Your Musical Opinions!

Iceheart

Guest El Chalupacabra

Joan Jett is overrated and should not be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Two of her biggest hits are covers.

This caused an argument at work last year.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, like the Grammys and Oscars are a sham and just a glorified high school prom queen popularity contests. Which is why I don't pay attention to them. I mean when the likes of Grand Master Flash, Laura Nyro, Bonnie Rait, and the Ojays are in the R&R Hall of Fame, something is wrong. They all may have a following, and some may even be good, but they are NOT rock and roll, or a genre descended from it, like classic rock, metal, etc.

That said Joan Jett is pretty fun to watch live, though. In reality, she probably got in based on her entire body of work, including the Runaways, and IMHO she definitely deserved the induction WAYYY more than those I listed above.

The RRHOF usually separates artists solo and band careers. As an argument(for anything considered HOF) I just don't think she had enough of a catalog to warrant it. It's why I had a huge problem with Guns N Roses being first ballot. I don't think a band should get in on the strength of 2 albums.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The RRHOF usually separates artists solo and band careers. As an argument(for anything considered HOF) I just don't think she had enough of a catalog to warrant it. It's why I had a huge problem with Guns N Roses being first ballot. I don't think a band should get in on the strength of 2 albums.

Yeah I don't know how they do that. Like I said, to me, they are just popularity contests, much of the time politically motivated. I don't check to see, nor is it a prerequisite for someone (or band) I like to listen to, to be in the RRHOF or not.

With Joan Jett in particular, she's the type of musician I don't actively seek out. Just when she gets air play or on a randomized playlist. But I think she is fun to see live. I don't know if it would have occurred to me to put her in the RRHOF myself, but she deserves it more than others that are already there.

Lol. It became an argument because I was called sexist for saying Jett didn't belong in the HOF.

See what I mean? Politics. I hate how everything is reduced to a variation of political debate when someone disagrees, anymore! Especially when it comes to entertainment. Why can't someone not like something, and it NOT be because you are sexist or whatever?

The discussion started when one of the other managers, who is a huge Kiss fan, was railing on the HOF only inducting certain members and not everyone who's played in the band. We got into how the Moody Blues got in last year. Whether their body of work warranted it because they weren't THAT influential. I started in on GNR and then Joan Jett. One of the female managers chimed in on my Joan Jett comment and called me sexist. Since she was younger than the rest of us I asked her to give a reason she belonged. I checked off a list of why I thought she didn't. She admitted to not knowing a lot of her music, but thought she was a badass. Nice but weak. I think Pat Benatar is badass, but it's she Rock? More than Public Enemy, but her catalog is better than Jett's.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.