Episode 9 News

Dark Wader

"The Rise of Skywalker"!? As titles go, well, that seems more like the name of a fanfic spec treatment for Episode II that was available online at, like, starwarsprequelsrumoursandmore.ezboards.ca during the fall of '00 than a for real movie coming out nowadays.

OK so who thinks Luke is going to be a force ghost, and who thinks he is returning Gandalf-style?

An actual return wouldn't *shock* me at this point, but I think he's coming back as a force ghost but one who will be actively involved. And maybe even interacting in some form or fashion with the physical world.

It's funny at first I wasn't hyped by the trailer,perhaps because I had to watch it on my phone at work. But also just didn't do it for me. I don't like the idea of the Emperor coming back. Having said that, I realized I was doing exactly what I always get on people for doing here. To start with there are many ways that laugh could play into the movie without him physically being back. Either way though, eventhough i tmay not be exactly what I'd want if he were to re-appear it could still be great. I can't get on people for complaining when they dont get exactly what they want in terms of plot or style and then complain when I seemingly don't get what I want.

I love the shot of Rey on the hill with the other good guy characters behind her, seemingly following her. We've never really seen that, Luke never really became the leader of the Rebellion. I like the idea that they are all following Rey.

As for the title, I do like what Lucas said before maybe even more than the idea I had. Which was something along the lines of Luke telling her "you don't have a last name, I'd be honored if you used mine."

After watching at home I'm much more hyped than I was when watching it on the phone. It seems we got alot less in this trailer than we got in the teasers released in April for TFA and TLJ though, which isn't really a bad thing.

Like I always say give me Jedi, lightsabers, the music, a crawl, some ships fighting each other, a character talking about another's destiny and I'm gonna like the movie!

OK so who thinks Luke is going to be a force ghost, and who thinks he is returning Gandalf-style?

Personally I really hope a ghost. I don't like the idea of bringing back dead characters, whether its Maul or Palpatine being teased here. Like Lucas said he possibly could be very involved as a ghost, TLJ shows Yoda's ghost affecting the physical world. I could see though an early emotional scene between ghost Luke and Rey where he apologizes for his behavior in TLJ, blesses her as the successor to the Jedi, tells her it's her fight now and tells her she doesn;t need his help any more. Then that's all we get. I kinda hope thats the case.

But F it, if we get a ton of Luke thats cool too.

In general I think JJ is taking some huge swings here, trying to bring EVERYTHING together. I don't necessarily think he has to do that. He could have simply told the story of Rey and Kylo. It seems like he is trying for something much bigger than that though. Which is cool as all hell. The harder you swing the better chance for a HR, but the better chance for a swing a miss also. I'm glad he is trying to do hit a homer though.

I feel for JJ a bit here because this is what could break him (though I say that loosely). He has to prove he can not only deliver a finish but not just for something he started but a series one of his own heroes did. . .he said recently he was cautious about doing this because he didn't just have to tie up the threads that RJ delivered but ones he delivered himself with TFA. But not only that he has to deliver an ending to something Lucas essentially began with Disney when he sold it off.

I agree with Choc that it seems like he is taking some huge swings here but I don't think he has really had much of a choice with the pressure placed on him for it. I'm still really doubtful he can deliver but honestly the more I think about it, I don't think any other director willing to do it aside from him who could.

Im wondering if Palpatines laugh is not just a swerve. Itll end up being just a flashback of Palpatine or some recording that they see from the Death Star wreckage. They add it to the trailer for kicks and people blow their minds believing hes back in the saga.

They did bring McDiarmid out onto the stage after they showed the trailer, that would be pretty far to take the ruse. Ya never know though.

Hey folks, even though I don't post much I do follow some threads from time to time especially when there's news about an upcoming SW film. Anywhooooo... my thoughts: Loved it! I'm in for the ride...and clearly they are going seriously into recovery strategies.

-The title is intended for us to speculate on to which Skywalker is the title refering to. Anakin, Luke, Leia? even Shmi...

Personally I really hope a ghost. I don't like the idea of bringing back dead characters, whether its Maul or Palpatine being teased here. Like Lucas said he possibly could be very involved as a ghost, TLJ shows Yoda's ghost affecting the physical world. I could see though an early emotional scene between ghost Luke and Rey whIere he apologizes for his behavior in TLJ, blesses her as the successor to the Jedi, tells her it's her fight now and tells her she doesn;t need his help any more. Then that's all we get. I kinda hope thats the case.

