The I've Seen Solo Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

Disagree. SW films just seem tired. TFA was criticized for being a clone of ANH, and TLJ was criticized for being too different. And now the Solo mess.

I just think they’ve run out of ideas. They can’t stick with the formula and they can’t try anything new. That doesn’t give them a lot of options.

And I'm not saying anyone is necessarily wrong. Maybe they will run out of steam. Maybe the mixed reaction to TLJ and then the box office failure of Solo is the beginning of an end. Who knows. I'm just saying it doesn't have to be. It's entirely too early to tell. I've said before Lucasfilm needs to create points of difference within Star Wars. The reason Marvel can release 19 movies in 10 years is because they aren't on Iron Man 19. Each hero has their own franchise within a franchise. That's what has to happen with Star Wars.

I hear you, but I doubt SW can do it. The reason why Marvel works so well is because you have so many characters with different powers. In SW you have force users and non force users with guns.

What SW needs to do is build characters. I think they’ve missed the mark with most of the new cast. More specifically they need a new Darth Vader. Lacking a solid villain has been a major problem.

Well I mean Vader is Vader, that's like the Giants saying "hey we need a LBer, we need another Lawrence Taylor". Thing about Vader though is that through 2 movies he was just pure villain. He didnt have much character. He was just a bad guy who had killed Luke's father, then killed Obi Wan, and now was trying to get Luke. Obviously the end of Empire changes all that but for 2/3 of the trilogy he is just a bad ass bad guy.

Kylo is still a bit torn, or at least was. In a way I think he is more interesting than Vader.

Even though I couldn't care less about what direction these movies go in, for good or for ill, if I could offer the powers that be one piece of advice it would be this: LucasFilm must take a hiatus from Star Wars after 2020 (if not sooner), for about five years. They are clearly burning themselves out.

Now, I know that if Mara were here she'd say, "No, give me more Star Wars all the time!" Well, as I predicted, that mentality is ruining the product. I think most fans would prefer quality over quantity. As an EU fan, I most certainly can empathize with that. There were many times that Dark Horse Comics--especially toward the end--were producing Star Wars comics just for the sake of producing them, without much thought. The end result was what you might expect.

When a giant, sparkly, golden dollar sign takes occupies the space where your heart used to be, things go down the tubes fast.

Mara didn't like Solo and like you, says she prefers SW to be read not seen.

For me, simply put, there was a time when Star Wars was a simple thing, for a specific group of people. It became too many things for too many people with too many viewpoints.

Well I mean Vader is Vader, that's like the Giants saying "hey we need a LBer, we need another Lawrence Taylor". Thing about Vader though is that through 2 movies he was just pure villain. He didnt have much character. He was just a bad guy who had killed Luke's father, then killed Obi Wan, and now was trying to get Luke. Obviously the end of Empire changes all that but for 2/3 of the trilogy he is just a bad ass bad guy.

Kylo is still a bit torn, or at least was. In a way I think he is more interesting than Vader.

If you give a bad guy too many layers they become too sympathetic. Darth Vader worked so well because he was both ominous and mysterious.

Take Hannibal Lecter. He was so great in a similar capacity in Silence, but when they put the spotlight on him in Hannibal he became cliche and forgettable.

Eventhough I love the ST there are problems, Kylo Ren is not one of them.

I totally disagree with you about him needing a face turn, in fact I think he needs to go deeper and more evil. I knew after watching TFA he'd kill Snoke and take his place. I was 100% certain of it. Not saying that in a bragging way, Im wrong about plenty. This is not his turn to the darkside, nor is it him at the peak of his evilness. This is the final fall, where he comes from evil to irredeemably evil.

In fact I;d like to see him in IX show a glimmer of hope, a real chance to turn back, and he blows it. Instead of taking that opportunity he instead goes even deeper into the darkness and we as an audience think "you idiot, you coulda had it all but you blew it". Then in X, released a good time later, he is that pure evil just total monster.

LOL! Just thought I would share this. I am sitting in the airport waiting for my flight home. A group of people of various ages are talking about Solo in the chairs behind me. And they are confused as eff. They cannnot figure out where Solo goes in the timeline. Conversation went something like this:

I thought it is supposed to be young Han, but Darth Maul comes out. And Maul was killed by a young Obi Wan. So how old is Han supposed to be then? He's not older than Obi Wan is he? I think it looked liked Maul but it was a ruse. It was really that Darth Sidious guy.

And that was what they concluded with. It must have been Sidious.

Again, further proof that you can’t put a Star Wars logo on a turd and expect people to eat it.

Everyone loved Darth Maul, but he is dead. He was chopped in half. Might be the worst case of seeing someone chopped in half I’ve ever seen. And I Walk Hard.

Next up will be a story about how Boba Fett climbed out of the Sarlacc pit. They really are that desperate.

Again, further proof that you can’t put a Star Wars logo on a turd and expect people to eat it.

You're not supposed to eat turds, Tex. Didn't anyone ever explain that to you?

Anyway, didn't Fett climb out of the sarlaac pit in the EU? It's been done. A Fett movie would likely be set between ROTS and ESB, not post-ROTJ.

You're not supposed to eat turds, Tex. Didn't anyone ever explain that to you?

Anyway, didn't Fett climb out of the sarlaac pit in the EU? It's been done. A Fett movie would likely be set between ROTS and ESB, not post-ROTJ.

And, btw, who is the troll here? I can't make a single post without you trying to insult me. Knock yourself out. I haven't said one thing bad about you. You strike me as a good gal.

I'm not trying to insult you, pal. It just happens. You make it too easy, it's practically effortless. I mean, you said turds are for eating. That's really weird. Is that a saying in your neck of the woods?

Anyway - if Fett does get a movie, it would be fun to see more of the interior of Slave I. I wonder if it ever had a wet bar the way the Falcon did.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.