Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Episode 9 News

553 replies to this topic

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,506 posts

Yeah, totally get that.

I don't consider Snoke's origin to be a mystery. We never knew the Emperor's origin in the OT, and only had a very basic knowledge of Vader's. He used to be Anakin and then turned evil. Not sure why people expected more from Snoke or the Knights of Ren. I guess maybe the question of where the Knights of Ren are now, but I wonder if it's similar to Vader being a Dark Lord of the Sith. He wasn't really a Lord over anyone.

The difference is, we were given the basic idea that there was once many Force users pre-Empire. That's clear as of the first act of ANH.

There's a background that says The Emperor could have come up in that world.

With Snoke, we're being sold on the idea that he's as powerful as The Emperor, but ROTJ made it clear that just 30 years previous Luke was pretty much it. I've said it elsewhere, but it could be answered with a throwaway lime from Kylo about how Snoke found him.
  • El Chalupacabra and Odine +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

Monster of Mass Destruction

• Supporters
  • 8,720 posts

Agreed on Snoke.  I didn't need an origin movie or anything, but a couple brief lines explaining where he came from and how he came to power post-ROTJ would have been nice. Snoke coming out of absolutely no where with no explanation whatsoever was lazy.   It's not even  mysterious.  Just WTF.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,237 posts

I think that's a legitimate gripe with Snoke's arc.

It wasn't important to know where Palpatine came from because we joined the action in media res. But with Snoke, he's joining a story we've got 60 years of 'historical' knowledge of. It's a pretty big gap that this massively powerful and manipulative individual who ends up leading the remnant of the Empire isn't accounted for during that time.

Even if it was something as exceedingly simple as in the crawl or an off-hand remark by Leia or whoever about Snoke being in the Unknown Regions or whatever. 

It doesn't make me want to #RemakeTheLastJedi, but I do find it annoying.

• El Chalupacabra +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,720 posts

I think that's a legitimate gripe with Snoke's arc.

It wasn't important to know where Palpatine came from because we joined the action in media res. But with Snoke, he's joining a story we've got 60 years of 'historical' knowledge of. It's a pretty big gap that this massively powerful and manipulative individual who ends up leading the remnant of the Empire isn't accounted for during that time.

Even if it was something as exceedingly simple as in the crawl or an off-hand remark by Leia or whoever about Snoke being in the Unknown Regions or whatever. 

It doesn't make me want to #RemakeTheLastJedi, but I do find it annoying.

Almost totally agree, except I'm obviously not a fan of TLJ.    But a couple throw away lines or sentence or two in the opening crawl is all I would have needed to be satisfied.  Hell, I don't even mind Snoke was offed in TLJ.  Just would have been nice to get some background before closing out his arc.  Goes right back to the unanswered mystery box thing.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,951 posts
From an in-universe standpoint, everyone knows who Snoke is. So throwing in a line about where he's from makes about as much sense as Russian intelligence officers talking about Trump and then saying "You know he's from the United States?"

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
Snoke is the Bernie Sanders of Star Wars. Some crusty old dude who came out of nowhere to become a big deal and then went away just as fast and will not be missed.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,506 posts

From an in-universe standpoint, everyone knows who Snoke is. So throwing in a line about where he's from makes about as much sense as Russian intelligence officers talking about Trump and then saying "You know he's from the United States?"

Rey wouldn't know. She thought a war hero from 30 years ago was a myth.

RamonAtila

RamonAtila

• Members
  • 885 posts
I honestly thought Smoke would end up being so important in this trilogy. I had a theory he was Anakins father. I thought he was going to be so bad ass. But instead he died so fast without any of it meaning anything.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
I just think it comes down to the fact that they couldn’t provide a satisfying reason for his presence. Better to just kill him off than try to make him Darth Plagious or something even worse. He was there just because. A random Sith Lord just for the hell of it.
  • Ryn +1 this

Filthy Jawa

Filthy Jawa

Bring back Mandard!

• 8,665 posts
Here's my pitch for Ep. IX:
Buncha stuff happens, and just when things look darkest for our heroes (at the 1:57 mark) in flies Lando with old Wicket and a huge Ewok armada! Lando explains in blatant exposition how the Ewoks evolved quickly as a tech society after the Battle of Endor and now half of them are cyborgs.
Ewoks and Lando (who is married to an Ewok) save the day, roll credits.
  • Good God a Bear, Kyrian and El Chalupacabra +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,720 posts

^^I was going to go with the obvious answer that TLJ was some fever induced bacta-dream Finn had, and the whole movie never happened, but I am down for a cyborg-ewok humping geriatric Pansexual Lando (PANDO?) saving the day with an army of Ewok-Grievous hybrids.   

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,951 posts
He also in the last 5 minutes raps the entire history of what happened between ROTJ and TFA. Tells us that Rey is really Luke's daughter, and there are over a hundred Skywalker kids spread throughout the Galaxy, and Snoke was just a normal guy until he walked in on Luke banging his wife, and the hatred flowed through him and filled him with the Dark Side.
  • Filthy Jawa +1 this

Jacen123

Jacen123

Woggle-Bug

• 36,792 posts

Let it be known that the only Dark Side that Luke ever embraced was that of Snoke's wife.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,951 posts
Young Lando is also going through enter the scene through a mysterious portal and join in the rap.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,951 posts

Rey wouldn't know. She thought a war hero from 30 years ago was a myth.

