Cyberpunk 2077

Odine

Also, I don't think the damage output of katanas are the problem, it's Vs survivability. It's a bit crazy that with the right perks I can run out into the open, taking machine gun fire and close the distance to start dicing people up. I mean it's fun and all, but does require some suspension of disbelief

I tried the network approach but unless you have body and damage multipliers to be able to kill your target, it triggers combat mode for every enemy in the field.

The stealth in this game is really dumb, which is why I installed the mod that allows stealth kills with knives and silenced pistols.

I'm pretty sure I downloaded a similar mod that affects stealth/detection and combat mechanics somewhat.

That's why I love PC gaming. Some nerd somewhere has made a mod to fix the annoying thing you don't like about *insert game here* no doubt 

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2022 at 6:14 PM, Tank said:

It is great— and also amusing that literally the first thing modders do with any game is to figure out how to get people naked and overly endowed.

Just wait until Spider-Man comes out for PC!

I just started playing this, it's pretty fun so far. I'm guessing you can't get the katana until later on.

46 minutes ago, CoLA said:

I just started playing this, it's pretty fun so far. I'm guessing you can't get the katana until later on.

You should have a katana in your weapon stash in the apartment I think. Otherwise you can get them from the boxer guy, or any shop that sells melee weapons. In the map you can toggle it onto different modes so you can see just shops and services or quests  etc 

36 minutes ago, Odine said:

You should have a katana in your weapon stash in the apartment I think. Otherwise you can get them from the boxer guy, or any shop that sells melee weapons. In the map you can toggle it onto different modes so you can see just shops and services or quests  etc 

I'll have to go back and talk to the boxer, I walked by him before as I just wanted to hang with Jackie.

2 minutes ago, CoLA said:

Which katana? There are some in shops and they get dropped pretty often. If you mean a legendary one there’s a couple story beats where you’ll get one for sure.

One thing about this game is that there’s a lot of cool gear that’s not too hard to find or get your hands on. Both times I’ve played I lucked into a pretty powerful weapon early on that ends up carrying me through most of the game.

Not sure if you play blind your first time through or not, but if you DO look up hints and tips, google up the location of “skippy.”

I'm definitely a go in blind type, I like to just see what happens. Like if there are choices, I'd rather make my own decisions without knowing the outcomes. Doesn't always work out since I think I got the worst ending in Detroit: Become Human. :P

I did get pretty wrecked in a street fight with some gang members until I found out I could hide out on a rooftop and pick them off one by one. I had to laugh at the guy's voice when they would toss a grenade my way "Who wants a grenaaaade!"

Yeah the leveling in that game is messed up. It’s supposed to both be determined by region and involve scaling, but you’re going to end up in rando encounters with way OP enemies frequently.

Rooftop sniping generally wins the day. If you do the random police scanner missions and the cyber psycho hunting, that will get you money and XP early on.

Well, I'm still at the beginning. I just did the mission where you sneak into Konpeki Plaza and see the dude off his father, then you have to escape. That was pretty intense. I was thinking while your character is hiding this game would be amazing in VR.

I think so? I have a bunch of weapons now, although they didn't do me any good when I was trying to return the vehicles for Delamain. I got to the third car and the thugs there wiped me out in seconds. The katana is pretty badass.

I'm a little farther now, I have Keanu popping up all the time to berate me LOL. Trying to do more side missions than main so I can level up and get money.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Patch 2.0 is out, or coming out very soon and apparently fundamentally changes nearly all of the games systems to make it a true RPG as well as adding in dynamic police system, car chases and car combat plus a load of other things. 

If one was thinking about playing again or for the first time it's in the best state it's ever been in apparently.

https://www.pcgamer.com/forget-phantom-liberty-cyberpunk-2077s-free-20-patch-is-a-staggering-upgrade-on-its-own/

• 1 month later...

Okay, mid-play through with 2.0, and just finished Phantom Liberty. Holy shit snacks, if it weren't for the (broken record warning) lack of a 3rd person view, this would be in my top 10 games ever. Possibly five. 

It is SO much better with the 2.0 changes. Skill progressions make sense and favor you doing a dedicated class build. The random region leveling is mostly gone. The police are basically GTA style now. Weapons are better balanced. Looting ugly clothing and gear for DPS ratings is gone (thank god, I hate this in every game that does it). Crafting and Upgrading makes more sense. Loot and weapons in general level across the game now to match your character. Fewer glitches. Weather changes.... basically all the best mods I had to add to love the game on the last play through are now built in.

Gameplay wise, they fixed stealth (as we talked about above). If you use a melee weapon or silenced gun and get a kill, it will not trigger combat. There's even an adjustment so that even if you don't get a kill, combat won't be triggered right away. Basically, unless your target or a camera sees you (sans the lag they'd have if passive) it will only send the target into combat mode, not every enemy in the area. So if you can duck behind something, and hit them again for a kill, it won't trigger everyone else.  I'm getting a kick replaying familiar missions cause you can stealth all the way through now.

My play style has been to sink my points into Cool, Int, and Tech. This lets me hack a bit from the outskirts, then do a bit of sniping, then stealth past whomever I couldn't snipe, and if I get spotted, I jump into assault mode. (Sans the hacking, this kinda how I play most any action game).

Really my only complaint, is that the map is so big and there's so many varied missions that sometimes it doesn't feel coherent narratively-- but I am willing to admit this is the nature of an open world and I tend to have this issue with any game that's not on the rails to some degree. My only other, minor, complaint, is that I've always felt that Night City was too pretty. I get that the corporate sector SHOULD look fancy, and yes, the outskirts are covered with miles of trash... but the almost ever-present sunshine and amazing lighting and holograms makes it look a little too fancy. It feels more like Japan after an economic disaster and I like my cyberpunk to be a little more post-apocalyptic.

To that-- Dogtown SO nails the aesthetic. I wish the whole game looked like Dogtown. Especially the old arena. Which brings me to--

Holy shit, Phantom Liberty is amazing. It's easily as good as the main storyline in the game. Idris Elba's character Reed is so on-point as a ex-spy that was burned being brought back into action. His morals and allegiances are conflicted, but his skills are on point, but he's not infallible. Alex is a great minor character, Songbird is tragic, and some of the minor characters you meet are interesting and actually make me go for the blue dialogue options.

The villain is passable, not amazing, but very fitting to the story. But like I said, the design and backstory of Dogtown is superb, and the level and environment design is top notch and has all the vibes. Even the random side missions and gigs feel fully fleshed out.

Phantom Liberty is basically Escape From New York meets Blade Runner meets MI: Ghost Protocol.

There are four endings, and according to IGN (which is awful) I ended up with the "worst" one-- but to be honest, even though it wasn't a happy ending, it felt the most true to me in terms of a cyberpunk story in terms of genre. I didn't;t get my personal happy ending, Reed was left demoralized, but I screwed over the system. I enjoyed it and didn't feel the need to restore to a previous save to try again.

If any of you slept on this game cause of its shit launch, or haven't dove back in, definitely do it now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.