Tank's shameless self promotion thread... (Hell Fest... and more!)

Tank

Guest El Chalupacabra

Eh, I'm not too concerned about reviews. The horror outlets are mostly positive, main stream press rarely lines horror unless it's prestige... nerds with blogs are just something I have to tune out. Fan reaction is still mostly positive and we're turning a profit now. It's also exactly what I wanted it to be. We never set out to redefine the genre, just make a genuine slasher film. So I'm pretty happy about it!

I think Hell Fest was simple, to the point, and straight forward. Like I said, accomplishes what it seemed to me it was designed to be: a fun Halloween-season popcorn movie. Congrats Tank. I hope it continues to do well.

I haven't seen Hell Fest yet because I have a bad cold and don't want to be THAT person in the theater :(

But! Not only did I actually get a Hulu subscription recently, I have Light as a Feather saved to my queue, and I have a cold and therefore need to lie low this weekend. You'll be glad to know they've been hammering me with ads for it.

Apple news decided to tell me today that Bustle is comparing Light as a Feather to Pretty Little Liars and Riverdale, and predicting that the cast are about to explode into stardom. Hopefully that explosion happens for the writer, too...

I happen to have full control over a tv we have in my company's staff break room. Since I have declared it Spooktober and we have a lunch party scheduled today, I decided to make the company watch Light as a Feather all day. If this turns out to be some kind of grindhouse style ultralviolence and ultrasex kinda show I'm hauling you into my disciplinary meeting, Tank.

Okay, imagine me having this conversation with Ron Swanson, because that's basically exactly who I was talking to:

Him: "What is this?"

Me: "It's this new Hulu show called Light as a Feather."

Him: "It looks terrible."

Me: "My friend wrote it, so..."

Him: "It still looks terrible."

He's not exactly the demographic you're aiming for, anyway :lol:

Well we had a bit of a spike on Hell Fest. We're up to $10m worldwide, which is now double the budget-- so we are actually squeaking toward sequel territory.

And not to jinx it, but outside of Icy's workmates, I haven't seen a single negative thing being said about Light as a Feather on social media.

I already deleted a comment from Destiny on FB where she noted all my years on nightly talking to teenage girls now counts as market research.

I mean, WE know it's funny-- but the this is not the world to make such jokes in!

Well we had a bit of a spike on Hell Fest. We're up to $10m worldwide, which is now double the budget-- so we are actually squeaking toward sequel territory.

And not to jinx it, but outside of Icy's workmates, I haven't seen a single negative thing being said about Light as a Feather on social media.

Yeah, I read a review today that was very positive. I cancelled my Hulu recently, just had too many services and all that, but it runs through Nov 1, so Im gonna try to watch.

I mean, WE know it's funny-- but the this is not the world to make such jokes in!

My intent was to make the post, let people get a laugh, and delete. Nightly isn't a hotspot that gets super archived, nor is it as public as Facebook/Twitter/social media in general. But then you posted what she said, which makes me wonder if it's worth deleting my joke, since mine is a lot more obvious than what you posted.

But to anyone reading this, there hasn't been a teenager on Nightly for a long time. We're all old and grouchy but started when we were teenagers or in our twenties.

Also, this is probably a good time to scrub the archives before someone's life gets ruined. I mean, look at James Gunn. Tank could have to start working on DC movies. :shudder:

Looks like a fairly normal decline for a modest success to me. Maybe I'm too busy looking at blockbusters. I can imagine that smallish horror releases often have a single weekend and immediately flatline. So perhaps my expectations are a bit off and it doing anything after the first weekend is cause for celebration?

It all seems to be domestic though. What little international numbers I see are from fairly small countries. Will it be seeing a release in some of the bigger international territories eventually to goose its figures a bit?

Anyway, congrats Tank. I've kinda stayed off the thread because you're working on a genre I just don't personally watch. Your description of Light as a Feather as a "supernatural teen soap" got me interested, but the trailer seemed to be pretty straight-up horror. Marketing messing around?

Based on the first episode, it definitely isn't straight up horror. Hulu has it listed as something like "Spooky not Scary" in the Huluween categories

Yeah, I still haven't been able to sit with it and actually watch (ended up with a terrible headache all weekend), but from what was playing in the break room as I was prepping the party, it's pretty firmly in the Buffy/Charmed/Supernatural/The Vampire Diaries kinda territory. I wouldn't show it to a nervous five year old, but there's nothing that will give a grown person any nightmares.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.