The I've Seen Solo Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

Finally saw it. Overall I thought it was good. Not great, not really good. Just good.

It's biggest flaw was that it had no heart. Which is weird because that's what Ron Howard does. I would kind of guess that's why he was brought in, but I guess he failed(?)

But my other main peeve is how Lucasfilm handcuffs themselves trying to make everything connect to the OT. It was okay in Rogue One because that was kind of the whole point of the film. But Solo is so hugely constructed around scenes and lines of dialogue from the OT: "fair and square", the Kessel Run, Han shoots first, "I'm not saying that all the time, you'll need a nickname".... each one was more groan-worthy than the last. I thought my eyes might never roll back.

Look, we don't want wild inconsistencies created from ignoring those lines of dialogue (see Lucas' prequels), but you don't have to explain every little thing and make a movie that feels like a checklist of significant lines from ESB. It's clumsy and awkward.

I'm fairly certain I'm not a genius, but why do I get this concept and the industry pros LFL don't? Are there not screenwriters and directors with taste/sense/vision who can create original SW material that is consistent with the look and feel of the series, does not ignore continuity, and can reference past films, when necessary, in an intelligent way?

Nope. Movies are products now instead of art, and LucasFilm seems to be no different, sadly.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I enjoyed this film as much as I did. It was great the first time, only okay the second time. And now as I've been mulling it over, I've been wondering if it's even worth reconciling all the inconsistencies into my head canon, letting the two Han Solo trilogies stand on their own without any retconning.

I think I will begrudgingly keep Solo for now but may very well reconsider later.

I'm fairly certain I'm not a genius, but why do I get this concept and the industry pros LFL don't? Are there not screenwriters and directors with taste/sense/vision who can create original SW material that is consistent with the look and feel of the series, does not ignore continuity, and can reference past films, when necessary, in an intelligent way?

That's what happens when LFL has "bring your kid to work" day.

Nope. Movies are products now instead of art, and LucasFilm seems to be no different, sadly.

You're right, of course. I suppose I'm an idealist who believes that it is possible to create a 'product' that's also great (genre) art.

Totally possible. Also possible to make great SW films. What you can't do is please fandom because the fanbase is super splintered at this point. No matter what you do, somebody will cry foul.

I think that another issue with the fanbase is the alt-right trolls being so well organized. I was called sexist because I wasn't interested in a new Ghostbusters movie.

In general, Americans just seem to be really angry all the time, which is weird because marijuana is legal so many places. People should be more chill.

You're right, of course. I suppose I'm an idealist who believes that it is possible to create a 'product' that's also great (genre) art.

Totally possible. Also possible to make great SW films. What you can't do is please fandom because the fanbase is super splintered at this point. No matter what you do, somebody will cry foul.

Not me!

You do know that an alt-righter wouldn't call you sexist for not liking the new Ghostbusters?

Can't speak for all of them, but I've never come across one online or off that would ever call anything sexist, unless it's an attack on one of their own. Say something bad about Huckabee Sanders, and that's being sexist.

Guest Robin

Re: Pleasing fans

[luke]...thats impossible![/luke] and I say that as a recovering impossible fan, it is a daily struggle, Ive been clean for probably three minutes.

That said, while I have ideas... and holy shit do I bubble over with them... and the percentage of good ones are probably a lot smaller then Id like... my idea posting sprees usually happen when a film or concept has legit issues or is just plain wtf in general. Its like Im trying to figure out why a film didnt work for me, why they made that decision to do it that way etc. I am totally aware that it can be taken as they did it wrong! and only I know how to fix it! I joke and I know others do that we are essentially rewriting whatever film we are talking about... but, at least I continually hope, that is not my true impulse. I think about that egotistical aspect a lot and it repulses me to think thats me. I dunno. And end stream of consciousness.

BTW: Anyone else have that drama-mask moment when youre watching Star Wars, especially SOLO, and (re)realize?! that the Imperials match America... despite their accents.

BTW: Anyone else have that drama-mask moment when youre watching Star Wars, especially SOLO, and (re)realize?! that the Imperials match America... despite their accents.

Yes. To be fair though, and I mean no offence by this, that shouldn't be particularly shocking. Setting aside complicated geopolitical nuance... No one outside of America has seen America as the "good" guys for a really long time, and if there was ever a country to build it's own death star...

I gave a bit of thought about what I didn't like about the movie, and most of what I came up with was the nitpicky stupid shit.

The Imperial March playing at the recruitment center. I thought it was a neat little inclusion, but it kinda makes John Williams a cover composer lol.

Han talking wookie to Chewie. Once again a cute little bit, but it also means that theoretically Chewie can understand all of our bad wookie impressions.

That ROTJ outfit in Landos wardrobe. So that guy wasn't a Jabba's palace worker that Lando took out and replaced? Jabba's nor Bib Fortuna didn't notice some new guy walking around the palace? Or maybe he applied for the job.

As Kylo Ren put it in his review of Solo, so Han was the spark that lit the fire that burned down the Empire? What a coincidinc.

I was all in for actually seeing the Kessel Run, but what we got was Han avoiding one of Ezra's pets and jumping to lightspeed. Plus he bragged about it afterwards!

No Maz Kanata. I thought that cameo would have made sense.

That had to be a Jedi Holocron on Voss' ship right? Maybe he couldn't use it and found out he really needed Ezra's help.

I really didn't mind this. Myself and immediate family were half the people in the theater. Since it hasn't been a box office smash, I figured I should go see it before it gets taken out of theaters.

I've noticed that these side story movies - Rogue one and now Solo - are actually better than the new trilogy films so far. Better than the prequels too. They seem to be capturing the spirit of classic Star Wars better than everything made since the OT. I wasn't bored once during either Rogue One or Solo and there's very few films these days that I've seen that make me say that. Solo wasn't flawless, but I have no major complaints either.

The only other thing is that it still never really ceases to amaze me how hard it is to truly kill a villain in Star Wars. I never followed EU, and only ever watched Clone Wars or Rebels when I happen to be in the living room and one of my sons has it on. So I'm quite in the dark about what happens off screen except in a vague sense. So seeing Darth Maul again was a bit unexpected, and for that (among other) reason I wonder if we're not being set up for more such films as this that take place away from the main trilogy of trilogies SW story arc. I hope so, actually, because these films, unlike the actual Sequel trilogy, have not disappointed.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't see why it would be confusing. Just cause one guy survived being cut in half does not mean all guys would. To get even further into it, we actually see Snoke dead and motionless. We don't see that from Maul.

Having said that I don't like Maul still being alive. I thought it was stupid when in the cartoons and I think it's stupid now. Nothing to do with Snoke though.

Maybe Snoke was just playing dead. :D

I enjoyed the film, but I just can't understand bringing Maul back. Even if he could survive getting cut in half, how does he survive that fall? And who finds him and decides to give him robot legs? I'm all for some suspension of disbelief, but it gets to a point where it just becomes ridiculous. I agree with the previous posters who said it should have been some other boss.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.