Episode 9 News

Dark Wader

I'll agree that overall this trailer didn't hit me as hard as some of the other ones.

The Phantom Menace trailer 1: "Every generation has a legend" That was just insane.

The Force Awakens trailer 3: "The Force, it's calling to you, just let it in" That was just so perfect and was not just talking to Rey but talking to us.

The Last Jedi trailer 2: Was just perfection, intense and beautiful.

This one isn't as good as any of them, but the quality of the trailer doesn't have all that much to do with the quality of the trailer.

• 3 weeks later...

"Rian helped remind me that that's why we are on these movies--not just to do something you've seen before."

"I won't say I felt constrained or limited on VII but I found myself wanting to do something that felt more consistent with the OT than not and on I I found myself feeling I'm just gonna go for it a bit more."

But I thought Abrams was unhappy with Rian Johnson and was going to "course correct" TLJ with Episode IX!

I really hope JJ followed through on what he is saying here. TFA was perfect for what it was so Im not complaining about that. Just saying I would have hated to see JJ play it so safe again or to spend time backtracking on anything from TLJ.

• 1 month later...

New trailer! Kylo heavy! Palpatine talks a lot! Vader too!

https://youtu.be/OSvUTovE4gM

soooo, basically Snoke was Palpatine????

Or at least under his control/influence. I said it, maybe in this thread, I just don't like the idea that

1-In TFA JJ created essentially a fake Emperor cause he felt he needed someone to tempt Kylo

2-In TLJ Johnson kills that crappy fake Emperor and gives us potentially something different with Kylo being bad guy on his own

3-In ROS JJ still needs that bad guy over Kylo so brings back the Emperor putting Kylo right back under someone elses thumb

Having said that the Emperor is much cooler than Snoke so that;s a positive. Also for the people needed an explanation on Snoke this will give them one.

I think you nailed, Choc. Like you, I don't know if I love it.

If Palpatine was controlling Snoke, was he all Snoke all the time? Did he just connect Snoke and Kylo, or was he literally just in Snoke's body?

If so, let's think about that. He was wherever he was-- projecting into Snoke, and still had the power to Force-abuse Hux via hologram from who knows how far away?

Pretending to be Vader in Kylo's head makes sense-- but why pretend to be some other darkside using despot running a racist regime? Especially when being yourself would terrify people more?

This sort of sloppy retcon fix is what JJ does, and it's my fear that TROS will be full of this stuff. He loves to ask questions and set things up with no payoff, TFA is full of it-- Rian Johnson Has to pay it off, and goes the not obvious route, leaving Abrams to course correct AND resolve.

All that said, interviews with the TROS screenwriter indicate that they did NOT want to devalue Luke's triumph at the end of ROTJ... which, when TFA was first announced was my number one fear.

Afterthought-- could be overthinking it...

It could be more recent. As in, after Snoke died, Kylo heard his voice, which certainly has precedence. The voices Kylo hears-- Vader and Snoke, could be a thing that happens in the early parts of the film.

I'd be curious to know if any of us have ever accurately predicted major plot points before. Not saying we shouldn't try, that's why we come here, but let's not act like we have this so figured out.

I still say this is a resurrection story. Knights of Ren are trying to resurrect Vader and Palpatine - they succeed with Palp, but the surprise that leads to their defeat is they get Hayden instead of James Earl.

I'd be curious to know if any of us have ever accurately predicted major plot points before. Not saying we shouldn't try, that's why we come here, but let's not act like we have this so figured out.

I still say this is a resurrection story. Knights of Ren are trying to resurrect Vader and Palpatine - they succeed with Palp, but the surprise that leads to their defeat is they get Hayden instead of James Earl.

I did predict or at least think the right thing to do was to have Kylo kill Snoke and take his place. I felt it right after seeing TFA and actually predicted it here a few times including a day or two before TLJ released I described the scene almost exactly as it happened. The only difference is I had Kylo strike him down rather than use the Force to move the saber.

This is probably why I dislike Palpy coming back. I really felt strongly Kylo should become the leader of The First Order and when it happened I was thrilled. So now if that clip we saw is to be believed its possible that Snoke was either directly being controlled or at least heavily influenced by Palpy. It kinda takes away from that moment, not completely by any means, but it somewhat.

I also disagree with JJ's take that Palpy has to be in here for it to close out the saga. I don't think the story of Star Wars is "defeating the Emperor". It's deeper than that and I think there are probably dozens of ways they could have made this feel like a fitting conclusion without involving him. Including him is probably the most obvious and easy way and maybe in the end thats the right choice?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.