But F it, if we get a ton of Luke thats cool too.

I'm mostly in agreement with you. I personally would prefer Ghost Luke. But if we get Gandalf-Luke, I am cool with that too. Really, when you have a force ghost that can affect the physical world, there really is no real difference between that, and resurrection (or retconning Luke not dying in the first place, for that matter), narratively speaking.

This is why I was so sure he'd die in TLJ. The ghost is the ultimate have your cake and eat it too. You can get the emotional gut punch and sacrifice of him dying and still have him back in IX as a mentor anyway.

I don't love the idea that they seem to be going so overly nostalgic again. I much prefer TLJ take which I think uses the nostalgia wisely like R2 playing the hologram for Luke. Sometimes a little bit of that can go a long way. However eventhough I prefer TLJ to TFA, I still do love TFA and a nostalgia fest would be entertaining enough. So although not my preferred way forward it should still lead to a good, fun movie.

It looks great. Rey's flip and Leia's hug got me verklempt.

I like the cast being together, I like the Frankensaber.

But here's what worries me-- JJ is rolling back to a lot of his ideas instead of going forward with what TLJ did. For some people, that's probably a great thing, given the fanbaby outrage, putting these moments in the trailer may even be a very intentional move.

But TLJ had Kylo evolve past hiding behind the helmet, the legacy saber was destroyed, Rey was NOT a Skywalker, Snoke was killed...

and now, helmet and lightsaber fixed, Rey's lineage is clearly being hinted at as Skywalkery, and with Snoke gone, Palpy comes back.

Once again, this round-robin stuff is risky. We may love this movie but if we spend a ton of the movie addressing fanbaby claims from TLJ that's a waste of time.

When I saw the shot of Kylo's mask being welded back together I thought of how symbolic that mask is of the trilogy. JJ created Kylo Ren as a Vader disciple along with mask and black outfit. RJ took it into a different direction looking to kill the past, has Snoke basically make fun of Kylo wearing the mask and so Kylo busts it up. Now the mask is being rebuilt just as JJ is putting the trilogy back together the way he started it.

When I saw the shot of Kylos mask being welded back together I thought of how symbolic that mask is of the trilogy. JJ createed Kylo Ren as a Vader disciple along with mask and black outfit. RJ took it into a different direction looking to kill the past, has Snoke basically make fun of Kylo wearing the mask and so Kylo busts it up. Now the mask is being rebuilt just as JJ is putting the trilogy back together the way he started it.

Amen to that

I feel like most of these ST trailers (no I don't know if that's right or not and I'm sure someone's going to come in here with stats and examples to tell me how wrong I am with an exact percentage and ask how could I possibly think this) have started with heavy breathing. I could be thinking of other movies, but I feel like there's been a whole lot of dark intros with breathing and quiet dialogue and slow fade into someone's face before action and dramatic music and shots that aren't in the final cut of the film.

I (like Tank) am a little concerned about the possibility TRS spends too much time ret-conning and patching things from TLJ. That said I am happy JJ is back if for no other reason than consistency of tone and theme. I was happy with the direction he headed the ship in (albeit with nitpicks and criticisms) in TFA. TLJ was a fine film in of itself, but it felt disconnected to TLJ to me and it threw away many threads I thought were interesting things to follow. I thinK RJ can deliver something amazing if he has his own vehicle with free reign to work with. But it strikes me he wanted to put his own stamp on things with TLJ so hard that it was to the detriment of the trilogy. But he's young and ambitious so it should be expected...

So now I am very amped to see if JJ can pull this conclusion off. I don't mind unresolved things in an ending, the little mystery boxes can be fun for speculation and are great starting points for other media and fanfic or EU lore and all that shit. That said, I think the character arcs of Rey and Kylo need to resolve their respective heroic (and anti heroic) journeys in a satisfying and solid way.

The teaser has me pumped again. The music was incredible, and it has all the right feel I want from a Star Wars. And personally that is the most important aspect of any film to me. Im stoked to see Lando flying the falcon again, that was a joy to see. And the wreckage of the deathstar with Sidious's cackling laughter gave me shivers. For a brief moment I was 10 again. I am eager to find out if that was just a tease or if indeed Sidious has been pulling the strings all along. I mean, he is one of the greatest villain characters of all time so it seems silly to not revive him somehow...

Just my thoughts.. amped. fuckin amped.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.