Justice Kennedy Retires, July 31.

Ms. Spam

What was she said someone yelled? "Hey everybody, Debbie just touched Bret Kavanaugh's penis!" Lol get the hell out of here. Who the hell talks like that? I actually thought for a moment "I know who's behind all this! It was the Dukes! It was the Dukes!" Then I remembered that Randolph and Mortimer did a better job setting up Winthorpe than Dems are. Not only did Beeks put those marked bills on Luis, he also planted PCP on him. Feinstein and company can only come up with drunk women who can't corroborate their stories.

Dr. Ford and Judge Kavanaugh, are both willing to testify.

Here's the problem. One has already testified under oath about this (Democrats didn't show up or even send staffers btw) and is willing to do it again in public at command. The other says she will, but then doesn't answer the phone when the chairman tries to make contact to arrange it and then makes multiple inappropriate demands that they know can't and won't be accepted.

No one has set a date or place to hear their testimonies.

The date has been set twice now. The latest deadline to agree passed over an hour ago.

Anything else is just a million people posturing and postulating conspiracy with their opinion about the event already formed.

Actually, no. Like I said at the beginning of this, I know that drunk kids do stupid things, Kavanaugh did get drunk as a kid, and there is at least minimal evidence. I'm not coming here with conspiracy theories that have been tossed around like it's revenge for Mama Kavanaugh foreclosing on her parents' house and I just actively buried a writer (who I like) because he made a conspiracy theory that was absolutely inappropriate and I wouldn't protest if he was fired from his position for it or sued. I'm not running around spouting off about how she should have made her accusation 30 years ago and since she didn't she should just shut up.

Sunday night I was thinking about joining the side of asking the nomination to be pulled. I literally had this thread open to start the post and decided it would be best to let it sit. That night I got downvoted on a conservative forum to the point where my posts had to be moderated by the administrators so they could be seen because I backed up Jeff Flake in saying that we demanded the person come forward and they have, now the committee would have to investigate this before they voted. Got called "you libs" too.

Except this isn't games where Booker is running around calling himself Spartacus because he did something naughty and demonstrating that he obviously has no clue what "I am Spartacus" even means. This is real stuff. A person has been accused of a terrible crime and everyone, the accuser above all, should be stone sober about the whole deal.

At the moment, her representation bears the hallmarks of a political operator, not a sexual assault survivor. I don't think we should ignore that or pretend that it's not happening.

Sunday night I was thinking about joining the side of asking the nomination to be pulled. I literally had this thread open to start the post and decided it would be best to let it sit. That night I got downvoted on a conservative forum to the point where my posts had to be moderated by the administrators so they could be seen because I backed up Jeff Flake in saying that we demanded the person come forward and they have, now the committee would have to investigate this before they voted. Got called "you libs" too

Tactically, I support withdrawing his nomination at the moment. If Republicans lose the Senate in November, then Trump would need to nomainte another candidate very soon to have them complete the entire process before January, 2019.

However, we can only evaluate things based on whose story is more credible. And when actions are nakedly political, I can't help but say that cuts into the question of credibility. I don't think it's a conspiracy theory either. As I said earlier, this is the exact same playbook Democrats were running three weeks ago during the hearings. Make an impossible demand, pretend it's reasonable when they know it's not, call Republicans big meanies for not giving it to them, and above all delay, delay, delay. Just substitute ever more documents for an investigation or more time for whatever.

Ms. Fords account includes some rather peculiar behavior by Mark Judge and Ms. Fords own behavior is objectively peculiar.

For me, if this present set of events results in a stalemate, Kavanaugh is credible, the accusers are credible, thats not enough to keep him off the Court. The accusers would need some independent corroboration.

I'm going to flat out say that unless there's an eyewitness the NYT and The New Yorker missed (and they looked), I don't think the story from last night is credible. 35 years, alcohol, and a week spent reorganizing her memories where she went from telling people she wasn't certain, to willing to make the accusation nationally. Even if she now believes it, her memory is so tainted that there's a good chance that it's all a false memory.

Ford, I'll keep in consideration, but the Ramirez story, as it stands, I can't even call it "he said, she said". It's just a black hole.

In other news, Kavanaugh claims he was a virgin at the time. So, that's fun. His ex-girlfriends are running around on television. Should be easy enough for them to confirm or call BS considering he opened that door.

His interview tonight turned out to be a few talking points just repeated over and over though. Not a good look.

The one element that is some concern regarding Ramirezs allegation is, despite the double hearsay, the person with information about the incident matches some of Ramirezs account. I emphasize the phrase some concern because its double hearsay, from a person who didnt witness the account, and unclear if their source of information is from an eyewitness account or what someone else heard.

