Why the difference in opinion between critics and fans on TLJ

The Choc

Guest El Chalupacabra

It's not that I have a problem Yoda appeared. I'm okay with that. It's the execution of how he was bought in. Like it was a first draft idea. It could have stood to have some revision. Which, I think, anyway, really kind of describes TLJ in general.

Since when does a force ghost have powers? Yoda just force-burned down the tree and it makes me wonder if Yoda had these powers why doesn't he help fight the bad guys ever since he died?

Since The Last Jedi came out I guess. I guess he doesn't help the good guys from beyond the grave for the same reason Obi Wan didn't just use the Force to throw the switch on the Death Star's tractor beams.

Well Obi did say that if Darth struck him down he would become more powerful than he could possibly imagine. I guess that meant becoming a force ghost who’s only purpose was to explain away plot holes from a certain point of view.

Since when does a force ghost have powers? Yoda just force-burned down the tree and it makes me wonder if Yoda had these powers why doesn't he help fight the bad guys ever since he died?

On that note, since when was using hyperdrive a way to make a ship into the ultimate weapon? If that were a thing, why didnt the rebels in SW try that sooner?

Thanks, TLJ.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Off the top of my head, and counting EU....Freedon Nadd, Exar Kun, and Naga Sadow were all sith lords who later became force ghosts, and all had abilities as ghosts to attack the living.

As to why Yoda didn't interfere, I agree he should have, but perhaps there is something that prevents jedi force ghosts from interfering in the living world (Obi Wan did tell Luke he could not interfere in TESB): either a code of some type, or they physically can't effect change very long (see below).

Maybe it took massive effort of will to manifest himself and do that trick for Luke. Maybe it was super hard but he had to make it look easy so Luke would be humbled and still in awe of Yoda.

I like this explanation.

Do you think in ancient Greek times people sat around while Aristotle or Socrates told a story and were like 'well if Zeus could do that why didn;t he do that" or "Well if Poeseiden could do this why didn't he do that"

They probably did.

Do you think in ancient Greek times people sat around while Aristotle or Socrates told a story and were like 'well if Zeus could do that why didn;t he do that" or "Well if Poeseiden could do this why didn't he do that"

They probably did.

People in ancient times didn’t question the competence or motives of the gods, they just didn’t want to piss them off.

Love the new avatar. If that’s you, you look exactly how I pictured you.

They probably did.

They most definitely did not. Aristotle and Socrates were philosophers. Homer would have gotten these protestations.

I have a degree in Classical Languages, I know these things.

From what I’ve read about Greek culture they definitely believed in gods, but primarily out of fear. It’s not like today, where people view religion as a source of hope, it was more of them believing that something bad was just around the corner so just to be safe you better not piss off the “gods”. If you were about to go on a sea voyage, for instance, you paid homage to Poseidon just to be on the safe side. It was more of a superstition to them,.

I certainly don’t think they wasted any time worrying about what superpowers they had and whether there were any inconsistencies. To them they were just happy to be alive.

And as for the stories they told, as silly as they sound today, they actually believed that stuff. I’ll let someone more educated than me confirm this (I just read history for fun), but I don’t think the concept of fiction was even a thing for the Greeks. All of it, to them, was primarily based on something that actually happened.

From what I’ve read about Greek culture they definitely believed in gods, but primarily out of fear. It’s not like today, where people view religion as a source of hope, it was more of them believing that something bad was just around the corner so just to be safe you better not piss off the “gods”. If you were about to go on a sea voyage, for instance, you paid homage to Poseidon just to be on the safe side. It was more of a superstition to them,.

I certainly don’t think they wasted any time worrying about what superpowers they had and whether there were any inconsistencies. To them they were just happy to be alive.

And as for the stories they told, as silly as they sound today, they actually believed that stuff. I’ll let someone more educated than me confirm this (I just read history for fun), but I don’t think the concept of fiction was even a thing for the Greeks. All of it, to them, was primarily based on something that actually happened.

I'm sure many did, but I'm also sure many didn't as well.

Also, didn't the Greeks like kinda invent Western drama and fiction? I guess that's a question for Iceheart.

JJ Abrams joined Twitter yesterday and his first tweet thanked Rian for his work on TLJ.

Simple question, how do you think JJ really feels about TLJ? I know I'm asking for mind reading, but just your gut feeling.

I want to think JJ is pissed that Rian wiped his ass with all the mysteries JJ set up but he's probably such a chill dude that he doesn't give a shot.

JJ Abrams joined Twitter yesterday and his first tweet thanked Rian for his work on TLJ.

Simple question, how do you think JJ really feels about TLJ? I know I'm asking for mind reading, but just your gut feeling.

I want to think JJ is pissed that Rian wiped his ass with all the mysteries JJ set up but he's probably such a chill dude that he doesn't give a shot.

I have no idea his opinion of the movie but I don't think Johnson's handling of "mysteries" has anything to do with it. JJ never intended stuff like that to be answered. Those things were done in the name of expediency and having a fast paced, fun movie. The saber was at Maz's because they wanted Rey to end up with it, so they just put it there. They never had any intention of explaining how it arrived there. Same goes for other "mysteries".

These explanations, unless they are meant to be a major, important part of the story, are just filler. For instance there are 2 things that basically just show up completely out of nowhere in TFA. The Falcon and the saber. We got an "explanation" on the Falcon. So and so stole it from so and so who stole it from so and so. It's just lip service, it means nothing. The names are just made up names. It coulda been "flippity floppidy stole it from hocus pocus who stole it from dorkus malorcus." The explanation means nothing. Just like if Maz had said "an ugnaught found the saber and sold it to Hopalong who lost it in a card game to Babalou who gave it to be to pay off an old debt." Ok, its an explanation but it means nothing, its just random names. It doesn't matter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.