Episode 9 News

Dark Wader

IMO, TLJ was neither here nor there. It was just... A film. Standard afair, nothing special. I felt neither hatred or joy for it, just a kind of ambivalence as it was 2.5 hours of my life where I kind of just sat semi-engaged with a film that looked like Star Wars but played like some crap I've seen a million times before.

I think that's worse than it being shit. That it doesn't stir ANY feelings in me speaks volumes. Better to love or hate something, in my view. "Meh" is the ultimate in dissatisfaction.

To single out one aspect that did piss me off though.. Was the stupid smart-ass humour thrown throughout. Particularly Poe's dialogue at the beginning. That did piss me off... But otherwise my above statement overrides that.

To single out one aspect that did piss me off though.. Was the stupid smart-ass humour thrown throughout. Particularly Poe's dialogue at the beginning. That did piss me off... But otherwise my above statement overrides that.

I was more annoyed that Poe's crank-call was the first step in Hux being portrayed as such a butt-monkey. If you think about it, he's the descendant of Tarkin. The non-Force user who built a doomsday machine and is on somewhat equal ground with Kylo Ren/Darth Vader at the start of The Force Awakens.

Now just think about how much stronger Tarkin would have been in this Trilogy. A character with the force and will to order freakin' Darth Vader around. One of my big problems with The Last Jedi is that it has essentially doomed The First Order. You've got Kylo Ren and General Hux running the galaxy while squabbling with each other... Yeah, good luck with that. The galaxy doesn't need a Resistance, all they have to do is wait for the whole First Order to implode.

Now, if you had Tarkin in this trilogy, or a character truly like him instead of comic relief, you'd have a formidable character. He would have dominated Kylo Ren in the first movie, safe in the knowledge that Snoke has his back. You know what would happen when he came upon Snoke dead? He'd walk into that throne room, take one look, and continue ordering Kylo Ren around. You know why? Because he'd know that Kylo Ren could never control the galaxy on his own. Now that he's killed the person holding the New Order together, he needs an administrator more than ever who is capable of running things. Kylo Ren could kill him, and spell his own doom. If he wants to achieve his goals, he'll need to listen to him.

Boom. Suddenly, Kylo Ren is trapped again. The First Order is as dangerous as ever. And we have a regular human as the true villain of the saga.

Instead. We have Hux: Butt-monkey extraordinaire.

How though? It's a big galaxy and the Republic was in control of most of it like yesterday thanks to the back-to-back timeline. Snoke had zero time to consolidate his rule before he died. So, to burn the galaxy to the ground, Kylo Ren and Hux will first have to actually conquer it.

As of now, most of the galaxy seems to be free of any centralized government.

Rey does say The First Order has control or will have control of most major systems. The state of the Galaxy at the start of TFA is hazy at best, how much did The First Order already control before that movie even started? I honestly don't really care.

Rey does say The First Order has control or will have control of most major systems. The state of the Galaxy at the start of TFA is hazy at best, how much did The First Order already control before that movie even started? I honestly don't really care.

Wasn't the whole thing that Leia and the Resistance were outcasts from the New Republic because she was a warmonger for taking the New Order threat too seriously?

My understanding of Snoke's plan was that he would to take advantage of a political schism within the Republic where members of major systems that prospered under Imperial rule would welcome a strongman in the wake of the Republic's collapse. In that way he would quickly consolidate his power and leverage it into being able to project power onto other nearby systems and quickly gobble up the galaxy as his resources multiplied. But, as of the beginning of TFA, the New Order was still dwarfed by the New Republic.

With the destruction of the Republic fleet and most of its leaders, Snoke had his opportunity. But now he's dead. Kylo Ren and Hux will need the politicians that were ready to throw in with Snoke to put them in charge, otherwise they'll have to fight for every planet. Can't say it sounds reasonable as neither have shown any political aptitude that would bring all that together.

Wasn't the whole thing that Leia and the Resistance were outcasts from the New Republic because she was a warmonger for taking the New Order threat too seriously?

My understanding of Snoke's plan was that he would to take advantage of a political schism within the Republic where members of major systems that prospered under Imperial rule would welcome a strongman in the wake of the Republic's collapse. In that way he would quickly consolidate his power and leverage it into being able to project power onto other nearby systems and quickly gobble up the galaxy as his resources multiplied. But, as of the beginning of TFA, the New Order was still dwarfed by the New Republic.

With the destruction of the Republic fleet and most of its leaders, Snoke had his opportunity. But now he's dead. Kylo Ren and Hux will need the politicians that were ready to throw in with Snoke to put them in charge, otherwise they'll have to fight for every planet. Can't say it sounds reasonable as neither have shown any political aptitude that would bring all that together.

I don't know, none of that is really handled in the movies. Maybe in the books? I haven't read any of them and I don't really care about them.

