Apple can go **** itself

Interesting, I was reading a Forbes article about Windows potentially becoming a subscription service. I have a media server running Ubuntu (Linux), and if I start having to pay for Windows, or Windows updates (especially security updates), I'll be switching my laptop as well. I actually like Ubuntu more than Windows, but it doesn't have all the drivers so I've held off. But it keeps getting better.

Interesting, I was reading a Forbes article about Windows potentially becoming a subscription service. I have a media server running Ubuntu (Linux), and if I start having to pay for Windows, or Windows updates (especially security updates), I'll be switching my laptop as well. I actually like Ubuntu more than Windows, but it doesn't have all the drivers so I've held off. But it keeps getting better.

I had a Office subscription through the U of Colorado. Once my account expired, I couldn't email or save as the document (totally my fault, the account expiration notices were sent to my old student email account which I never check). The only way I found to retrieve my old stuff was through print as a .pdf and then send that .pdf to myself which in turn loses almost all but the most basic formatting. Fortunately, those documents were not heavily formatted so it was fairly easy to clean them up in Google Docs. If any of those documents were heavily formatted I would have to renew my Office subscription (which only comes as an annual subscription) to retrieve them. I now use Google Docs almost exclusively. Although I have a an Office subscription through my work, I rarely have the need for it.

My concern with a Office and Windows subscription model, is that it isn't like Netflix or Spotify. As you use Office, your dependence grows and makes it more difficult to switch to a competitor and thus, makes it easier for them to slowly add a dollar here and a dollar there to its annual fee.

I love the Mac OS and I want to dump Windows. However, as previously stated as a computer gamer Macs with high end graphics capability are twice as expensive as a computer running Windows and the Windows experience is not that much worse to justify the additional cost.

Not to bring back the whole apple Vs windows argument. I'm not here to change people's minds because I won't. I just don't understand how people can rage against a company and it's changes to their hardware etc.. And still have brand loyalty for some reason. I don't get it. You don't owe apple anything. I said the Stockholm syndrome as a joke but I'm kind of serious too. I used apple for years and years. Then I made the switch last year or the year before. You know what complaints I have about my PC? None. I ****ing love it. It hasn't faltered once. Granted it is a desktop and I build it from parts with the assistance of my PC nerd mate... But we could've just as easy done the same with building a laptop. As far as my Android phone goes my only complaint is the camera is not top of the range. But otherwise it does everything and more than my iPhone.

So here both Tank and Endar have been annoyed, exasperated and curse apple all the time. And yet you still maintain brand loyalty because...... Shiny? Slick? Marketing? Church of Apple? The superbrand? I just don't get the faith.

Just to clarify, I don't have brand loyalty to Apple. In the choices I had for my laptop for work, my choices were a brand new Mac or a three-year-old (and much slower and heavier) PC. I have a PC at home and I think it is fine. I am starting to look at a new desktop and will likely buy a PC for the reasons mentioned above. The gap is quality between the PC and a Mac is not big enough to justify the additional cost.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.