Cyberpunk 2077

Odine

It's still a work in progress like I said, but if you scroll back through this thread you'll find me complaining about a lack of 3rd person from the second it came out as a FPS. It still boggles my mind to sell an RPG as FPS only, where you never see your character.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

It's still a work in progress like I said, but if you scroll back through this thread you'll find me complaining about a lack of 3rd person from the second it came out as a FPS. It still boggles my mind to sell an RPG as FPS only, where you never see your character.

What I found weird about that is there is a lot of character customization in the game, too. Why have that if you don't see the character? The Far Cry games do this and it's baffling. My character could be a giant purple potato with hands for all I care if I don't see them! I swear there's a Skyrim mod for that, now that I think about it...

• 1 month later...

Well I dove back in using Vortex for mods. Running some bug patches, a few retextures for characters, a weather mod, and a few other visual tweaks along with some retextures for the romance-able characters and the new official patch. I can't say it's a night and day difference, but it definitely feels less glitchy.

I'll never love the lack of third person (the mod is really sketchy still), I also still think they provided overkill with options for the graphics, meaning you have to be a video scientist to get this thing to look good consistently (some scenes look amazing, some are horribly subpar). The police still have the annoying glitch that makes for spawning in an unfair way (as in appearing right behind you in a closed space when you have a wanted level).

I tried installing some mods that are supposed to balance the vehicles and give you customizing options, but given there are only a few racing missions and readily handy fast travel points, buying, collecting, and modding cars seems to be a zero sum game. (To be fair, I have the same issue with GTA which is a "car game" technically).

One mod that has made a huge difference (for the way I play) makes it so if you kill somebody in an enemy area using a silenced gun or a thrown knife, it will not trigger all other enemies to go into combat mode. The stock game only lets you stealth kill with grabbing from behind, making silencers utterly pointless. It seems like a mistake, but I guess it's the same logic that makes for a in-depth character creator for a game that never lets you see your character to offer a stealth mode where you can't perform a stealth kill.

All that said, aside from only being first-person, really my only big complaint about the game is that it uses DPS. I hate hate hate hate equipment/armor leveling in a game almost as much as first-person. It's good I can't see my character because he looks like a clown given that after a battle, I loot, and equip the highest rated gear, which of course always looks the stupidest. I don't understand the point of it. Just give me weapons and armor with stats that I can buff and upgrade as I see fit and level up and have more money.

DPS effects global leveling, so it creates this other issue in that enemy level scaling in this game is also trash. It doesn't adjust enemies to your level. Certain missions just have enemies at a certain level. Regardless of skill or gear, these enemies can one-shot you until you hit the same level as them, then it's suddenly balanced. The game does you the favor of giving them a skull on their stats to let you know it's pointless to fight them.

Beyond all that, I am getting sucked back in. The core story really is good and well written even if the voice acting sometimes falls short. I'm playing a different PC class and gender/sex than before, so I am noticing small but subtle differences. Also chipping skills differently than I did before, which has made some interactions turn out differently. The earliest was, playing with more points in intelligence, I was able to hack the credit chip given to you to buy the Flathead in the first mission for Dexter. I went in and shot my way to keeping the thing so I got to keep all that money. Also, as a dude, I was able to have a random hook up and bang the corpo chick from the mission in a sleazy hotel. Lots of little things like that.

Doing a lot of the rando NCPD missions early on too helped me get in the money a lot quicker. I also realized that the regional fixer missions aren't given to you, you have to find them on the map-- i missed that before and thought they came in randomly, so those too are offering new experiences, and ways to level up and get money ahead of the bigger story missions.

Off to meet the Voodoo Boys next. Last time I played I ended up having to lill off my contact and made enemies of them, going to try and not do that this time.

If this patched version been the game released, along with a 3rd person mode, the OG background start points the initially promised for different classes, more romance options, no DPS and crap enemy leveling... it could have been my game of the year.

Well no, because it came out the same year as Last of Us 2, which is the greatest game ever.

I tend to avoid walk-throughs when I play games unless I am truly stuck somewhere. It just feels like you are killing the experience to just know everything going in.

That said, on second play throughs I m more inclined to check as I am interested in seeing what I missed. To that-- I decided to google up some armor that looked cool that could a little more permanent for me.

Also, I got my hands on a gun named Skippy-- which is basically like what if Microsoft Word's Clippy was a lethal weapon. It has provided great fun, but a thing just happened with it that if I had read about it in a walkthrough I could have avoided. So now I am mad at this game again.

My next playthrough I'm gonna go Corpo female melee only with mantis blades and a bit of stealth/hacking. 

I played Corpo last time but I was full corporate deush and the ending was suitably grim. Want to ally with Voodoo boys and Johnny Silverhand more this next time.

Tried the start up with Street kid and I couldn't get into character. For some reason I'm drawn to Corpo, prolly cause it's the polar opposite to me IRL.

DMT rave cowboy from space is how I identify for sure lol. I’m looking a little more the part these days… See below.

After my first play through I tried the corpo beginning and it just felt to anti-cyberpunk. Didn’t feel right.

Doing a street kid this time, and it’s kind of a generic background. Nomad is what I did before and it def has my preference. The beginning is about 3 times as long as the either two classes, and all the stuff with Panam’s crew hits a little closer to home.

I wish they had better mechanics for the other classes the TTRPG offered. Netrunner skills are definitely there for you to toy with,  but the lack of cyberspace outside of the Alt Cunningham story is disappointing. It would be cool if you could go full Neuromancer and just play as a netrunner while the street samurai did the action. Less exciting of a game, but they could have done more. Fixers make more sense as giving jobs. Rockerboy, night quite as playable and they cover it with Johnny— but a cop or media character could have a lot of interesting stories too.

