The I've Seen Solo Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

I don't know why it's underperforming. I'm not sure there's any one reason. I'm not sure Disney/LFL really cares. If they're intent on releasing a film every year, they can't all be megablockbusters.

Random thought: What if Maul had been replaced by Snoke? Maybe he rose to power as a crime boss before taking over the First Order.

Guest Robin

Well, that seems plausible... I mean, I dont think studios usually fire director(s) and almost completely refilm a movie that had nothing wrong with it.

For a movie I had little interest in, i actually liked it. In fact, I would be more interested in a Solo sequel than I am for episode 9. I kind of feel bad it's tanking at the BO.

The good:

Glover as Lando was amazing, as was Chewie. AE as Han exceeded expectations. He had good chemistry with the rest of the cast. The Cornelia stuff in the beginning was probably most interesting to me. Most of the fan service and references didn't feel forced. It was the kind of SW movie I've been waiting to see: a fun little movie that just takes place in parts of the unexplored SW universe, and (mostly) separate from the empire vs rebellion/Jedi vs sith stuff we've seen a million times. Polishes up the OT a bit: parsecs=distance, communicating with the falcon, Han's name pronounciation inconsistencies, etc. HAN SHOOTS FIRST

The Bad:

It dragged a bit in the middle. Felt a bit choppy throughout. Predictability (unavoidable). Lando's sex robot. The kessel heist free the droid slaves sequence. The "good guy" criminals. Didn't need to learn absolutely every thing about Han from OT. I hate the idea of Maul returning to the big screen post TPM.

I think it is because I had no expectations for this movie, but I really enjoyed it. I don't think it's better than Rogue One, though it's still a. Very enjoyable movie. I would have geeked out over the Maul cameo if I hadn't known about it going in. Also it's been a while since I've seen a Ron Howard movie, but I remembered it was when Clint Howard makes his cameo. Loved it.

To be honest, while I did think Maul's resurrection in The Clone Wars was stupid and unnecessary, I think I'm starting to change my mind chiefly because he was such an undeveloped and disappointing character in The Phantom Menace. While I ordinarily agree that bringing back characters just because they're "just that bad-ass" is incredibly asinine, in Maul's case I don't think it matters. In fact, it may actually help. Maul could become the villain he was meant to be from the start.

This coming from someone who despises almost everything Disney and Kennedy are doing with the franchise.

Oh, I forgot to mention a big one. It vexes me that they altered Han rescuing Chewie. Instead of being what gets him kicked out of the Imperial Navy, it's just another coincidence.

I forgot you had mentioned this. I agree that the rescue of Chewie was disappointing as presented. Han didn't really rescue Chewbacca. He used him to get himself out of the prison hole. I know some people will say, that's Han for you, just thinking of himself. But that then begs the question Poe brought up of why would Chewie become so loyal to Han just based on that? I always figured Chewie's loyalty sprung from Han somehow having risked his own life and career to save him. But as we saw, Han didn't rescue Chewie; Chewbacca was the one who in fact helped Han get out. Then they lucked out that the mercenaries decided to pick them up and got them off the planet.

It doesn't bother you that they brought back a character who should very extremely dead?

They brought Maul back six years ago. So I'm not in the he should still be dead camp. Now I have been in the camp keeping the animated universe separate from the film's. If Lucasfilm are going to tell me that they want to try to bring that stuff to the big screen then show me.

I think one of the problems that SW has is that you can’t reboot it. You can introduce a new cast, but you can’t reboot the old one. Marvel doesn’t have that problem.

You can reboot Spider-Man twice in a ten year span and he’s still Spider-Man . SW can’t do that. Rey is no Luke, new Solo is no Han Solo, and, most importantly, Kyle Ren is no Darth Vader.

To be fair TLJ drop from TFA was basically right in line with the drops from Star Wars to Empire and Phantom Menace to Clones. At least domestically.

TLJ made 66% of TFA gross, Empire has made 63% of Star Wars gross, Clones made 65% of TPM gross.

Out of the 4 Disney movies, Solo is the only one that can be called a disappointment at the box office. To be fair it's a pretty big disappointment I'd say.

Having said all that your original point is 100% accurate. The admiration for the OT both gives new movies a huge platform to build off of, it also casts a huge shadow over them.

Well without too much research Box Office Mojo has

Star Wars original release 307 mil

Empire original release 209 mil

Which puts Empire at 68% of Star Wars box office. Which is slightly higher than their overall takes but still basically right in line with the drop off of TLJ and AOTC.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.