Also the opening crawl of TLJ does say that Snoke is trying to get "military" control of the galaxy. I'm not trying to parse words too much but maybe that is there for a reason? Maybe not.

My guess is that at the start of IX some time will have passed and that The First Order will be in firm control of the galaxy. It would actually be interesting though to see the Galaxy in complete chaos with Kylo having no idea how to gain control and his only idea being to kill more, destroy more. That would actually be a far worse fate for the galaxy than a totatliarian but still somewhat competent dictatorship.

The ST relies heavily on people to have knowledge of the saga. Even fanboys who dig beneath the surface are having a hard time figuring out what's going on between the first order and the new republic. If someone who never watched SW watched the ST they'd be damned to try and figure out there was a new republic in the first place let alone how much power it has left and whats becoming of the resistance. It's all over the place. In TLJ we desperately need the scene with DJ talking about what's the difference and that there's a whole Galaxy outside of all this war.

The ST relies heavily on people to have knowledge of the saga. Even fanboys who dig beneath the surface are having a hard time figuring out what's going on between the first order and the new republic. If someone who never watched SW watched the ST they'd be damned to try and figure out there was a new republic in the first place let alone how much power it has left and whats becoming of the resistance. It's all over the place. In TLJ we desperately need the scene with DJ talking about what's the difference and that there's a whole Galaxy outside of all this war.

The thing is that most people don't care. They just know there are bad guys who have a huge military and good guys who are a rag tag bunch. Most viewers don't want to know exactly how The First Order rose or exactly how the New Republic works.

I've watched all of the movies, probably watched the OT hundreds of times based on watching daily in early childhood.

I have no clue what's going on between the First Order and the New Republic, and I don't know how much power they have or what's becoming of the Resistance.

But, regardless, Star Wars is part of the zeitgeist. If you're an adult, you know certain things about Star Wars even if you've never watched a single movie, and certain things aren't really required. I know that there's a Resistance fighting the First Order. The First Order kills innocent people in the first 10 minutes, so they're obviously evil. The good guys are the guys who fight the bad guys, so the Resistance is good.

I'm not sure everything that was shot of Leia for TFA but I kinda guess this will be maybe Rey having a sad moment and thinking back to something Leia said to her at the Resistance Base near the end of the movie. My guess is they won't change or add to the performance at all, no voice actror or anything. Just a guess.

You'd shocked what a bit of footage, a body double, special effect compositing, and a voice artist could do to enhance a limited performance.

No, i mean I believe you. I just don;t know if they are going to do that. If you use a different body for part of the performance and a different voice for part of it, then you are basically recasting anyway.

And I wouldn't have an objection to this myself. I don't believe there would be any disrespect if they did completely recast, although I know they won't and I think it would be a bad idea for other reasons. We all will die and the world will move on without us,doesn't matter if we are an actor or a mailman. I just think they will be careful with what they do here. They don't want the discussion of the movie to be people arguing over if what they did was "respectful" and trying to find out what exactly was and wasn't Fisher.

That's why I think it's most likely some sort of flashback scene where she says something profound or fitting that doesn't really change her performance at all but gives some emotional moment to the fans.

...and I have to ask... do you hate movie score music too?

I don't hate music. I'm mostly disinterested and find it boring as a subject and stand-alone entertainment. As I said, I find a lack of dimension in music. It really does baffle me that it's considered odd that I've never bought a single song or album in my life. Music scores tend to go over my head outside of being able to recognize particularly memorable ones of which Star Wars and John Williams in general naturally take up an outsized share.

For example, if you asked me what I thought of the score of any MCU film, I would honestly answer that the only piece I can remember from any of them is the Marvel Studios logo theme and couldn't begin to tell you if any of them were good or bad. Same goes with pretty most any other movie's score.

Now where you'd find a seemingly odd conundrum is I have a soft spot for musicals. You may have noticed that I love Disney animated films, and most of those are musicals, particularly the modern ones. But I think that's because musicals give music the extra dimension and purpose I find lacking in normal music. Basically, "Night on Bald Mountain" on its own is boring. Hand it to Bill Tytla and have him animate a profane demon personifying the godless terrors of the dark, and you've got a powerful moment in film. Similarly, I wouldn't dream of going to a concert of any kind, but if someone offered me tickets to the ballet, I might be tempted because I'd appreciate the dancers' interpretation and their skills more than the music that inspired it.

Anyway, the question is like asking someone if they like architecture and when they say "no", you ask if they don't like sets in film. It's a bit different.

I don't understand why you don't just let her die between movies. I'll reserve judgement until I actually see it but this feels like Solo did for me where it's an obvious mistake most people could see coming from a mile away but Disney is inexplicably like "YEE HAW!!!!"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.