Episode 9 News

Dark Wader

It looks great. Rey's flip and Leia's hug got me verklempt.

I like the cast being together, I like the Frankensaber.

But here's what worries me-- JJ is rolling back to a lot of his ideas instead of going forward with what TLJ did. For some people, that's probably a great thing, given the fanbaby outrage, putting these moments in the trailer may even be a very intentional move.

But TLJ had Kylo evolve past hiding behind the helmet, the legacy saber was destroyed, Rey was NOT a Skywalker, Snoke was killed...

and now, helmet and lightsaber fixed, Rey's lineage is clearly being hinted at as Skywalkery, and with Snoke gone, Palpy comes back.

Once again, this round-robin stuff is risky. We may love this movie but if we spend a ton of the movie addressing fanbaby claims from TLJ that's a waste of time.

A minor quibble - Did Kylo really evolve beyond the mask? I don't think he did. Snoke basically made fun of him and Kylo destroyed it in a rage. The mask is Kylo because it gives him something to hide behind, and he needs something to hide behind.

(caveat: This is based on a 2 viewings of TLJ 16 months ago so I could be wrong in my interpretation/memory)

They cut that teaser right before the best part.

Luke: no one ever REALLY dies...

Palpatine:

giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5cb1d86535646d744d

Luke: for instance we all get to spend eternity in the Force with this ****er, who cheats at EVERY GAME you put in front of him. Hearts, Canasta, Mah Jongg, Pretty Pretty Princess...

Palpatine: let the hate flo...

Luke: you know what, just fuck right off.

If its actually canon now that Palpy is responsible for Anakins birth then maybe it will turn out that he somehow manipulated the force from beyond the grave to create Rey too, and hes intending to play on her insecurities for his own purposes.

I'm not sure if I would like it if Rey reconstructed the Luke Skywalker lightsaber. It was split into pieces, and was there any indication that she went to pick up the pieces as that ship was going down? I think it works better if she built a replica, but I guess that would depend on how much time there is between TLJ and TROS.

I would rather see she busted out Luke's green lightsaber from ROTJ. :D However, I don't know if Luke retrieved it after he threw it aside on Death Star II.

I haven't seen TLJ since it was in theaters (saw it three times), but I remember Rey holding the pieces of the lightsaber in the Falcon at the end.

I always thought she would rebuild it (that shouldn't surprise anyone), but the inconsistency between TFA and TLJ is in how Kylo feels about it, which decides its (symbolic) status an an Excalibur-esque thing or not.

He covets it in TFA, but doesn't so much in TLJ, even though he fights over it with Rey. He doesn't react to Luke having it all. If he's obsessed with owning it in again TRoS, then that's a rollback

(you could also see a big piece of the second death star when it exploded)

(oh, and the fanbabies for me are those people that won't stop crying until they get the version of SW that they want, even if it's never going to happen. I'll admit to being biased because I always wanted Rey to be a nobody and I'll be disappointed if that changes, but I wouldn't have spent the last two years whining about it and / or refusing to accept it if someone said that she was a Skywalker or whoever in TLJ)

Rey is a Skywalker? We don't know that yet. But even if she is, so what? She never had a last name. There was no definite NO to that question, ... This question was NOT settled once and for all in TLJ in the minds of many people, because if it had been, people wouldn't have been debating her parentage and whether Kylo was telling the truth for the last 2 years.

I won't go as far as Choc and say that Rey being a nobody was telegraphed all along - I think JJ left it open-ended on purpose. But I do agree with Choc's oft-stated point: move past it - TLJ settled it. Sure TROS can retcon it, but that would be a pretty big retcon. Not to mention hugely distracting as it would make us all aware of some disagreement on this point between JJ as RJ. If that happens, I'll be so pulled out of it someone might as well physically pick me up out of my seat and toss me out of the theatre.

Rey's lineage is clearly being hinted at as Skywalkery, and with Snoke gone, Palpy comes back.

I don't know if her lineage is being hinted at at all.

And is Palpatine back? I'm hoping only as a force ghost - or we're spending the first part of the movie on Dathomir learning how the Nightsisters brought themselves back as zombies. That would be uhh something.

