Cyberpunk 2077

Odine

Man... the writing and voice acting wasn't great. I don't think any of the NPCs were interesting. They just feel like overblown stereotypes. None of them seemed to have the nuance and depth of the characters from The Witcher 3.

The dialogue was pretty bad... But this was just a taster to give a feel for the game. It's not representative of the final product. I'm sure the characters will be fleshed out more and the dialogue worked on, given the most common criticism and feedback to CDPR is that the dialogue is cringe worthy.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone picked this up and played? It is getting an absolute smashing online by people considering the performance and it not meeting their...impossible expectations.

So I’ve been playing a little bit on the base PS4 since I haven’t had a chance to get a next gen console yet, and while the performance isn’t great it’s not anywhere near as bad as it’s been made out to be.

And what I’ve played I’ve loved. Funny in this thread I mentioned it looked like it will be a spiritual sequel to the original Deus Ex, cause that’s exactly what it is.

8 hours ago, Tank said:

Fired it up, spent an hour perfecting a character I will never see because first person.

I wish they’d just ripped off Fallout 4 a bit and at least show the character you build during the dialogue parts. I mean, they went to the effort to record all of the voices anyway, and would have kept up the cinematic theme. 

I'm running a RTX 2070 and installed the GeForce enhanced driver specific to the car. Sometimes it looks great, other times... less? I'll always see videos and screen shots that look better than what I can get. But it's always been that way. 

Mostly, any time I actually see my character the graphics are at their worst-- in the car in 3rd person, or in a mirror, it just looks terrible. No where near the quality of the character generator... which again-- why bother if you never get to see them? I mean, I made this super hot chick with a huge rack and dong and what is the point?

No 3rd person has been my complaint since it was announced. When I am into it, and on mission and the bullets are flying and the music is thumping, i don't care. but in the slower moments I am let down.

Actually— GeForce experience basically ruined Star Wars Squadrons for me. After installing it the graphics were trash.

I uninstalled it and the problem is still there somehow married to my save data— and no amount of settings changes makes a difference.

Thankfully Cyberpunk got better with it uninstalled. I also turned off Chromatic Abberation and you’re right— made a huge difference. As did locking my FPS and backing off the motion blur and lens flare.

You have a choice with GeForce Experience. I usually take it as advice and will make adjustments to fit the performance I'm looking for. I'll click on the optimize button and then make changes within the game to fit my needs. I also overclock my GPUs, so I can sometime up the settings as needed.

I am new to windows and PC gaming, and I will say straight up, as a long time console and Mac guy, I detest the amount of work you have to do to get a game looking decent and playing well. I get that's the whole point of PC gaming, is to tweak every parameter, but it's been endlessly frustrating to me.

Anyway-- I've finished the first act now of Cyberpunk and it's pretty awesome. The action has been hard but not too hard, now that I got the right settings it looks great, the music is fun, and the overall aesthetic is my jam.

Really, my only complaint is still just the first person element. I'm just blown away they chose to do it with this game. I mean-- it is a choice. If you look at shooter games, they are always about the action and the story is secondary. This game has the depth, performance, look, and story level of a more cinematic game. Like a Rockstar,  or Naughty Dog game. Which is nuts, because they did the same thing with The Witcher. This game has a lot of cut scenes that are performed, and it just seems like a waste to make it stay in first person. 

I get they wanted immersion, but honestly, I think it makes things worse. I never been more emotionally invested in a game than I have with TLOU2, Red Dead 2, and Mass Effect. They way they blend cinematics with 3rd person action fits an epic, character driven story. To make you design a personalized character and hardly ever show them isn't immersive, it reminds you that you're playing a game, listening to a disembodied voice.

Don't get me wrong, I am super digging this story, but that one extra level of removal is really noticeable to me.

I see what you’re saying, but the more I play through I can see why they made the choice. Some of the areas are very confined and I think it would have ended up being a bit of a camera nightmare in game. They could have gone the Fallout route and given you an option, but even in Fallout it looks kinda cheap and nowhere near the level of Red Dead or GTA for example.

But on the other hand, as you pointed out, to have so much focus on the character creation and then never see the avatar is a bit ridiculous. 

And Sony have now pulled the game from the online store due to all the bugs - based on my own experiences on PS4 it seems a bit extreme, but really going to be a rough ride for this game sadly. 

Sony pulling it from their store is a pretty damning blow. It’s a little crazy cause the game has been in development so long it’s not like it was built for next gen— Xbox One and PS4 were the dev kit platforms they’ve had for years.

I couldn't even say for 100% why it's so terrible when I have only played the first hour or so. It's the same graphics as Fallout 4 (sort of), same idea, same world... but it just doesn't grab me. And yes, I HATE the fact I have to share the world with randos from the internet even if I can completely ignore them. It just feels off.

12 minutes ago, Tank said:

I couldn't even say for 100% why it's so terrible when I have only played the first hour or so. It's the same graphics as Fallout 4 (sort of), same idea, same world... but it just doesn't grab me. And yes, I HATE the fact I have to share the world with randos from the internet even if I can completely ignore them. It just feels off.

That’s pretty much how I feel about Fallout 4. I loved 3, liked New Vegas, and just couldn’t stand 4.

I had a pirated copy of Wasteland on the C64. I really didn't get how to play it at the time and moved on to the next game.

I played Fallout 3 on the 360 1st and then the PC. I played Fallout: NV on 360 and then played it on the PS3. I completed 3 twice, while I got bored with my 2nd playthrough of New Vegas. I played Fallout 4 on the PS4 and managed to get a Platinum trophy for the game after some 240 hours of gameplay. I tried to replay it on the PC and just kind of moved on to something else. Fallout 3 is the best of the series, and no, don't even mention the older games......meh!

76 is sorta fun if you just want to run around and blow away Red Hat wearing Zombie Golfers while you’re wearing an Elf Hat with a Santa beard. And if you want to build a home with a million different plushies as decoration.

Lore wise I just pretend it is a dreamworld that a Fallout 4 Synth is existing in when they sleep.

Anyway...

I want to play Cyberpunk 2077 a bunch, but with all these console issues I think I’ll wait until I finally get to upgrade to the newest gen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.