Ms. Fords account, for me, her account doesnt make sense in some areas.

If there are three that are a definite no (pro-tip: there aren't) he's done. They don't have that big of a majority and we're not going to see bipartisan support.

As is, the Republicans are up against the wall. If they don't confirm him, there's risk of an uprising and people staying home for the mid-terms. If they do confirm him, they're in danger of strengthening the Democrats and appearing to be anti-woman by confirming an accused sexual abuser who will vote against Roe v Wade.

So a friend of mine who's a family practice lawyer thinks Kavanaugh is toast and he should just decline the position. Three GOP Senators are a NOPE for him so basically the nomination maybe on shaky ground if they can get more to fall.

That's an odd appeal to authority. Why would a family practice lawyer have any particular expertise on the subject?

If it was known by leadership that three GOP Senators were voting against, the nomination would have already been pulled. So your friend is simply guessing.

If there are three that are a definite no (pro-tip: there aren't) he's done. They don't have that big of a majority and we're not going to see bipartisan support.

As is, the Republicans are up against the wall. If they don't confirm him, there's risk of an uprising and people staying home for the mid-terms. If they do confirm him, they're in danger of strengthening the Democrats and appearing to be anti-woman by confirming an accused sexual abuser who will vote against Roe v Wade.

All very good points. I was thinking of another one.

What if Trump and Republicans delay Kavanaugh, and use the delay to motivate evangelicals and others to get out and vote, warning of what is to come of Democrats prevail. Not likely but the thought crossed my mind.

I don't think there's much calculation going on at all. They're just looking at the calendar, same as the Democrats, and seeing that there's about 90 days left in the year and it takes about 75 to confirm a Supreme Court nominee if they have to move on to plan B. With the Senate at least nominally in play, Democrats would surely kill any Trump nominee and hold the seat open until 2021. That's why Republicans want this over quick and Democrats want it dragged out.

I can say with a fair amount of confidence that Kavanaugh will no longer be a nominee by the end of next week. He either will be a Supreme Court justice, or the former nominee.

So a friend of mine who's a family practice lawyer thinks Kavanaugh is toast and he should just decline the position. Three GOP Senators are a NOPE for him so basically the nomination maybe on shaky ground if they can get more to fall.

That's an odd appeal to authority. Why would a family practice lawyer have any particular expertise on the subject?

If it was known by leadership that three GOP Senators were voting against, the nomination would have already been pulled. So your friend is simply guessing.

Aren't we all just speculating and guessing? I mean who are you?

I just thought it an odd statement. Tank can get away with it when talking about Hollywood because he's in the business, but your friend's career wouldn't ordinarily suggest an overlap with the subject of the Senate's voting patterns. It's like declaring that you're a paleontologist before discussing the funding of space agencies.

I don't think there's much calculation going on at all. They're just looking at the calendar, same as the Democrats, and seeing that there's about 90 days left in the year and it takes about 75 to confirm a Supreme Court nominee if they have to move on to plan B. With the Senate at least nominally in play, Democrats would surely kill any Trump nominee and hold the seat open until 2021. That's why Republicans want this over quick and Democrats want it dragged out.

I can say with a fair amount of confidence that Kavanaugh will no longer be a nominee by the end of next week. He either will be a Supreme Court justice, or the former nominee.

I agree in regards to the timeline comments, but I am not convinced there is not much of a re-election calculus involved. I think it is both.

Trauma can mess with your head a lot, and so can time. Not remembering certain parts, especially things that would be easy to make up, seems more believable to me than remembering every detail.

She's more believable than I expected. If she could explain how she got home I might buy it. 20 minute drive, before cell phones. She left the house alone and scared. Sounds like a memorable walk.

I would like to know why she chose to hide from Kavanaugh in the bathroom but, knowing she had to walk past him and others to exit the house, chose to exit the bathroom, go downstairs, and walk past them, or were they elsewhere?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Man likes beer.

Btw. Is there a reason for Alyssa Milano to be there?

"I'm here because I feel any man's misogyny shouldn't supersede humanity," the "Charmed" actress said. “...I felt like I needed to be here to show solidarity and my support to Ford for this day that surely will be incredibly difficult for her."

Fight the power!

(Better 36 years late than never)

Man, trial of the century. I thought Kavanuagh was crying when he gave his statement. Some of these Congressmen I can't even with. They are flat out rude and I'm talking about both sides. This guy, much like Merrick Garland, probably are very nice guys wanting to be on the Supreme Court and to be through a circus...Kavanaugh actually has a good record and has not had but one appeal on his rulings I think. Honestly this whole type of vilification of any person started back with Clinton. It's just magnified because of the current administration to make this worse than it has to be.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.