Episode 9 News

Dark Wader

But another part of me thinks they shouldn't mess with any of that, and write her out in the opening crawl, and establish she fell in battle and it was Kylo who killed her.

Or even start the movie with him standing over her body/cutting her down in the middle of a battle

But another part of me thinks they shouldn't mess with any of that, and write her out in the opening crawl, and establish she fell in battle and it was Kylo who killed her.

Or even start the movie with him standing over her body/cutting her down in the middle of a battle

Brutal

If they're using old footage there's probably not that much of it. I doubt her reappearance will be anything more than a little flashback of her talking to Rey.

We don't know how much footage they have.

Leia wasn't in TLJ for very long, so it is very possible entire scenes were chopped out and saved for episode 9.

Seems unlikely. Before she was knocked unconscious, she was a part of all the scenes for the Resistance. Then she was unconscious for the bulk of the movie, so obviously the only footage they might have of her would be unused coverage of her in bed. And in the last part of the movie she intentionally takes a backseat to Poe. So it's unlikely there's much extra there.

There could be a few clips here and there, but it's not likely to amount to much. On the other hand, we know Leia was supposed to be a part of The Force Awakens much earlier. They've even released two of the scenes:

They could have another scene or two sitting around we know nothing about.

Guest Robin

I dunno if they had time to reshoot scenes for TLJ when Carrie died, but it kinda feels like they could have. And if they had I feel like the plot of the TLJ would not have changed if they let Kylo kill Leia during the starship chase, having that Mary Poppins moment instead just be her death. The rest of the scenes with her were so brief maybe they could have edited around them or just reshot pieces to have someone else say her minimal lines. I dunno. Then dont have Luke fade out, just collapse.

In hindsight: Leia dying in that Mary Poppins moment actually gives Poe the reason to really dig his heels in and rebel against all his superiors decisions.

Johnson has said there is footage of TLJ. JJ asked him about it when he was first brought back in for IX. Johnson said he gave JJ his blessing to use it, although Im guessing it was truly Disney's decision anyway. Johnson added though that he didn't think there was much of anything there that could be used for IX. He said all this a long time ago, like around when TLJ came out.

I dunno if they had time to reshoot scenes for TLJ when Carrie died, but it kinda feels like they could have. And if they had I feel like the plot of the TLJ would not have changed if they let Kylo kill Leia during the starship chase, having that Mary Poppins moment instead just be her death. The rest of the scenes with her were so brief maybe they could have edited around them or just reshot pieces to have someone else say her minimal lines. I dunno. Then dont have Luke fade out, just collapse.

In hindsight: Leia dying in that Mary Poppins moment actually gives Poe the reason to really dig his heels in and rebel against all his superiors decisions.

I think they felt it would be disrespectful to basically wipe out months of Carrie's work to give the character a more workable death. Seems they put the person above the character, which makes sense to me.

Guest Robin

I get that it must have been a difficult decision, in their position I dunno if I would have wanted to feature Carrie as much as possible or rework to make things easier for the next film. Thats why I noted my thought was more a hindsight thing. Its always easy to look back and go... yeah but if.

• 7 months later...

Because both the Daily Mail and the S*n are well known for producing content that can only loosely be labelled as journalism. Extreme right-wing conservative propaganda would be more accurate. They preach nothing but hate; a typical Mail headline usually blames immigrants for some kind of crime statistic, whilst the S*n has literally been banned in a UK city for blaming the victims of a horrific event for it occurring.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.