Apple can go **** itself

I took the leap last December and bought the iPhoneX. My hangup was the lack of an aux port. I know it comes with the adapter, but because I sleep with earbuds in AND I misplace them frequently; I have to have multiple pairs.

I find out I am getting a brand new Mac laptop for work. Freaking sweet. Last night I laid down to watch some Netflix in bed. I go to plug in my earbuds only to find a ****ing aux port. WTF!!! AND they only have two USB C connections....one of which is the power. So if anyone wants to do anything, I need to buy brand new expensive ass docking stations for staff that have the new Macs.

I would be cool with only the USB C because of moving forward with new hardware, but don't throw in the aux for my convenience when they forced me to get rid of those old earbuds with the X.

My man.

Apple can go eat a bag of dicks. I converted back to PC earlier this year and got an android phone... I've never looked back. There is simply no reason to use Mac these days unless for work everyone uses the same system. But I mean, arguments for user-friendliness are null and void now cause Windows 10 is great in the user friendliness department. But then with PC you also have autonomy over your machine. Put in more ram, a new graphics card, a new drive if you've the space? No problem. With Apple? not a chance. They don't upgrade machines anymore you've got to buy a new one. Furthermore, because they use intel architecture now they've been using cheaper parts inside their Macbooks and iMacs... yet still charging the Apple premium because they're so sleek and grey.

fuck apple.

I remember in the 90s everyone said "fuck windows, Bill Gates is a nazi capitalist bastard, get an apple. They're so user friendly and punk and cool". Now look at them. Bunch of money hungry wankers removing ports and functionality from their products so you have to keep buying new ones, usually every time you've upgraded your IOS that one time too many so your device functions at a slow crawl. The motherfuckers.

After 30 years I still deel like windows is unweildy and ugly and not intuative.

I've been an Apple guy since 1988. I curse them daily but I keep getting new devices because they still look, perform, and operate better.

But the planned obsolescence, the proprietary peripheral game, the mark up, their terrible self made software, and their locking out of certain functions make me curse them daily.

I have been on the **** Apple train since before that goofball ****ed that apple pie in that movie. But I am am a hardware kind of guy. I like upgrading by myself and fiddling when the urge strikes. Software people seem to like Apple.

Microsoft gets a bad wrap security wise, which it should based on statistics, but the PC is a lot more flexible than a Mac, and there are compromises. I really hate how hard apple has the hardware side locked down. The standardization of bus interfaces and allowing different manufacturers to make components that a consumer could purchase and plug into their computer, regardless of manufacturer, had a lot to do with with the growth of PCs back when people cared about hardware. Now people care about apps more than hardware, and apps do add a lot of flexibility to devices, but flexibility still comes with a cost.

I remember in the 90s everyone said "**** windows, Bill Gates is a nazi capitalist bastard, get an apple. They're so user friendly and punk and cool".

Always liked Bill Gates. Of all the famous people I ever got in arms reach of, he was the only one I wanted to go all fan boy over and ask for an autograph. I'm supposed to hate him because he knows what something is worth more than his competition does? I like the killer instinct.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Apple computers are sh*t in an enterprise environment. I hate working on them. Newer models of Macbooks and iMacs are LITERALLY glued together. WTF. Also, every single thing you have to do to set one up for a user is 100,000 times more complicated than it needs to be. It's a constant source of irritation when I have a professor ask me to spec out a computer for them based on their research and software needs, only to be told they want a Mac because their 14 year old daughter says they are the best around. Then, almost always, I have to install Parallels because their software or app only runs on Windows. Thank goodness for JAMF, which really makes deployment a cinch! Why Apple couldn't have come up with something like that before is beyond me.

But for home use, they are OK and I can understand why some like them. I still say OSX is just basically a glorfied version of closed source Linux. I used to have an iMac PowerPC G5. Sold it just before it went completely obsolete. At work, I have a 2016 i7 Macbook air. Love the fact it is light, but goddammitt I have to remote into/use my Windows box to actually do the work I need to do (AD management, SCCM, scripting, etc).

As for iPhones and iPads...I'd never own an iPhone. I'm a Samsung guy. But I used to have an iPad 1. Loved it, but see above about built in obsolescence.

Let's add up my Apple stuff...

