The I've Seen Solo Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

Guest Robin

Yeah Darth Maul coming back to life is why I never watched the cartoon. If you're not gonna take yourself seriously then neither will I. The movies backing this up is retarded.

I feel that. But at the same time, I feel like it is just one of a thousand silly or fantastical things in the franchise.

I watched Peter Pan (2003) with my young boys recently. My second youngest said, How are they surviving in space with no spacesuits? I said, I dunno. Thats pretty cool that he can though huh? He replied, Yeah. And away he went to Neverland with them.

Its all about suspension of disbelief. If you bring someone back from the dead plausibly it can work. If you chop a guy in half and turn him into a crab person it becomes ridiculous.

The mob boss should have been Ventress.

I still say it would have been best if they'd gone with Xizor. Crimson Dawn has a similar naming convention as Black Sun, so they could have folded the two into each other with no problems too. Of course, they wouldn't have put so much emphasis on the reveal if it was Xizor, but I don't think Maul's reveal was all that wise either.

Or do something where they reveal a beautiful blonde in the background to be Guri.

I don't think they were handled particularly well in the EU, but Xizor and Guri are both pretty interesting characters with a lot more potential than Maul.

I'd prefer that too. Maul being so recognizable, yet appearing in a way that confuses most of the audience was ridiculous and basically put the movie on pause for a cheap ploy. I much preferred the subtle EU references like Aurra Sing and the Lando Calrissian Adventures. Then, if they wanted to do some more with them later, they could have some fun now that they've been introduced and people have researched the background.

The internet gets people up to speed pretty quickly. How many MCU "End credit scene explained" articles and videos have there been over the years? It's not like Thanos was a household name six years ago.

Not that it matters, they're just more interesting characters that wouldn't have taken the audience out of the movie. If they wanted to use them in a future film, introducing them here would have at least made audiences aware.

Maybe you are right, we arent arguing really. I don't like Maul back either, I think its dumb. I just think they were going for someone that all fans who instantly recognize. But really almost anyone would have been better, Jabba or Fett or whoever.

• 2 months later...

I don't mean to bring up my thoughts on canonicity again, but I'm really starting to reevaluate whether or not Solo could fit within the EU despite my earlier position. Joe Bongiorno's apologies make a lot of sense when reconciling the narrative, but some of them are quite the stretch, especially with the game when Han wins the Falcon from Lando not taking place on Bespin. I will consider it canon for now, but I'm thinking that may change in the future. I haven't read the novelization, but I have a sneaking feeling it will prove even more problematic and nullify Joe's retcons.

Still, I enjoyed the film. The question is just where the Blu-Ray will be placed on my shelves, whether it's among the timeline proper on in the Infinities (non-canon) section. I guess I could view it as an in-universe holo-drama that contains bits and pieces of the truth, much like I do with The Clone Wars.

I know it sounds like my fandom is tedious and I can't enjoy things, but you couldn't be more wrong. You have no idea just how much fun being a chronicler is!

I'll have to consult the Daley and Crispin books, but I'm pretty sure it happened on Bespin albeit before Lando became the governor or whatever. Han probably didn't realize that Lando stayed there.

I bought the Blu-Ray and have watched it again. I do enjoy this film, and have decided that it is S-canon, meaning that it gets some things right but takes many creative liberties, as historical fiction is wont to do. I say it is a holodrama produced some time after the events of Crucible (the last novel in the EU timeline), probably once Han dies as a way to honor him (he's still alive as of Crucible). One day I will go over the details of what portions are canon, what portions are changed a bit or combined with other events and persons, and which portions are pure (in-universe) fiction. This could be fun!

Haven't watched any of the extras yet, but I'm glad it has so much additional content. I was very disappointed with the Rogue One Blu-Ray. It's good to see they gave us more this time.

I'll have to consult the Daley and Crispin books, but I'm pretty sure it happened on Bespin albeit before Lando became the governor or whatever. Han probably didn't realize that Lando stayed there.

Makes sense - been a loooooong time since I read those books so really have no recollection.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to seeing it. It seemed uneven, and I thought the lead actor didn't have the charisma to pull off the character. Donald Glover was the main bright spot, and the Maul thing was stupid and seemed designed to confuse audiences. Bringing Maul back wasn't the worst thing from the cartoons, but it's close.

Not to be pedantic, but I would say it was designed to lure audiences into the new EU (the cartoons and shit). It had the effect of confusing audiences.

Honestly, if I hadn't watched The Clone Wars, I would have just thought it was some mobster who happened to be the same alien race as Darth Maul.

• 2 months later...

Really liked it. I forced myself to not think this was Han because I read this thread before I saw it. I saw it as just a guy doing something to get a girl. It worked. It was a good movie and I liked the fun in it. It was more cheeky than Rogue 1 with some fun stuff and seeing Chewy was awesome. Still trying to work out the time lines and stuff. That part threw me a bit when I come back to think about it.

I rated it pretty lowly for a few reasons:

1) Fair or not, the new guy isn't Harrison Ford, and doesn't have the charisma. IIt would be like trying to do a prequel to Casablanca, I'm not going to enjoy someone else playing Rick.

2) It was too clean and shiny. It looked like they took new stuff and spread some dirt to make it look dirty and lived-in. I think that a big part of that was the CGI.

3) Most important, I just straight up found it boring. I wish that I could see Miller and Lord's version, because I think they hired Howard to come in and make a safe, by-the-books sci-fi film. But you'd also have to go back to 2008 for the last Ron Howard film I really liked.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.