The I've Seen Solo Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

Guest Robin

As for this Han becoming a cynic, he was already on that road from the start of the film. Han held onto hope during the plot because of his love for Not-Leia. As the film unfolds hes cheated by Lando and betrayed twice; once by Woody and lastly by Not-Leia. Technically Han was betrayed three times if we include Lando flying off with the Falcon. In fairness, Han might not realize that Not-Leia has betrayed him or he is hoping she hasnt as he watched her fly away... but give it a moment. Once that Not-Leia fixation is dead, Han would be the cynic in ANH.

I don't think TLJ had anything to do with Solo's performance - there are as many people who thought it was great as there was who thought it was trash. It's been pretty divided in terms of how people see the film. But the general public who go see Star Wars aren't going to boycott because they were disappointed by the last film - if that was the case then no one would have seen Episode II or III at all, as unlike TLJ that was pretty much universally panned.

I think it's the volume of movies we're getting and more importantly the timing - traditionally Star Wars might come out in May but since TFA opened in December I think that's been the preferred release time for a Star Wars movie. 6 months after the last film, and as you said, a film that no one really asked for, I think were the bigger problems.

I mean... I haven't seen it yet. And I probably won't at the cinema. I just don't feel compelled to in the least. Will probably watch when it comes digital though.

And that's from a guy who saw TPM 3 times in the cinema despite not liking it as a film.

For as many fans like Choc who will see everything, there will be just as many like me who aren't bothered to see Solo at all. And the reception it's got hasn't done anything to persuade me.

Nearly all of my friends saw TLJ and liked it (most of them more than I did), but only one of them has seen Solo so far (they liked it). I think the rest of them would like it too, but they're obviously not interested enough.

(the last thing I want to SW to do is ape the MCU. **** that ****.)

For me I am wondering if it was the fact TLJ and Solo were so close together. I mean Solo was good but I have no desire to see it again and I felt no excitement for it prior to release. I think it would have benefitted to have Solo release during the holidays like all the other Star Wars movies of late.

Using Marvel as an example...I am so burned out on Marvel movies. I have yet to watch Thor Ragnarok, Black Panther or the new Avengers movie.

Is film watching starting to feel like a chore?

I haven't seen a non Star Wars movie in the theater since Civil War. Movies come out on home media so quickly and the home viewing experience is so good now that I have to be really, really motivated to go to a theater.

The film industry is feeling the same same effects as the sports industry. Pro sports leagues are making more money now than they've ever been before. Yet less and less people feel the need to go see a live sporting event. With the giant TV screen HD technology that exists now for home consumption, the benefits of seeing a game/film in the comfort of your home far outweigh the costs of going to see it live.

I mean... I haven't seen it yet. And I probably won't at the cinema. I just don't feel compelled to in the least. Will probably watch when it comes digital though.

And that's from a guy who saw TPM 3 times in the cinema despite not liking it as a film.

For as many fans like Choc who will see everything, there will be just as many like me who aren't bothered to see Solo at all. And the reception it's got hasn't done anything to persuade me.

I'll see everything as long as I like the movies. I'm a pretty big Tolkien fan, loved the LOTR movies. I saw the first Hobbit movie and didn't like it. More than that I didn't like the whole idea of adapting the Hobbit and adding in a whole bunch of stuff that wasn't even in the Hobbit. Combine those 2 things together and I figured I wouldn't like the 2nd and 3rd Hobbit movies. So I've never seen them. Not out of any kind of protest or anything, I just didn't think I'd enjoy them.

Star Wars hasn't done that for me. Obviously I like some of the movies more than others but I don't dislike any of them.

What you are saying makes perfect sense to me. You aren't enamored with some of the previous movies and/or this newest one just didn't make you want to see it. So you didn't see it. Makes total sense.

What I don't get is the people who haven't liked a Star Wars movie since 1980 and yet still go see every new one opening weekend. That makes no sense to me. Life is too short to go waste your time on movies you probably won't like at this point. And its way way too short to do that and then spend time online complaining about those movies.

A friend of mine who watches these movies just for enjoyment but does not consume SW any other way, i.e. participate in forums like this, read books or watch animated series, asked me if Maul appearing in Solo was done to show Snoke will still be alive in Episode IX. I was like, huh? His reasoning was that if Maul was cut in half in TPM but is still alive here, why wouldn't Snoke have survived getting similarly sliced too, especially since he was shown to be much more powerful than Maul? At first I thought, that's ridiculous. But then I realized I couldn't blame him. Adding cameos like that will be confusing as hell to non-uber fans.

I don't see why it would be confusing. Just cause one guy survived being cut in half does not mean all guys would. To get even further into it, we actually see Snoke dead and motionless. We don't see that from Maul.

Having said that I don't like Maul still being alive. I thought it was stupid when in the cartoons and I think it's stupid now. Nothing to do with Snoke though.

The Choc, in this current state of movies where everything is seemingly a "shared universe" I can see why my friend would try to connect the dots. Just to show you where he's coming from, back when the trailers for Rogue One aired with glimpses of Vader, this same person thought R1 was a follow up to TFA and assumed those shots of Vader were Kylo Ren. He thought Kylo had somehow acquired or built his own Vader mask. I had to explain to him where R1 fit in the SW timeline. Heck, even when I tell him there won't be any, he sits through the credits waiting to see if there are any post-credits scenes. Such is the conditioning of today's audience to mainstream Hollywood tentpoles.

By the way...

To get even further into it, we actually see Snoke dead and motionless. We don't see that from Maul.

Maul was more powerful than Snoke then? ;-)

Actually, there was a guy who lived out where I used to live who did not have a bottom half, meaning no genitals or rectum, and he walked around on his hands. I believe he took care of it through a bag.

I'm sure Maul's robotic bottom half had a more sophisticated expulsion excretion system, possibly not unlike Vader's.

Granting that Maul, or any Zabrak, could survive being bisected at the waist, who rescued him? Did he crawl to a medical center on his own? How'd he get off Naboo?

Not that I care too much. It's just an odd creative choice. Why choose Maul over any other big bad?

When it comes to the slow box office, I agree that Disney shot themselves in the foot.

They never should have expected this to be a blockbuster, as it's largely a meaningless but fun romp and has no large implications for the canon. Something in line with the lower-tier Marvel films like Ant-man or Doctor Strange is what should have been more realistic.

Also, it should have never been released in May. Not only are people overexposed to Star Wars, geeky audiences just got emotionally exhausted from Infinity War. They would have gotten far more bang for their buck if they released it in August and positioned it like Guardians of the Galaxy was back in 2014.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.