venable/Cordelia theory if it wasn't for that scene where Venable and Mead got together to play cards and wear purple. Cordelia isn't conniving or needlessly cruel, so something would have had to happen to her to be so convincing in private.

Unless she's feeling out Mead's loyalties. But unless being The Supreme gave her long-game con abilities, it still goes against character - Cordelia was pretty shy and complacent until she completed the Seven Wonders. And then, she went public... everyone knows her face. She would have had to learn about the Cooperative (easy enough with her visions), find the Cooperative (getting more complicated), infiltrate the Cooperative, and also very publicly run a witch school. I just can't see her doing that. But then, I'm thinking logically, and logic ain't this show's strong suit.

This show might bring me back to twitter. I checked the AHS HT to see if anyone had any more insights on what Mead is supposed to be (current theory seems to be Ice Cream Machine), and it was a whole lot of dealing with being sexually attracted to the Antichrist, trying to figure out what eyeshadow palate the Antichrist uses, getting REALLY excited about Evan Peters having sex with Evan Peters, and Dynasty memes.

I'd take any advice on the eyeshadow, infernal or otherwise, because I really like the hot pink/red trend but I look like this when I try it:

tumblr_n9q3t6edwl1sbaphio1_500.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.