1988 Mac Plus

1993 Quadra 650

1999 Power Mac 7200

1999 Powerbook 310 (was old and used)

2004 Power Mac G4

2005 iPod (4th gen)

2006 MacBook

2007 iPod (6th gen)

2008 iPhone 2

2010 Apple TV (2nd gen)

2011 iPhone 4

2011 iPad II

2012 MacBook Air

2012 iMac i7

2013 Apple TV (2nd gen)

2014 iPhone 6

2015 iMac 4k Retina

2016 Apple TV (3rd gen)

2016 iPhone 7

2017 iPad Pro

2018 iPhone X

From 95-2010 I worked as a graphic designer, and that industry is what kept Apple alive in the 90s. Photoshop didn't feel right on Windows until the early 2000s and pre unified file formats Mac was just the way to go.

I tended to have second tier machine one gen behind at home, and most of my jobs kept me on top of the line stuff.

The iPhones have been a trap of upgrades and scheduled obsolescence since day one-- but in the early days before everything was centered on apps with cloud and google support, the only way to sync my life beetween work and home and phone was to have an iPhone.

The best machines I ever owned were the MacBook and the MacBook air. I took them everywhere. The first became my on the road editing system when I began working more as an editor. The Air replaced it, and became my mobile writing system as I switched over to writing full time. I'd still be using it (light, solid state) but the iPad Pro has replaced it. It's probably my favorite apple product at the moment.

I can use the pro as a writing system, it will mirror my big system for the occasional graphics work I do for pitches and work as mirror drawing pad (for a fraction of a price of a cintiq), and it is much easier to watch movies in bed on than a laptop.

The first iPad was a dumb buy. I thought it would be useful, but it ended up being an overpriced nook. It also died.

Most of these were justfied for work, but I probably dodn't need to replace my imac after a few years to my current system. The older iMac is my son's, and is just now started to be unable to run newer stuff. I felt like the upgrade was justifiable when I did it, but I can't recall why I did it.

Speaking of my son, I suppose I should add his iPhone 6 to the list (it's his grandma's old phone). And even tbough I didn't buy them, my gf has a personal macbook pro, a second one for work, and IPad pro, and a iPhone 7.

So there's literally seven Apple devices in our house...

...well nine if you count the Apple TVs, TWO of which crapped out. I will never buy one of those crap boxes again considering you can get Fire TV for a tenth of the price.

If there's one Apple product I would say sucks and I regret, it's the Apple TVs... too bad I had to buy 3 before realizing that. Though to be fair, the first one was pre-Amazon fire TV...

... and I have two FireTVs, an Alexa (with 3 dots).

... and a Nook...

... and a Google Wifi Mesh system...

And a PS4

And an Xbox One X

And I just got a 75" TV

I may have a tech addiction.

I dropped my iPhone 6 SE and cracked the screen. Instead of fixing the screen I opted for an upgrade and got an iPhone 7 - not at bargain prices - and I hate it. The scheduled obsolete decline has already started on a phone I've only had for 2 months. I am lame about playing Pokemon Go and it drifts and the gps sucks.

But at home give me my Levono desktop or laptops now. The quality of Macs has actually declined and Microsoft's security software is fantastic.

I have a Dell monitor at home and it's okay but the school has a ton of Dell's and dealing with their tech support can be kinda aweful.

My Samsung tablet has recently started ads in its screen saver. While yes it's super old it's kinda freaky to hear an ad coming from your desk while I'm cooking in the kitchen and realize it's not the teevee but some freaky screen saver ad.

So in a nutshell - all electronics have their ups and downs. You will be damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Apple is ****. And get the **** out of here with that syncing bull****. Let me drag and drop files, for grifes sake. Only Apple product I ever used on a regular basis was an iTouch for music. That got tossed once I began using my old Android phone as an MP3 player when I upgraded.

Oh, I don't use iTunes. Like I said, their software is crap for reasons like that.

You can turn off sync and manually drag and drop. Or you can make a singular dedicated directory/playlist for syncing that you can move music in and out of in iTunes and sync when you want those songs on.

I bailed on iTunes when they tried to force Apple music on everyone which forced you to consolidate your iTunes library to the cloud, which completely screwed anything you had ripped yourself.

I am very pro spotify. I pay $10 a month and rarely am I unable to find things. It syncs and hands off playback between all my devices and I don't have to manage any media.

I only use iTunes to rent movies, and only when they are something not available on Amazon.

As much as I hate to say it, but I would go 100% Mac if I didn't play computer games that require a large amount of processing power (Macs cost nearly double a PC for the specs I want). Which is weird, because like Tank said, their software is shit. I don't use any of their software. I use Spotify, Google Docs, Chrome....

It took some time for me to get over the loss of the aux port. But if they are going to say no more Aux...then do it across the board. I can't stand all these adapters...and don't tell me that forcing me to buy adapters isn't part of the business plan.

