The I've Seen Solo Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

I didn't hate it when I saw it, but I also got why people didn't go see it. It basically made every tiny one-liner, aside, or hint to Solo's past and made it into a narrative that basically spanned a few days. I didn't love that.

But, watching it again, I think, much like TLJ, is visually amazing, and has a lot of great bits. And if you can get over being an aggro SW nerd (self included), it's a lot of fun.

One thing that stood out to me both times, that I love this movie for, is that it gives us the Chewbacca that was always being presented to us-- more or less in the same way Vader was used in Rogue One.

We always hear that Chewie is a crazy-strong beast, and his few bits of action in the OT were carefully framed and cut to hide the fact that Peter Mayhew, outside of being tall, was not that physically adept. I loved in TFA that they got a body double, and seeing Chewie climb ladders and move around was great.

Solo tripled down on that-- Chewie was a running, jumping, climbing, body slamming, arm-ripping, drop-kicking, Stormtrooper-eating beast. I really loved that and it would have been so much fun to have seen this Chewie in the OT.

Yeah, like I said, it's S-canon in my head (secondary canon, which is has bits of truth and can be overridden). I know that I was speaking with someone on the previous page about this, who asked me which bits I think are and aren't true. To the best of my knowledge, here is how I reckon it:

Han and Chewie did not meet in the way depicted in the film, although it is true that Han served on Mimban briefly. Neither did Han's and Lando's meeting occur as it did on-screen.

Solo is Han's birth name.

Since we know most of Han's previous flames, and know that he was only serious about one girl prior to meeting Leia, we can assume that Qi'ra was probably just a friend of Han's, they were not that close and certainly not romantic, or if they were, it was fleeting.

L3-37 does not exist, although it may be true that either Han or Lando acquired a protocol droid's brain and incorporated it into the Falcon. That tale has not been told.

The Sabacc game where Han won the Falcon from Lando occurred on Bespin, not on that planet depicted in the film.

The Kessel Run is pretty close, although the Maw contains three black holes, not just one.

Darth Maul could still be the head of that criminal organization (I can't recall the name at the moment), Qi'ra may be involved, and that main villain (I also cannot recall his name) may also exist.

Han's mentor (man, I am really sucking at this tonight) is sort of based on a "real" person whom Han knew: Garus Shrike.

So yeah, in my opinion, the film is an in-universe holodrama filmed with some actors to honor Han Solo, but takes many liberties, as I explained on the previous page.

My six year old loves Star Wars. As six year olds do sometimes they are thinking about stuff in random situations. We were grocery shopping the other day and out of the blue, from the back of our car comes my six year olds voice. He exclaimed, Why didnt the Han Solo movie have Han Solo in it?

This could have been in the other thread about remaking the OT but it fits here I'd say based on Zerimars post. People need to realize Star Wars has changed. It used to essentially be a story. First in the OT era it was Luke's story, then with the PT it was Luke and Anakin's. But it was basically a story. It' not that anymore. It's a legend.

Think, if you were in ancient Greece and came across some story teller who was telling stories of the gods with Hercules, Zeus and all of those guys. Then say a month later you come across another story teller also telling stories of the gods. You wouldn't expect those stories to match up perfectly. You'd probably expect some consistency. You'd think Zeus would still be god of thunder but you definitely wouldn't expect the 2 stories to match up perfect.

That's what Star Wars is now. It doesn't have to match up perfect. The movies are written out of order, over the course of more than 4 decades by several different people. It would be nearly impossible for it to all match up.

This could have been in the other thread about remaking the OT but it fits here I'd say based on Zerimars post. People need to realize Star Wars has changed. It used to essentially be a story. First in the OT era it was Luke's story, then with the PT it was Luke and Anakin's. But it was basically a story. It' not that anymore. It's a legend.

Think, if you were in ancient Greece and came across some story teller who was telling stories of the gods with Hercules, Zeus and all of those guys. Then say a month later you come across another story teller also telling stories of the gods. You wouldn't expect those stories to match up perfectly. You'd probably expect some consistency. You'd think Zeus would still be god of thunder but you definitely wouldn't expect the 2 stories to match up perfect.

That's what Star Wars is now. It doesn't have to match up perfect. The movies are written out of order, over the course of more than 4 decades by several different people. It would be nearly impossible for it to all match up.

I've been saying this for years about horror films, which was the first genre to really delve into sequels and remakes. I's say it's true for Star Wars, save for one thing.

For a long time Star Wars was one of the only entertainment IPs that occupied a space of not only crazy nostalgia and pop culture significance, but also that it was an event.

With only three films for the first part of it's life, when thr PT came, as well as TFA, it was a unique and special event.

I've been saying this for years about horror films, which was the first genre to really delve into sequels and remakes. I's say it's true for Star Wars, save for one thing.

For a long time Star Wars was one of the only entertainment IPs that occupied a space of not only crazy nostalgia and pop culture significance, but also that it was an event.

With only three films for the first part of it's life, when thr PT came, as well as TFA, it was a unique and special event.

I have cousins all over the country, when I see them it's special. I'd rather they lived close and I could see them often.