Problem was, they needed the core story to stay generic for all classes I guess.

Playing male this time too, and like most games, I find the male voice actor just too affected and droll compared to the female.

While I prefer my nomad female to my dude streetkid, this play through has been a lot more in depth. Last time I didn’t do many of the Fixer gigs, or random side missions. You really miss out on a lot of details, not to mention they take you to more locales. I’m really appreciating Night City And the visuals more. The weather mod I installed has really helped too.

The extra exploration and taking my time has helped me get decent weapons and armor, and stats. Just starting Act 3 and feel like I no longer need to loot.

If you get the Voodoo Boys on your side, congrats to you. First play through I had to kill them all, this time I walked out of the meet, but we weren’t friends. Not sure faction alliance works outside of story missions. I’ve accidentally killed so many people of each faction that it doesn’t seem to make a huge difference. Maybe they see/attack you faster if you piss them off in a story mission? I need to go back to 6th street to find out. I was doing their drinking/shooting completion and accidentally winged somebody and they all turned on me so I killed the whole block.

1ECDECD0-3E55-45F8-86A1-D68D1AFA6C44.jpeg

I really wish the romance options were better. Panam and Judy are both great characters, River is such a soft beta bitch I can’t stand him.

But there’s basically only one option for you regardless of gender and orientation. (Aside from the joy toys and the one-off with the corpo chick if you’re a dude.) Claire, Rogue, Mitch, maybe even Goro could have all been filled out a little more. Also don’t love how once you lock it in, your paramour just becomes a texting buddy.

That said, on the good side, making a point of doing all the fixer gigs. While they rotate between mission type, lots lots of fun little mini stories hidden in them, and really good loot.

I had the one off with Corpo lady as a female V. I think to unlock that you have to succeed the mission buy giving them the money card that has the virus in it, i.e follow her instructions to a T. 

Also, dunno if you noticed but in the room after that interaction is a massive vibrating dildo that can be used as a blunt force melee weapon and it has quite high damage. Also the sound of it is on point. Like, the Foley artist should get a raise for that realism.

Oh yeah— I was using that until I scored an iconic katana!

And good to know for next time when I go back to girl V. I actually hacked the card and got the cash, which was a great way to get some scratch at the top of the game. That’s the other benefit to doing the gigs, they rack up a lot. I was up 200k by the end of the second act and was kitted out in good stuff.

I finished tonight, let Johnny and Rogue do the final mission. I didn’t love the ending, felt like it says V learned nothing. The ending with the Nomads is much better.

Going to reload to my last save before the point of no return and try for the secret ending even though it’s supposedly super hard and doesn’t checkpoint.

For all my complaints, I do like this game. I think I complain because the world and content are great and I wish it wasn’t marred by the fact the wanted to make a narrative RPG but built it on a FPS looting platform.

But there are so many great moments in the story, and even just existing in the world. I was driving through the city, there was pink neon and palm trees against a sunset and the perfect vapor wave music on the radio. I want to marry every Mox I see. I get actual body horror waves of revulsion looking at the Maelstrom. There’s so many perfectly designed tight alleys that scream Japan, California, 80s, neon, wet street cyberpunk perfection.

I seriously think most of Cyberpunks problems can be laid at the feet of management. And probably at the limitations of the Red Engine and whoever was responsible for upgrading it and the tools for developing the game.

Creative depts excelled in my opinion, however. The art, design, sound, is all amazing. Cyberpunk is one of the most atmospheric games I've played. It's great for that. But that makes the launch of the game that much more of a tragedy. So much potential...wasted.

I wished they announced the game a year or two later than they did. When they had actually started development proper, not just after aquiring the rights and having made a few mood boards.

I'm glad CDPR are switching to Unreal 5 engine for upcoming games like Witcher 4. Less time fucking around improving their own engine to work, and more time spent making an awesome game. Which we know CDPR is actually very good at.

I picked up an LG 55" 4K CX OLED 120Hz (G-Sync/Free-Sync) television in the 1st week of February. I had an EVGA GTX 1080 Classified in my 10850 rig, in the living room and about 3 weeks ago I replaced it with a ASUS Strix RTX 3060 TI OC gpu. I started another campaign, and chose to do the a female character for V. The Ray Tracing since the patch is even more intense than it was before. I believe that they have added other RT features that I may just turn off. I had to run it at 1440p with DLSS to keep it above 60 fps, but I think if I just leave RT for reflections and shadows that I might be able to run it at 4K. 

I tried it on my TV and it looked amazing-- until you moved, then it turned to mud. I've never been more frustrated by graphics than I am with this game. When I see other people's screenshots I'm just green with envy, even after doing a bunch of 4k retextures and reshades... I have a decent video card, but there's just too much in the way of settings for me to wrap my head around.

Also, ray tracing was too much for me. Too many crazy lens flairs and haze and stuff. I prefer the visuals with Ray tracing off tbh. And it runs way smoother. 

(I have an AMD GPU which don't handle ray tracing as well, but RT was never important to me)

Started it today, got just into the tutorial and had to stop. It's beautiful and plays perfectly fine with my setup, including my less than state of the art GPU, even with pretty high graphics settings.

I'm not going to be able to play this quickly, though. My wife doesn't like video games, and I can't play this around the kids, so it'll have to be at times when everyone is gone and I have free time. But that's okay, because it isn't going anywhere.

Knowing that it's all first person helped me to not spend too much time on character creation, so I feel like that was helpful.

You should probably dodge some of the above, there's lots of spoilers-- but please, yes-- ask questions! Happy to help. There's lots of different systems at play in this thing that took me a minute to grasp.

What background/class did you go with?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.