I say their software is shit, but I do think OSX as a platform is far superior to anything else. Windows will never seem legit to me. It's aesthetic is ugly, and it's inconsistent. It can be blazing fast and stable on one machine, and be a complete shit show on another. The effort to trouble shoot issues is never one I've wanted to make.

I don't love Apple's attempts to make mu life easier (cause it has the opposite effect) but once you ditch their app switcher/launcher and customize the system the way you want, it's far a more stable and pleasing UX experience.

Just don't use any software with an "i" in front of it.

I say their software is ****, but I do think OSX as a platform is far superior to anything else. Windows will never seem legit to me. It's aesthetic is ugly, and it's inconsistent. It can be blazing fast and stable on one machine, and be a complete **** show on another. The effort to trouble shoot issues is never one I've wanted to make.

I don't love Apple's attempts to make mu life easier (cause it has the opposite effect) but once you ditch their app switcher/launcher and customize the system the way you want, it's far a more stable and pleasing UX experience.

Do you have any recommendations for a free alternative to iMovie for ipad?

I say their software is ****, but I do think OSX as a platform is far superior to anything else. Windows will never seem legit to me. It's aesthetic is ugly, and it's inconsistent. It can be blazing fast and stable on one machine, and be a complete **** show on another. The effort to trouble shoot issues is never one I've wanted to make.

Do you have any recommendations for a free alternative to iMovie for ipad?

Free? Not really. I haven't done much editing on IOS, mostly since I don't have to. I know my kid has picked up a few different shareware editors to edit his minecraft videos, but they are OSX. Do you specifically need them for mobile?

Wow. That sounds like a horrible problem, Ender. I almost got into a fight with three guys in a Walgreens parking lot last night because one of them asked me for money and I said no. They didn't like it.

Any recommendations?

Wow. That sounds like a horrible problem, Ender. I almost got into a fight with three guys in a Walgreens parking lot last night because one of them asked me for money and I said no. They didn't like it.

Any recommendations?

Why do you have to be that guy? Why can't you post your random shitty shit on the random shit thread instead of ****ing with his?

Ah, maybe because it actually happened to me in real life and consequently find it strange when people complain about an electronic device?

Go to sleep, kid. I’m sure there’s a thumbsickle nearby.

Ah, maybe because it actually happened to me in real life and consequently find it strange when people complain about an electronic device?

Go to sleep, kid. I’m sure there’s a thumbsickle nearby.

I debated as to whether or not to reply to you. I am going to go ahead and do so in the hopes my response will cause to to grow. I am sure whether or not this happens, you will reply with some snarky remark.

First, obviously I am not as upset as my title states. I agree with Tank in believing Mac's OS is far superior to Windows's OS. I don't think it is unreasonable to spend $1150 on a phone with the understanding that it is moving forward with the new technology, forcing you to spend money upgrading peripherals to a new technology only to release a new device to use the old technology forcing you to but costly adapters for backwards comparability for the new peripherals. This can easily run in the hundreds of dollars.

Second, regarding looking for recommendations for a free iMovie substitute, I am the new principal of a turnaround PK-8 school of approximately 1000 students (this is the second school I have been hired to turnaround). The majority of the students in the school qualify for free/ reduced lunch...meaning their parents have lower income. I have found that a video production class and student run TV news program improve school culture and community efficacy and thus improves student achievement and growth. Our technology teacher has never taught video production and is unfamiliar with any video editing software. My previous school also used iMovie, but we were frustrated by some of the limitations. Since it is a brand new program, I figured we might start with a better product than iMovie. I have talked to Tank in the past about similar issues and I trust his opinion. Furthermore, yes, it is free. I have very little discretionary money left to spend and buying video editing software is not a priority when iMovie works decent enough.

Not to bring back the whole apple Vs windows argument. I'm not here to change people's minds because I won't. I just don't understand how people can rage against a company and it's changes to their hardware etc.. And still have brand loyalty for some reason. I don't get it. You don't owe apple anything. I said the Stockholm syndrome as a joke but I'm kind of serious too. I used apple for years and years. Then I made the switch last year or the year before. You know what complaints I have about my PC? None. I ****ing love it. It hasn't faltered once. Granted it is a desktop and I build it from parts with the assistance of my PC nerd mate... But we could've just as easy done the same with building a laptop. As far as my Android phone goes my only complaint is the camera is not top of the range. But otherwise it does everything and more than my iPhone.

So here both Tank and Endar have been annoyed, exasperated and curse apple all the time. And yet you still maintain brand loyalty because...... Shiny? Slick? Marketing? Church of Apple? The superbrand? I just don't get the faith.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.