Cyberpunk 2077

Odine

On 1/9/2021 at 6:05 AM, Tank said:

By shooting down I mean rebuking his love, not killing him haha. The farm was a stand out for being so different, the AR gun game with his niece and nephew was also cool. He just didn’t do it for me.

Ah right gotcha lol. Yeah I was similar, his character didn’t do much for me but the quests he had were good. What was odd was how hard he comes onto male V but ends up being straight. I thought he’d end up being one of the few bi NPC’s. 

I noticed the same thing with the melee as well. Granted I’m playing on easy on this run but I went heavy on a stealth/hacker build but was still able to take out Smasher with a overpowered sword, easily. I think it’s a mix of bad balancing and shocking AI.

Seriously, I feel like the AI in the original Half Life was more advanced than this game. 

The faction (gangs and police) AI is the most egregious in terms what they promised vs what was delivered.

My favorite cop bit was pulling up to my building and bumping into somebody with my car. Insta warrant assigned, cops in the building start firing. I get in the elevator, dodging them all. 

Two cops spawn in the elevator as it goes up and start shooting. 

So I played the other endings-- the one with Panem certainly provides the most "happy" ending, working with Hanako had the most boring and lame ending. Letting Johnny take the wheel to go in with Rogue makes for a nihilistic ending-- which you could say for cyberpunk is on par, but I didn't love it.

Two of these endings have slight alternates wherein Silverhand keeps V's body, but I haven't tried that.

Since it was quick to see, I also tried the Corpo and Streetkid intros, and as all the reviews say, they are pretty lame and short. Oddly, Nomad is the only one that has actual action to it instead of clicking through cut scenes.

I can't speak to the console specific fixes, but in terms of content, half price is a good deal. It's still a fun play-- just don't expect Game of the Year. If you want a cool environment, basic RPG stuff and lots of running around and shooting, it's worth that easy.

• 11 months later...

So I upgraded my PC this Christmas (Ryzen 7 3800x and RX 6800)  finally and snagged this for 50% off.

Installed some mods that fixed egregious bugs and a few quality of life mods like UI things.. but so far loving my experience. I've put about 5 hours in so far and the only bug I've encountered is Jackie clipping through the floor of an elevator then standing in the correct place.

I feel like people's expectations with this game were so far removed from reality it was ridiculous. As a story based Immersive Sim this game is awesome. It was never going to be an RPG open world sandbox. Even the Witcher3 wasn't like that, it was very much an on-the-rails narrative game albeit with an open map and loads of radient quests. It gave a very good illusion of being a sandbox game though. 

Since I was t expecting the RPG sandbox/life sim some people were I think my enjoyment has been much more.

It's easily the prittiest game I've ever played. Even without ray tracing on. I'm playing at 1440p Ultra settings getting a stable 72fps. Ray tracing off. I get maybe 50fps with ray tracing on at best, but to be honest I prefer the visuals without ray tracing. It just seemed to add waayy too much bloom and haze everywhere. The lighting with all other settings at ultra is way better than any other game I've played anyway...

So yeah.. just done the first few story missions. I'm breaking into Asaka (I think) HQ in the hotel to steal some chip. Loving it so far.

5 hours ago, Odine said:

I feel like people's expectations with this game were so far removed from reality it was ridiculous. As a story based Immersive Sim this game is awesome. It was never going to be an RPG open world sandbox. Even the Witcher3 wasn't like that, it was very much an on-the-rails narrative game albeit with an open map and loads of radient quests. It gave a very good illusion of being a sandbox game though.

I get what you’re saying and agree to an extent but it’s worth pointing out that the reasons peoples expectations were so different to the reality of the game is because …that’s what they were told it was going to be. I don’t think the reaction would have been so extreme if the studio were more realistic in the marketing of it in the first place. 

I got it for ten bucks a few months ago and played through most of the main storyline, I actually really liked it.  There was some glitchy stuff on PS5 to deal with, but it was more annoying than gamebreaking.  I really dug the overall story and the expansive world they built, a lot of the mechanics were really fun too.  I'm really looking forward to coming back to it when they do the PS5 patch and DLC.

2 hours ago, Dark Wader said:

I get what you’re saying and agree to an extent but it’s worth pointing out that the reasons peoples expectations were so different to the reality of the game is because …that’s what they were told it was going to be. I don’t think the reaction would have been so extreme if the studio were more realistic in the marketing of it in the first place. 

