Cyberpunk 2077

Odine

Finished my first play through of this today. Decided to order the Series X so going to do a proper second run when that comes in.

But overall, really loved it and thankfully some of the controversies have died down so seeing a lot more people appreciate it. Clocked in 40 hours on the base PS4, so it is definitely not unplayable (though the last few hours the PS4 was starting to sound like it would take off)

The main campaign in this was really strong, probably one of the better stories for this style of game.  As you get further into it, it does become evident why the FPS style was central to the narrative.

I think the strongest thing about this game was the characters. Judy, Jackie and in particular Panam were some of the most memorable NPC’s I’ve come across in a game.

I continue to be split on my opinion. I agree with you on the characters. They are great and there’s some killer moments— I just wished they weren’t so boxed in with a lot of filler.  There is a huge disparity between the story missions and side character storylines with the rando side gigs and encounters.

Add it in all the little glitches and the uneven-ness makes it seem worse. 

I also think the voice acting is uneven. You can tell the actors just hit the booth and did their lines blind. Tones and reactions don’t line up, V will start a convo cool, get randomly hit or morose, then flip to another.

I really was spoiled by how Last of Us was PERFORMED not recorded. 

Some days I sit down to play and I make it 20 minutes before getting stuck in some inexplicable situation the game has not properly prepared me for or get bored and quit. Or, like tonight, I sit down and am hooked for a few hours.

I think if this game is decent and not the disaster people are acting like it is. If it was less glitchy, more focused and even with the story, made cinematic cut scenes, and (sorry, never giving it up) was in third person, it would be the masterpiece people were expecting.

It's been playing pretty fine on both of my PCs, since the 1.06 patch. I had one instance where the game would crash, right after doing a continue, but I just loaded a save from 2 minutes before and went back to business. I'm 41 hours in and just finished a second mission for River, which was pretty intense. I think that I need a little break from this though.

On 12/31/2020 at 7:33 PM, Tank said:

There is a huge disparity between the story missions and side character storylines with the rando side gigs and encounters.

I also think the voice acting is uneven. You can tell the actors just hit the booth and did their lines blind. Tones and reactions don’t line up, V will start a convo cool, get randomly hit or morose, then flip to another.

Yeah definitely agree with you there. The disparity wasn't hugely apparent to me at first because I was rushing through the story but now I've gone back and done some more of the side missions while I wait for the X to arrive. It's the same issue with a lot of these open world games - Fallout 4 had the same thing with the search for your son in the main mission and Witcher 3 with Ciri. Maybe it's just more obvious due to how well done the main story is in this. 

Voice acting I found it more with V definitely. One scene in particular with Panam, my male V had a high pitch excited moment that didn't fit in with the tone whatsoever. Keen to see how it is with the female V though, from memory Mass Effect and Fallout 4 had much better female voiceovers over the male counterpart. 

I always play female for some reason. She’s decent, but those uneven moments happened.

I hit the point of no return last night, surprisingly given that I’m only level 30 and I know there are crazy weapons I haven’t even seen yet. I hope this isn’t one of those times where I have to grind for a month just to play the end.

This far, there’s only been one mission I couldn’t pass— the final boxing fight. I watched videos on how to beat the dude but could never time it right. I ultimately went with the option to throw the match.

I’ve a lot of HUD glitches lately. Also bummed that once you sex up your romance choice their involvement in the story seems to end. Nothing feels timed out.

5 hours ago, Tank said:

I hit the point of no return last night, surprisingly given that I’m only level 30 and I know there are crazy weapons I haven’t even seen yet. I hope this isn’t one of those times where I have to grind for a month just to play the end.

I get the impression they cut a lot of content right before the point of no return. I was about the same level when I played it (though my difficulty was low) and getting there feels kind of sudden. 

5 hours ago, Gamevet said:

Yeah, once you end a storyline with a character, they kind of just repeat the same lines when you see them again. I got a couple of texts from Panam, saying she was missing me, yet when I show up in their camp it like “what’s up V?”.

Yeah I heard from the others you get a bit more post-romance content than you do from Panam. I ended up choosing an end game that involved Panam just for more Panam. 

Once Panam is accepted back into her tribe, your chance of romance with her is pretty much over. Also, Panam is into a manly person, so the girl on girl probably isn't going to happen, and with Judy you either have to be an effeminate male, or a lady. I entered the last part of Judy's story and told her that her ass looked good in that wetsuit. She replied with "Dude, seriously!" I ended up getting a key from Judy for her apartment and she still sends messages to my character.

Finished my first playthrough-- here's some random thoughts:

First and foremost, I'll finish with the complaint I began with. No third person. The last scene was a cinematic and it was the only time I'd seen V's voice from the character I had designed and it just hit me HARD how wrong the choice was. At the very least, they should have kept the cut scenes as 3rd person. To me, video games are like movies. Even with me at the wheel, seeing third person is the best format. First person never feels immersive to me, it gives me the opposite feeling. I've played a few VR games, and THAT is immersive AF, but watching a screen-- I just don't like it in first person. Nothing about this game made me feel as though it HAD to 1st person, which makes me think it was a flaw in the programming. For all the reasons I've said for pages in this thread-- it was the biggest mistake possible.

My least favorite parts of this game: "scan the area for clues." It's always a huge area with no indication as to what you're looking for and you just have to find it by accident. Half the time I'd have to check online to find it because I would be bored. And half of those half I'd find out that there was a glitch making what I was looking unreadable and i'd have to go back to a previous save.