I don't think she actually is a Skywalker but I think she'll adopt the name by the movie's end. There has been that theory since TFA that maybe she was another Anakin, born from the force to bring balance which if they did here wouldn't be a retcon, if anything might explain why her nobody parents abandoned her - they never wanted her in the first place. So if that's the case I could see her taking on the Skywalker name.

But at this point it doesn't make any sense if she was born from Luke or Leia. There isn't anything in the past two films to indicate it - Leia & Han certainly didn't recognise her in TFA and Luke didn't express it anyway. I personally did want her to be Skywalker prior to TLJ but if they were to say it now it'd be too jarring.

Really enjoyed the trailer yesterday. Glad the whole group are going to adventure together again - there was a lot of chemistry between them all in TFA, so it will be good to see that back.

The Death Star dish is a funny one - never crossed my mind to see any reference to that. Entering that structure could be fun. Will it be for any surviving kyber crystals that power lightsabers?

New scenes for Palpatine, but I could see these more being flash backs I think. Could be a ghost influence, but just dont see how that gets resolved.

Great to see Lando in the cockpit again!

I would rather see she busted out Luke's green lightsaber from ROTJ. :D However, I don't know if Luke retrieved it after he threw it aside on Death Star II.

Yep, he was wearing it at the yub nub party at the end of the film and also igniting it in TLJ. Would like to see this saber again - my favourite!

But here's what worries me-- JJ is rolling back to a lot of his ideas instead of going forward with what TLJ did. For some people, that's probably a great thing, given the fanbaby outrage, putting these moments in the trailer may even be a very intentional move.

But TLJ had Kylo evolve past hiding behind the helmet, the legacy saber was destroyed, Rey was NOT a Skywalker, Snoke was killed...

and now, helmet and lightsaber fixed, Rey's lineage is clearly being hinted at as Skywalkery, and with Snoke gone, Palpy comes back.

Once again, this round-robin stuff is risky. We may love this movie but if we spend a ton of the movie addressing fanbaby claims from TLJ that's a waste of time.

The helmet was cool and I am glad its back. And there is enough scenes in that trailer with his mask off for those who liked TLJ. For those who don't like the mask, pretend its a battle helmet and you're fine.

Luke's saber is back? Do we know it's the exact same saber, yet? Even if it is, broken things can be rebuilt. No big deal. Tank, you of all people know Obi Wan's saber prop was reused as Luke's in ROTJ. Maybe Rey built a new one that looks like Luke's as tribute to Luke, the same way Luke did with Obi Wan?

Rey is a Skywalker? We don't know that yet. But even if she is, so what? She never had a last name. There was no definite NO to that question, anyway. Maybe in RJ's mind she wasn't supposed to be, but you know what? How do you know it wasn't what JJ wanted? He created the character. I say it's JJ's call, not RJs. Besides, the force didn't flat out say no. It said it didn't matter, and Kylo is an unreliable source. Are you going to believe a mass murderer who killed his own father? I wouldn't. This question was NOT settled once and for all in TLJ in the minds of many people, because if it had been, people wouldn't have been debating her parentage and whether Kylo was telling the truth for the last 2 years. If Rey is a Skywalker after all, what happened in TLJ could just as easily be explained as the force, and Luke, Leia, and Han didn't confirm or deny it because they felt she was not ready to know, yet. Retconny? Maybe. But I say sometimes retcons are good. It's been established that her parentage doesn't matter already, so if Rey isn't a Skywalker by blood, I am OK with that too. She's an honorary Skywalker in spirit, no matter who her parents are, as far as I am concerned.

Snoke is dead but we never knew anything about him anyway. Wasn't that the biggest complaint a lot of people had? He came from nothing and we had no back story before killing him off. Defenders of that said Snoke and his origins didn't matter. Well, if Snoke doesn't matter, why b*tch now? We don't know yet if he is in this movie, but if not, why is that a bad thing? Don't get me wrong, I wanted to know more about Snoke. We don't really know if he was the puppet master, or someone was pulling his strings all along. And I personally think we will learn more about Snoke in Ep 9, whether or not Snoke is actually in the movie or not. If Palpy's laugh indicates he is in this movie, and not some misdirection, then I say it's a good thing. Ian Mcdiarmid is awesome.

