Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The I've Seen Solo Thread (spoilers OBV)

256 replies to this topic

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,846 posts

My 3 cents on the box office performance of Solo is that to Disney, it is irrelevant.  I think Disney/LFL wrote it off as soon as they realized they had to bring in Ron Howard, and budget overages accrued.  It is a spin off-side quest film, after all. Disney sees any profit of these as gravy.   As Tank says, this film at this point was more about  keeping Star Wars in the spot light.  

People thinking this will put an end to the perceived SJW stuff (I am not arguing for or against, and really don't want to participate in that conversation....but this is an issue for some fans), or that Disney\LFL will change anything, or that Kathleen Kennedy will be replaced because of Solo, can dream on.  If anything, that will all be double-downed on.  The fact Solo is sort of flopping and not making as much money as desired is obviously not good, but far from a deal breaker.  And really, the movie as a movie, it is OK.  As a Star Wars film, it is meh, but it is NOT a complete failure or a total turd like many expected.  

Now if Episode 9 under performs, that will be taken more seriously by Disney, but I still doubt it will change much.   

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
Perhaps the best thing would be to film a gnat try to circumvent Shawdowdog's gut in under 12 parsecs and then have Tank tell us all how entertaining it's supposed to be.

Star Pies!

Robin

Robin

zambingo

• Validating
  • 524 posts
QFajC4D3xDFl.jpg
Check out Texs concentration level as he thought up that post.
  • Tank and NumberSix +1 this

ShadowDog

ShadowDog

Supra-Awesome Badass PIE Pimp

• 42,592 posts
LMFAO

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
My mullett was much more curly than that. It was much worse.

I do take exception with the tiny arms.

Not my fault that people are fat. Fried chicken doesn't eat itself.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,677 posts

Perhaps the best thing would be to film a gnat try to circumvent Shawdowdog's gut in under 12 parsecs and then have Tank tell us all how entertaining it's supposed to be.

Star Pies!

Be better.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
Define better.

Pretty sure we have a different definition.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,677 posts
Decide if you're a smart guy who wants to have conversations, or decide if you're a troll that just wants to be a dick. The back and forth is exhausting. Every time I think we have something to talk about, you just turn to a tool. Every time I'm about to write you off as pointless, you say something interesting. It would be funny, if you weren't so cruel when in dick mode and say deplorable ****, like rape jokes, racist jokes, etc.
  • pavonis +1 this

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
Whoa, dude. You clearly have me confused with someone else. I will give you a pause.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,677 posts

Whoa, dude. You clearly have me confused with someone else. I will give you a pause.

I think Megan Markle wore an intellengent dress. I can only hope she doesn't get raped.

I think you're officially my *****.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
I stand by not wanting Megan Markle to get raped. Don't you?

Don't be a ******** ** * about this. Be better.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,677 posts
You're either bipolar, a drunk poster, or two people sharing an account... one of you is cool. The other is a knob.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
You clearly have a problem with people who simply disagree with you.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,677 posts
No I have a problem with meanies.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,996 posts

I have to agree with Tank here big time. Tex is one of the few people on this board that I've ever felt must be an ass in real life. There are probably a couple others but I don't think they post here any more. Tex is the only one left. 

• Filthy Jawa +1 this

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
Facts don't care about your feelings.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,996 posts

You don't hurt my feelings, in fact Im not even sure you've ever acted that way towards me directly. Just saying in general. 

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
Yeah, copy that. Given what modern science can do, I'm still not convinced you aren't in a coma.

pavonis

pavonis

• 6,904 posts
Anyway...

Saw it tonight. Thought it was fun and enjoyed all the Easter eggs. Even my wife, who was about as negative on the whole concept of Solo as a film and A.E. as Han as anyone on this board, thought it was a decent flick. She's still not convinced she watched Han Solo's origin story, even though I've tried to convince her that doing a Ford impression for two hours wasn't going to carry a film. It's a decent film, and everyone ragging on it is taking it too seriously. If they do make a Lando film, I'd watch it. Might be fun as a prelude film, since his Falcon was much nicer.

And, yes, Tex is unpleasant and annoying but at least.....

Zerimar Nyliram

Zerimar Nyliram

Dude

• 3,153 posts

Yeah, I saw if for the second time on Memorial Day with my dad, and he was pleasantly surprised. Tried to get both my parents out but my mom was tired.