She thought a superhero from 30 years ago was a myth. Plus she hasn't really interacted with anyone very much, other than Finn and Luke, and has spent the past week of her life just trying to survive while learning that she's a superhero. No reason to be concerned with Snoke, and then he's dead and who cares?

I think that JJ's vision was for Snoke to be the new Emperor, and probably to have some sort of backstory, but Rian didn't like that idea and did something different. Which seems to be the resounding theme, that he didn't like what JJ set up and wanted to go in a different direction.

Now JJ has two choices: try to go back to his original version and make TLJ almost entirely insignificant, or pick up the pieces and go on with something new. Doing a series this way, without an overall vision, is like doing improv. You can't just say "no" you have to take what the other person did and build on it.

Filthy Jawa

Filthy Jawa

Bring back Mandard!

• 8,665 posts
Yeah but this was like doing improv with Michael Scott.
  • Jacen123 +1 this

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 18,951 posts
Whether you like it or not is irrelevant. It is what it is, and anyone expecting anything to change is fooling themselves and will be disappointed come Episode 9: The Coming Back of the Lando

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,720 posts

I think that JJ's vision was for Snoke to be the new Emperor, and probably to have some sort of backstory, but Rian didn't like that idea and did something different. Which seems to be the resounding theme, that he didn't like what JJ set up and wanted to go in a different direction.

Now JJ has two choices: try to go back to his original version and make TLJ almost entirely insignificant, or pick up the pieces and go on with something new. Doing a series this way, without an overall vision, is like doing improv. You can't just say "no" you have to take what the other person did and build on it.

Exactly my problem with the ST:  No coherent story was ever fleshed out prior to the three movies, and they made the stupid decision to hand off each movie to a different writer/director.  Also, when one writer refuses to follow the groundwork of the previous writer, it really messes with the overall direction of the trilogy.  There may be people who like TLJ still, but one has to admit that by not following the established groundwork, Rian Johnson made a movie that is VERY polarizing, divided the fan base, and I think it is fair to say that not even the PT was as controversial. So, now we have JJ coming back to either a) retcon a few things to put the ST back on track, or b) he will just follow what RJ did before, and let the ST play out that way.  Either way, I really don't care what happens, and at this time, not even Lando coming back is enough to make me care. 

Say what you will about Lucas and the PT, but AT LEAST he had an overall direction and an idea where he wanted to go with the PT.  Poorly executed in some parts, sure, but there's also parts of the PT that are pretty awesome and world building. 

Lucas's fault was basically trying to do too much and micromanage things that weren't hs strong suit.  In my view, I think what Rian Johnson did was way worse.  He both simply just copied what came before with certain scenes (not getting into that, because that has been discussed at length),  while at the same time made writing decisions that took things in unexpected (and in my opinion, unnecessary) directions, mostly for the sake of just being controversial and different.  And possibly for the sake of being unpopular.

• Iceheart, Darth Wicket and Odine +1 this

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
I just think the bottom line is that there is no more story to tell. Star Wars ended in 1983 and there are varying degrees of withdrawal.

It’s simply gone. Thrawn, Rey, Jason Solo, Jar Jar, it’s all ****.

I love all of you guys, but it’s pure ****.

Kyrian

Kyrian

I'm back

• 11,370 posts

He also in the last 5 minutes raps the entire history of what happened between ROTJ and TFA. Tells us that Rey is really Luke's daughter, and there are over a hundred Skywalker kids spread throughout the Galaxy, and Snoke was just a normal guy until he walked in on Luke banging his wife, and the hatred flowed through him and filled him with the Dark Side.

Will he do a topless dance and call the rap This Is The Galaxy?

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,720 posts

I just think the bottom line is that there is no more story to tell. Star Wars ended in 1983 and there are varying degrees of withdrawal.

It’s simply gone. Thrawn, Rey, Jason Solo, Jar Jar, it’s all ****.

I love all of you guys, but it’s pure ****.

Definitely don't agree with you that there is no more story to tell.  There are a dozen games that I can think of that are not just great star wars stories, but among the greatest games ever made.  

PT was definitely lesser than the OT, but I think the good far outweighs the bad.  TCW had some great arcs, and even Rebels did too.   Rogue One was definitely a good movie to me, as was TFA, even if I find it not as good as when I first saw it, it is still decent enough.  Even Solo was decent, though I take issue with some of the questionable writing decisions in that movie and the poor choice they had for Han Solo (maybe a 6.5 or 7/10 movie?).  Don't get me wrong, no one asked for Solo, and I thought it was just OK, but it was an OK time killer of a movie.

Sure there is a lot of crap in the EU, but there are some gems too, like I, Jedi.  

No, I think the problem is squarely on TLJ, which is a sh*t movie.  It ruined TFA to an extent for me, and made me not care about Episode 9.  

Hopefully, there will be an Obi Wan film, and I think that could be a great movie.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,506 posts
I get your POV, but no matter what AOTC will always be the absolute worst. If THAT didn't kill Star Wars, nothing else will.

Kyrian

Kyrian

I'm back

• 11,370 posts

Now that's what I call aggressive negotiations

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,720 posts

I get your POV, but no matter what AOTC will always be the absolute worst. If THAT didn't kill Star Wars, nothing else will.

Respectfully disagree.  I'd rather rewatch AOTC than TLJ.

Lucas1138

Lucas1138

Spam Lord

• Moderators
  • 18,237 posts

I'd rather shove bamboo shoots up into my nailbeds than watch AotC.

• Tank and Robin +1 this

Reply to this topic