Lando is back. That is a very good thing. I've waited 2 movies for this. We knew it was coming, but I loved seeing him in the Falcon with Chewie. I liked that he was wearing a similar outfit to the one in Solo. You can call that fanbaby service if you want, but to me, it's awesome.

What you call fanbaby service, is what I call "this is what TLJ should have been in the first place." And why does one have to be a fanbaby to want all this? I know you aren't referring to anyone here when you say fanbaby so I don't feel like you are calling me or anyone else here that, but sometimes I don't understand where you are coming from, and I have been posting here for years, now.

Simply put, this trailer made me feel good about Star Wars again.

You are taking me WAY too literally.

My point is, JJ set up things because he was making a love letter to the OT, Johnson wanted to move beyond it, and thematically, and literally with key elements, pushed that idea.

JJ is rolling these things back. The examples I cited are just that-- examples of him putting things back the way he wanted to them to be.

As for the lightsaber specifically... it's the same one. There isn't a world in which the story slows down long enough for Rey to say "I built this lightsaber to look exactly like the last one, save for these new parts that just so happen to cover right where it broke." That makes no sense. We've already examined and dissected it in the prop community. Ben's stunt saber's being recycled for Luke was a last minute fix because they were planning to use the ESB one and realized too late the continuity error that created.

That isn't happening this time around-- not when you have everyone involved in production being as big of a nerd as all of us. It is meant to be the fixed version of the saber that was ripped in half in TLJ.

As for Rey being a Skywalker-- I don't know that they are going to say/confirm/go in that direction. But if you think that calling the movie Rise of Skywalker when literally every Skywalker is gone, showing the ship that Rey's parents left on in TFA, and hanging the camera on Rey while Luke tells us she's inherited the legacy of the Jedi is not meant to bring at least bring back the question of her parentage, I don't know what to say.

I don't actually think Rey will be a Skywalker-- I think that JJ is going to keep on with his "fix it" theme and the McGuffin will turn out to be a way to bring back Force Ghosts as corporeal beings and Luke will return all reborn Jesus style.

The fact that she's intentionally never had a last name, and the new canon books have already introduced the idea of Force users being called sky walkers, completely separate from the Skywalker family. But mainly because people want her to be a Skywalker and for the title to be about her.

I thought about what Tank was saying as the MacGuffin myself, which could potentially give us like Rey, Luke, Obi Wan, Yoda against like Kylo, Palpatine, Snoke, Maul etc. Then Anakin has to choose which persona to come back as, tipping the scale either way. I don't like this idea. Just something I thought of that was kinda along the lines of something Tank thought of.

As for the saber, yeah its no big deal. All you need is ghost Luke to mention it and then Rey be like "yeah I fixed yours, seemed easier than building my own."

A minor quibble - Kylo really evolve beyond the mask? I don't think he did. Snoke basically made fun of him and Kylo destroyed it in a rage. The mask is Kylo because it gives him something to hide behind, and he needs something to hide behind.

(caveat: This is based on a 2 viewings of TLJ 16 months ago so I could be wrong in my interpretation/memory)

I agree with you, but it seems odd that JJ said that the movie takes place at least some time after TLJ. That Kylo would then wait years to put it back together and also that he would still have the shards?

I thought about what Tank was saying as the MacGuffin myself, which could potentially give us like Rey, Luke, Obi Wan, Yoda against like Kylo, Palpatine, Snoke, Maul etc. Then Anakin has to choose which persona to come back as, tipping the scale either way. I don't like this idea. Just something I thought of that was kinda along the lines of something Tank thought of.

Oh man, I hope they don't do that.

I don't think they will. Just a crazy idea I had. But I do think when so many fans seems to be so hungry just for spoonfed nostalgia (and I don't really think that is anyone here, but certainly applies to some fans) that crazy, ridiculous stuff like this does end up on the table.

A minor quibble - Kylo really evolve beyond the mask? I don't think he did. Snoke basically made fun of him and Kylo destroyed it in a rage. The mask is Kylo because it gives him something to hide behind, and he needs something to hide behind.

I agree with you, but it seems odd that JJ said that the movie takes place at least some time after TLJ. That Kylo would then wait years to put it back together and also that he would still have the shards?

What was the exact quote? Since there was no delay between TFA and TLJ, a couple of months would be "some time" comparatively.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.