DML

DML

• Members
  • 10,830 posts
I personally think they should do a Lando origin film in the style of a 70s blaxploitation flick and let Donald Glover write and direct. Theyll never do it because they have to stay within the SW stylistic framework but Id watch the hell out of it. Imagine a Black Dynamite set in the Star Wars universe. It would be amazing.
  • Tank and Darth Krawlie +1 this

Lord Darth Hunter

Lord Darth Hunter

Sith Lord of Crystal Lake

• 4,434 posts
I actually left the theater wanting to see more because of this:

Yeah, I've got a bit more of a problem with that.  If the movie had any implied purpose at all, it was to illuminate the character of Han.  He really doesn't need it, but it could work.  Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing in this movie that makes me understand Han better as a character.  Heck, it makes me understand him less.

At the very least, set up why Han would be so reluctant to help the Rebels in ANH.  Hate to bring of the novels, but the Han Solo Trilogy did this a lot better.  Han got roped into helping his love interest on a job for the Rebellion and got royally screwed over by them.  The love interest leaves him (to later go off and die helping to steal the Death Star plans), he and his friends don't get the money they were promised because it was going for a higher purpose, and Han's reputation in the smuggling community (including Lando who was among the swindled) was wrecked, forcing him to work for Jabba.

So, Han's justifiably of the mind of "Screw these Rebels and their high-minded hypocritical bull****" when dealing with Leia.

Say what you will about the book's quality.  That synopsis alone does a much better job of setting Han up for ANH than Han happily helping Rebels before and it turning out just peachy.  I mean, he lost his ex-girlfriend, but he barely even reacted to that.  He didn't get the money, but it was because he's just that nice of a guy and donated it.  It didn't even take much persuading and it's not like there was doom happening if he didn't help these people.  Han is just an altruistic person.

How do you square that with the Han that happily took his reward money from the Rebels in ANH and was all prepared to leave even though the stakes were a crapload higher?  This movie brings up more questions than it does answers, because the Han at the end of Solo would have gone all-in in helping the Rebellion without much prompting.  Some girl takes off her helmet, gives a very broad sob story, and he's in.  Let's just take down a crime syndicate.  He showed more reluctance to help in TFA for goodness sake.

Throughout the movie he's the smiling, happy go-lucky dude who is a little too eager to join a crew. Complete opposite of the Han we met in ANH. Knowing that Alden has signed on for more films, reading the rumors that there is a possible Fett movie in the works and seeing Maul's cameo all make me think, there has to be a follow up to this film right? Why have Maul appear if it's not going to be followed up? And I don't mean in books and comics either. Solo works as a starting point for a trilogy or at least a sequel. If they leave it as is (a true standalone) with nothing else from these characters and the actors who played them, then as time goes in it will feel like a waste of a film.

Poe Dameron

Poe Dameron

• 2,485 posts
Throughout the movie he's the smiling, happy go-lucky dude who is a little too eager to join a crew. Complete opposite of the Han we met in ANH.

The funny thing is they pat themselves on the back for having Han shoot first as a wink to the fans that have been complaining that Lucas nerfed Han in the Special Edition.  But this movie's portrayal of Han nerfs him like a thousand times more than one ill-considered alteration.

Here's hoping we do get to see that story of how Han became a confirmed cynic, because we do need it.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,846 posts

Not to mention the irony that Han kills his father figure, and is killed by his own son, years later. 

• Filthy Jawa +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,846 posts

I personally think they should do a Lando origin film in the style of a 70s blaxploitation flick and let Donald Glover write and direct. Theyll never do it because they have to stay within the SW stylistic framework but Id watch the hell out of it. Imagine a Black Dynamite set in the Star Wars universe. It would be amazing.

If anything, I think LFL needs to get serious about understanding what the MCU is doing right, hire some MCU folks if possible, and emulate it.   I am not saying Solo was trash like TLJ was, but it was definitely a forgettable, by-the-numbers, check off the Easter Eggs, predictable, safe movie with sub par leads.  I wasn't impressed with Glover's Lando (passable, not bad, just think he is WAYYY over rated), and I thought AE was horrible as Han Solo.  Daenerys Targaryen is proving to be one of the most bland actresses out there.

Pretty sad when Guardians of the Galaxy 1&2 manages to out Star Wars the last 2 actual Star Wars films, IMHO. 

One last thought, this is the finished product AFTER Ron Howard took over.   It must have been a real dumpster full of burning cat sh*t before!

Reply to this topic