Like most open world games, the story doesn't make great use of the map and make you visit every quarter. It was also criminal they removed vehicle customization. The vehicles are great designs, but ultimately are not that different from each other in performance. Also, why do NPCs get cooler clothes and cyberwear? I feel like the character programmers and the world team did not share notes.

I played as a female Nomad, and near as I can tell I had four ending options. One path working with the Arusaka daughter, and one working with Panam and her nomads. Of those two choices, I could do it as myself, or as Johnny.

I have enough save files I can go back and see just how different they are. That said, I'd have to replay from the top to see if the Panam option is there as a Corpo or street kid. With my ending, it would have worked best if I was a dude nomad, romancing Panam. Like I said above, I had Judy (found River to be boring) and it was nice she came along in the end, but I feel like the roll Panam played should have been for your mate-- I'll have to see if the endings vary over the other two classes.

The glitches were mostly centered around objects people would hold, scannable things not being scannable, and a LOT of HUD glitches. The inventory/crafting/upgrade system was annoying and over-fraught, and ultimately didn't make a huge difference. The best gear I had was randomly looted. Like I said, I tried a mission I was way outclassed for and managed to kill one dude, took his gun, and ran like hell and managed to save it. It took me through most of the game until River gave me his gun. Also, the police and crowd AI was abysmal and straight up NOTHING like it was promised to be.

All those complaints aside, I DID have fun, and the world was really, really cool. The story was decent, when the above issues weren't undercutting it. There is a GOTY level game in this mess and it's sad they didn't find it. Had they done mocap and performed the cut scenes ala Naughty Dog or Rockstar the level of heart would have shot up. Do that, get rid of the glitches, bring the AI up to where it was promised, and it could have been there. All things another year could have accomplished.

I'm not rushing back into it, but I'm sure I'll play it again to try different opens and endings.

13 minutes ago, Tank said:

I have enough save files I can go back and see just how different they are. That said, I'd have to replay from the top to see if the Panam option is there as a Corpo or street kid. 

I had the Panam option as a Corpo. I don't think any of the endings change based on the class, I think just some alternate dialogue trees. 

Honestly that's my biggest complaint, there isn't really any deviation aside from the prologue between the classes. Before it came out, I had the impression the game could be largely different depending on the class you picked but doesn't seem to be the case. 

Yeah, I just read up on the endings without spoiling myself too much— seems like from my save point right before the point of no return I can access all of them, so that’s cool. And yeah, the Panam/Nomad option is one of them despite your class— I got a few specialized lines, that’s it. Again, if you’re a dude and hook up with her it’s the only romance option with more content. You can get Judy if you play female like I did to show up, but I guess River gets nothing?

I just read this funny article about the author having all these crushes on un-romancable characters— like Claire. 

By shooting down I mean rebuking his love, not killing him haha. The farm was a stand out for being so different, the AR gun game with his niece and nephew was also cool. He just didn’t do it for me.

Actually this is a prime example of how 3rd person cut scene with a performance could have landed things versus me just watching a dude talk at me.

At least with Judy’s dive you could look at her butt.

Sadly, sex with Judy did not include the scissoring that the animation with the Joeygirl included.

So I had two weed gummis and got bored and decided to try one of the other endings. I chose to go with Araisaka lady's plan-- storm the tower to the shareholder's meeting and blah blah blah. In an early part, I accidentally tabbed to my melee weapon. 

It was a gold baseball bat that was literally dropped in front of me a few missions back, nothing I had to work for. So this mech I had been taking dodging potshots at to plink little chunks from it's armor suddenly takes a dive when I hit it with the bat.

I pause to confirm, that through the randomness of poorly programmed leveling/DPS systems, that my bat has the highest damage and DPS of all my weapons.

Being high, I could no way manage my usual stealth until I get seen then go in guns blazing approach, so I decided to try the entire end of the game with just running up to the closest target and swinging the bat.

Again, this weapon was a drop from completing a mission, NOT some cheat-weapon. Nor am I one of those RPGers who likes the fun of trying to beat a game with just melee... and yet, I just BONKed my way through every enemy, including the eloquent dialog disabled Adam Smasher, rarely taking cover and hitting my health recharge when I started to die)

I'm also not playing on a low difficulty. There's no way this should be so easy to do. This game is so broken. As was the glitch that made Honako an enemy of her miniskirt forcing her to crabwalk through the scene.

23 minutes ago, Tank said:

Right... but it shouldn’t be that way. 

I've ran into missions where that strategy totally falls apart.  When you alert a camp of your presence and they have snipers, you're pretty much a sitting duck. That's when you need to use a more stealthy approach, by hacking enemies, cameras and other defensive weapons, instead of using a head-on approach.

Far be it for me to say with any certainty on balancing as I've not even played CP77 yet (I'm waiting for bug fixes, more mod support and Nvidia s second run of 3060 Tis) but being able to finish the game as a melee character in a shooter says to me that it IS balanced. Not having to switch out to being a shooty shooter in the end game when you've played your character the whole time as a Mc Stabby Stab, demonstrates quite good balancing no?

No.

The game lives on it’s combat and fun types. Sure, there’s always fun in trying to see how much you can melee through. 

But when a story reward drop gives you a weapon that can kill giant mechs and final bosses in 2-3 hits, that’s a mistake.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.