Episode 9 News

Dark Wader

What do we think about the comments from Matt Smith about his participation in the film? Quote from LA Times interview:

He’s not in the next “Star Wars” film, despite reports to the contrary (“As far as I can tell, I’m definitely not,” he says) — although he is practiced in keeping secrets.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-matt-smith-mapplethorpe-charlie-says-20190307-story.html

The wording is vague "As far as I can tell...", so either it was a smallish role that is cut (not sure about this as originally there was reference to it being a pivotal role), or could it be that he is referring to a visual appearance, so maybe some effects on him either as an alien type character or maybe a situation like Rogue One with Tarkin's appearance. Just feel the quote is evasive - you know if you have participated in shooting for the film or not hey.

Hopeful for some title news and trailer soon - April seems to be the thought at Celebration hey. Really hoping we can end on a good note.

maingstawrs.com has updates all the time, and their track record is decent.

If I remember correctly their track record for TFA was better than for TLJ and they also seemed to have alot more info on TFA. Perhaps the have sources more embedded with JJ?

TFA had a huge blue sky period. Freelance concepts artists were commissioned to just make art with just a few prompts while the first draft was being written.

Between that first draft and a lot of that art leaking, there was a ton of supposition and theories, a lot of which made it through to the final film.

TLJ was a much tighter ship as the preproduction phase, where a lot of conceptual leaks come from, was overlapping with TFA and R1 production. They had a lot done before people even knew to be looking.

I also think as you go along you get more and more bullshit scoops from people trying to mess with things. I remember a fair amount of TPM leaked, and a lot of it was accurate. AOTC spoilers were insane and all over the place. I even passed off fake script pages to Harry Knowles, and he bought it hook line and sinker, but I caved when he asked for proof of who I was.

By then Lucasfilm tried to monetize and control spoilers with the Hyperspace subscription and ROTS was uber-locked down.

I'm so not into episode 9 at this point. I think it might change when we get a trailer. They're targeting Celebration right?

I thought I was just not into Star Wars anymore. I was cleaning up my DVR last month and decided to watch the last season of Rebels. The fire still burns. Just not for episode 9 right now.

I've discovered I still rewatch most all the SW films, but I tend to skip large chunks... save for ANH and ESB.

TPM-- I skip everything between the pod race and the finale battle.

AOTC-- I stop watching after Zam Wessel dies.

ROTS-- just watch the opening battle, then skip to Mace vs Palpatine through the end.

ROTJ-- skip the Ewok stuff, obv.

R1-- skip the Saul Guerra stuff.

Solo-- honestly, I just watch up until the train heist, then just the action scenes

TFA-- skip from when Leia shows up to the finale.

TLJ-- watch up to when Finn and Rose leave, then I just watch scenes Rey is in until the get to Krait, then I finish.

Of anything post OT, R1 gets the most rewatches, and is easily my favorite of the Disney era.

I'm kind of the opposite, I'm keen to see what RJ can deliver without the expectation of what has been set up before him. I think he was boxed into a corner with TLJ because of JJ and co's choices with TFA. For example, I don't see how someone could do a better interpretation of Luke post the prequels and Force Awakens. I won't go into it again as I've already posted my feelings on that and don't want to get into another discussion around it since it's been done to death. . .

But my concern over Episode IX is really that JJ is in control of it. He is known for the mystery box method of storytelling and we've never seen him really finish a story. I'll be more than happy if he proves me wrong and can finish the saga off but based on anything else he has delivered, I don't really have much faith in a satisfying ending. But if RJ is given a given a clean slate without any element of expectation, I'd be keen to see what he can actually deliver because I do think he "gets" Star Wars.

Long story short though, I think it's back to the old point that Disney/Lucasfilm don't have a vision of where they wanted to go with all this. I don't blame Kathleen Kennedy for this either, I think she has done the best she can after inheriting the saga post the Disney sale. When she took over she thought Lucas was developing it all and probably thought she could spin it into something great opposed to what Rick McCallum did with the prequels. Instead she was expected to deliver Kevin Feige greatness with Star Wars which is almost impossible.

Sorry for the incoherent rant.- beer.

Im not getting into an argument about Marvel vs Star Wars, because that is silly. The thing is expectations are just different. If Disney made Star Wars movies of the quality of Thor 1 and 2, Iron Man 2 and 3, Guardians 2 it would be the end of the world. With Marvel people just go "oh I didn't like that one, when is the next one out?" People seem incapable of doing that with Star Wars.

Like I said, not really getting into a Marvel vs Star Wars kinda thing. I wouldnt call myself a Marvel fan at all so I'm biased anyway. I just think the fan bases, of which there is much overlap, have completely different expectations of the movies and different reactions when they get something they don't like.

That's not to say what Feige has done at Marvel isn't flat out remarkable, it is.

I suspect that Episode IX will be a passable, but ultimately unremarkable, movie. JJ is really good at making movies that are really good on a first watch, but even Super 8 just doesn't interest me in watching it again.

Like I said, not really getting into a Marvel vs Star Wars kinda thing. I wouldnt call myself a Marvel fan at all so I'm biased anyway. I just think the fan bases, of which there is much overlap, have completely different expectations of the movies and different reactions when they get something they don't like.

If what you're saying is reference to what I was saying, I'm not trying to turn this into a Marvel vs Star Wars scenario. Just trying to establish Producer wise. No one can deny the job Feige has done with Mavel since Iron Man but totally different circumstances than what KK had with Star Wars. But, and I think you agree, the scenarios are completely different in terms of what they had to work with. But there \still seems to be this perception of if Marvel can get it right, why can't Lucasfilm. And I think LF are under more pressure than Marvel/Feige to get it "right". (though considering where Marvel is at now, probably not) so much now)

For me that perception is just wrong as I greatly prefer all things Star Wars to nearly anything Marvel, but then again I'm not a Marvel fan really. I am a huge Star Wars fan and I think Disney is 4 for 4 thus far in terms of giving me movies I enjoy.

As for pressure, its all money to Disney and I'm sure they want each to be equally successful. There is far more pressure from fans on Star Wars though in that for the most part if Marvel puts out a movie that someone doesn;t like they basically just move on to the next one. When Star Wars does it they get angry for some reason.

Personally the overall reaction to Marvel movies is somewhat concerning to me as a Star Wars fan. Even big Marvel fans will admit the movies are somewhat formulaic, at least the first movies in each characters series where they normally fight a bad guy who has the same/similar powers to the hero. Couple that with the popularity of TFA, with its overall similarities to the original Star Wars and I just fear the lesson being learned by Disney is just to play it as safe as possible with these big movies. Which I guess makes sense considering that pretty much every blockbuster movie is a sequel, remake, reboot, based on something from other media. People want to know what they are getting when they plop down their cash at a theater. Taking it even a step further and making the movies even within those franchises more and more similar I suppose makes sense from a money making perspective. As a fan that's certainly not what I want, but it seems to be what is happening.

I suspect that Episode IX will be a passable, but ultimately unremarkable, movie. JJ is really good at making movies that are really good on a first watch, but even Super 8 just doesn't interest me in watching it again.

JJ is a master at tone and ambience. When I heard he was doing TFA I was amped because Super 8 was the first movie to nail the classic Amblin feel when even Spielberg couldn't do that. TFA will always get a pass from me because after the PT, he managed to make a Star Wars movie that felt like a Star Wars movie.

But yeah, he's all set up and hook. He can't stick the landing.

And he REALLY doesn't get how big space is or how it works and it makes me insane.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.