To a certain extent I agree. But I think the consumer expectation was built based on the popularity and success of Witcher 3. No matter what the studio could say, people were expecting a masterpiece right out the gate. It was even tagged that on the Steam store page the moment it was listed lol 

They also made people wait almost a decade for it. I have no horse in this because I’ve never had any interest in it, but basically they let hype build forever, and over promised and under delivered. 

Because they announced its development way too early. Before it actually started development proper. I think they announced it when they had done an animatic mood board and just signed the contracts.. which is quite a fuck up.

You'll get no argument from me there.

And yeah, they released an unfinished game. Which is a travesty. Which is why I've waited over 6 months to play it. Not trying to defend or deny the legit atrocious state this game released in.

But I've played enough of it now to see the potential of what this could have been. Seriously, if they had another year or more to work on it, probably would have lived up to every promise they made and been a masterpiece. Its definitely got the basis for something truly special.

As it plays now... I'm having fun, and it looks sick. 

But I have only just met Johnny Silverhand.

4 hours ago, Odine said:

To a certain extent I agree. But I think the consumer expectation was built based on the popularity and success of Witcher 3. No matter what the studio could say, people were expecting a masterpiece right out the gate. It was even tagged that on the Steam store page the moment it was listed lol 

Definitely and I agree that is a massive factor, but they put a lot of fuel on that fire. A LOT. 

And while not necessarily related to the expectations, the fact they outright lied on the games performance on last gen consoles f**ked over a lot of trust I don’t think the company can ever earn back. 

It’s sadly just a perfect example of upper management interference. Forced the developers to announce something too early and then release it before it’s ready. 

A year later, thinking back, I really remember more good than bad. I am still beyond let down by a lack of third person saddled with such an in depth character builder.

I may replay now that all the patches are out and some mods exist.

I played this on a PC with an RTX 2080 Super and a 5 Ghz 9900K. The only bugs I'd encountered was crashing into an invisible car, watching a ghost drink a martini and having invisible tarrot cards dropped on the table. The rest felt like a Grand Theft Auto 5 set in the Blade Runner universe. I'm actually thinking about playing it again, once I plow through all of this last fall's onslaught of title releases.

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2021 at 2:36 AM, Odine said:

There is a third person mod. Not sure how good it is. And there is immersive first person mod when you look down you see your body and your feet.

Given how rewarding my Fallout 4 replay has been thanks to mods, I think once I tire of it I will give Cyberpunk another play, this time with mods. The third person mod has made a lot of headway, but is still a work in progress. Where it stands now, it is stable and functional in terms of exploration and moving about (with occasional glitches, but when you draw a weapon it goes back to first.

There's also been a lot of game balancing mods, a ton of cool visual overhauls, the restoration of cut stuff, and officially speaking, a new huge update just came out that fixes a lot of stuff.

It's been good to see I'm not the only one hating a lack of 3rd person. There's rumors that if it gains some goodwill (and profit) after all the official patches, they might go ahead with multiplayer modes-- if they do that, then they HAVE to build out player character animations. They do that and implementing a 3rd person camera is cake..

The new patch will have updated the game version so maybe wait a week or so for mod authors to update their files to be compatible with the newest version of CP2077. Looks like it's added heaps of content! Very exciting.

Stoked that you are getting into modding. It's super rewarding when you bolt your own desired content into your game and it all runs smooth. 

Modding cyberpunk is a little more complicated as you should only mod manually rather than use a manager. There are 3 different directories to put mods into, but most authors already have the file structure incorporated into their downloads or leave instructions. Otherwise Sintar gaming has a pretty comprehensive guide https://www.sinitargaming.com/cp2077.html

Yes Vortex is great, I use for fallout and Skyrim. If you follow that guide I linked he makes understanding the manual installs pretty easy. Obviously don't install everything he lists, it's more a compendium of mods that can make the game better. The only section I recommend installing everything is the bug fix/patch/stability section. However with the new update from CDPR a lot of that may or may no longer be necessary.

It usually is just copy pasting files to different directories in your CP2077 folder. 

If there is any third party app installs and file edits happening I either usually can't be arsed with the mod or read very carefully if it's something I absolutely want.

I didn't know there was a 3rd person mod for this, I would check it out when it's 100%. I'll play some FPS games but I'm usually not a fan of them. I always play Elder Scrolls and Fallout in 3rd. The only time I enjoy first person is in VR.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.