I just don't know if that point really has much to do with what I was saying and with what you evidently agree with. I guess it's all a matter of degree. Maybe one person wants a Star Wars movie every 3 years with huge gaps in there too to create a sense of excitement. Personally I don't think a movie a year is too much at all but then again I wouldn't want 12 a year or something, so as I said it's only a matter of degree I suppose.

I think people almost look at it somewhat like a sports team, they want Star Wars to "win". They want it to be the biggest deal when one comes out, not for themselves always but in general. I just can't wrap my mind around that. I really wouldn't care if Star Wars became a smaller thing with the general public, as long as I enjoyed the movies. What do I care if Disney makes 2 billion on a movie or 300 mil? Don't affect me, don't affect anyone.

Finally got around to watching this last night. And I agree with this.

I agree with Tank on Chewie. The best scenes of Solo had Chewie in them.

But I also think that Donald Glover made a damn good Lando, and his scenes were a VERY close second. And I'd be willing to see more of him and Chewie. No Han.

I can get on board with the legend thing (I assume no pun was intended), but it is perfectly fine to prefer one version of a legend over another. For me personally, I prefer the one that had a single, mostly coherent storyline centered around the six films of George Lucas but encompassing more way materials. That's not to say that the new "legend" (the Disney canon) is any less Star Wars than the one I like, it's just one I'm not particularly fond of or interested in.

Now, I don't mind certain aspects of that other "legend," which is why I cherry pick certain materials that can fit into my "legend." But as I said, this is just the way I personally choose to interpret the Star Wars mythos, not an assertion that my was is right and all others are wrong.

But Star Wars was based on mythic storytelling. Myths bu their nature cane from exactly what Choc described- bards going village to village.

King Arthur is a great example. For a hundred years there were variations of the story. It was until Mallory tried to make them all into one cohesive narrative did the more modern traditions begin. And it continues to this day, there's countless versions of King Arthur across multiple media.

That's kind if how you have to view Star Wars. It's impossible to have something that big and have oerfect continuity. It's mythic stories.

I think it odd you have to make up your own story anout how Solo is a movie about Solo in your own version of the SWU.

How many times have you played through Mass Effect? A bunch I bet. At the very end of the credits of ME3 you kid the kid asking their grandfather for another story about "the Shepard." That sets up replays with the idea that every version you play is a slightly different version of a legendary story.

I get you, but like I said, I choose a path within that legend that I like.

I'll give you a comparison: I never got into the Arthurian legend, but I am heavily into Greek mythology. It has conflicting stories, yet even there I have my own preferred narrative that I will reconcile through apologetics. For example, there are the two conflicting birth narratives of Aphrodite: one where she emerges from a seashell produced from the blood of Ouranos' dismembered genitals, and another where she is the daughter of Zeus and Dione. I prefer the former story in my canon, yet when I read the Iliad, where she is portrayed as the latter, I reason that she is the adoptive daughter of Zeus, that she considers Dione a mother because of how close they are, and that stories about her parentage developed from misunderstandings originating from this dynamic. Even when I play God of War, I have a plethora of apologetics in mind to reconcile it with actual Greek myth where it seems to change things.

I do this because I find an element of fun in being a chronicler, which is why I have Solo as a movie within a movie. I think that's what you're not understanding, because it is an interest you and most people do not share. That's perfectly fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I just rewatched it and I actually super liked it. It has some quirky parts like the first run through of season one opening episode of a comedy show where everyone's not quite cemented in and found their rhythm but it had the right amount of Ron Howard character moments and action.

Chewy is still my ALL TIME FAVORITE.

I liked solo too. Cute little Star Wars movie that had nothing to do with the Jedi and the force, didnt try to be epic; it just tried to be above average.

Comparing the box office success/failure to my personal opinion, Id say Solo is the most underrated Star Wars movie where Rogue One might be the most overrated.

Also: i thought most of solo was good, except the last 2 minutes with Maul which was really dumb; where I thought most of Rogue One was a bit boring except the last 2 minutes with Vader which was really cool. In either case a Sith did it.

All they need to do is cast a right after ROTJ age range Leia then they can get Sebastian Stan for Luke and do a film or films that bridges the OT to the ST. Use Alden and Glover too obv. The draw of having more Luke and Han and Leia for some people could compensate against the people that would resist such a thing, so all theyd need to do is have a film that recaptures the feeling as much as The Force Awakens did. Which is oh sure, easy, sure. No problem. lol But i think it would be worth a shot. Besides the franchise is basically live action EU novels at this point and not just the story of Anakins redemption so.

I'd rather not see any post-ROTJ adventures.

I guess it's different styles - to me it's like how people decorate the walls in their house. Some people put up a few pictures, a mirror, maybe a few objets, and they know that the blank wall that remains is important, so the spacing and the placement of the pieces are given careful consideration when they hang them.

Other people are insane loons and try to fill every square inch of wall with whatever crap catches their eye. You know, both are good.

That said, If there was going to be anything like that, I'd rather see stories that fill in the times between IV and V or V and VI. The problem is one leaves out Lando and the other leaves out Han.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.