Episode 9 News

Dark Wader

• 3 months later...

Yep, found out about that from a random twitter person today

Really struggling to care though, and I won't want to see if it I'm not receptive

(and that's not meant to be a badly disguised TLJ bash, I saw it three times and really enjoyed parts of it, but I think they messed up the only thing I was really impressed with in TFA and didn't leave me with a hook)

I keep hoping that something will excite me about the movie, but it struck me as really flashy and hollow. In other words, it’s a JJ Abrams movie.

Looks good to me. I was a bit skeptical after the first trailer but the other footage we got a few months ago and now this trailer have made me feel alot better. Certainly looks grand in scale and scope which is good and what you'd expect from the final movie in a 42 year saga.

I keep hoping that something will excite me about the movie, but it struck me as really flashy and hollow. In other words, its a JJ Abrams movie.

This. Trailer. Was. So. Over. Blown.

I thought they got it, you don't need to do THAT to make it seem like an event. It's Star Wars. You go understated and it sends chills up our spines. You do that and it seems like you don't know what you're doing.

Overall I liked it.

Other than the brief appearance by Rose and the lack of Snoke, it feels like the events of TLJ never took place. In fact, to me it feels like a stand alone SW movie like Rogue One.

Don't ask me to explain these thoughts.

I see what you are saying in some ways. I said earlier, maybe in this thread, that this movie almost feels like an Episode X. Like we needed a IX to finish off some of the storylines of the ST and then X as the capper to the trilogy of trilogies.

However I think you are very wrong that this trailer made it feel like TLJ never took place. One of the main ideas of TLJ is that the Resistance needs to spark a new wider spread rebellion. This is said in a speech by Holdo and then also later in the movie by Poe. Plus the whole idea of Lukes sacrifice not just saying the lives of the dozen or so Resistance members alive in the cave but also inspiring the Galaxy to action, as shown by the kids at the end of the movie.

Very early in this trailer we hear Poe say something like "good people will fight with us if we lead them." Certainly picking up on that thread that the main characters need to lead/inspire/spark others. Then when you consider that this is very much the lesson Poe learns throughout the movie that he has to lead rather than just blow stuff up and I think it's pretty clear that storyline is carrying over and is important to this movie.

In terms of content the trailer didn't give much imo. I'm not going to break down each scene and guess the plot. To me I was thinking here similar the trailer was in terms of music to TFA. I watched the final trailer for TLJ to committed what I was thinking, and JJ definitely has these trailers scored differently than Johnson did.

It's the music that hits when THIS DECEMBER comes on screen that grabbed me. That and 3PO apparently saying his goodbyes. That last 3rd of the trailer sucked me in for TFA as well. The music for TLJ trailer didn't do that.

For some reason the score didn't hit me at all in this trailer. I think cause they "epic-ed" it up too much, it took me a while to even clock that it was the SW theme. No feels. Not like the other trailers.

For me it was a combination of too epic and too small at the same time. I agree with Choc that it should’ve been a cap to the trilogy and then a separate cap to the saga. It feels like they’re cramming too much in and making it a “very special episode”.

I’m not super excited for it, but I also will say that it’s going to be a really fun film that will hit a lot of great nostalgia notes, because that’s what JJ does. But there’s also going to be something slightly dissatisfying about it. I hope I’m wrong about the last part, but that’s what JJ does. I’d say his most rewatchable film is his Mission Impossible III.

I’m still pretty sure I won’t see it in theaters, but that’s more on me than the movie. I’ve got three kids six and under, so taking time to myself to go out of the house and see a movie isn’t a high priority. Going on a date to see it is also unlikely because my wife has no interest in it. Not that she’s against it, just that she doesn’t care either way.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.