The I've Seen Solo Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

Perhaps the best thing would be to film a gnat try to circumvent Shawdowdog's gut in under 12 parsecs and then have Tank tell us all how entertaining it's supposed to be.

Star Pies!

Perhaps the best thing would be to film a gnat try to circumvent Shawdowdog's gut in under 12 parsecs and then have Tank tell us all how entertaining it's supposed to be.

Star Pies!

Be better.

Decide if you're a smart guy who wants to have conversations, or decide if you're a troll that just wants to be a dick. The back and forth is exhausting. Every time I think we have something to talk about, you just turn to a tool. Every time I'm about to write you off as pointless, you say something interesting. It would be funny, if you weren't so cruel when in dick mode and say deplorable shit, like rape jokes, racist jokes, etc.

Whoa, dude. You clearly have me confused with someone else. I will give you a pause.

I think Megan Markle wore an intellengent dress. I can only hope she doesn't get raped.

I think you're officially my *****.

I have to agree with Tank here big time. Tex is one of the few people on this board that I've ever felt must be an ass in real life. There are probably a couple others but I don't think they post here any more. Tex is the only one left.

Anyway...

Saw it tonight. Thought it was fun and enjoyed all the Easter eggs. Even my wife, who was about as negative on the whole concept of Solo as a film and A.E. as Han as anyone on this board, thought it was a decent flick. She's still not convinced she watched Han Solo's origin story, even though I've tried to convince her that doing a Ford impression for two hours wasn't going to carry a film. It's a decent film, and everyone ragging on it is taking it too seriously. If they do make a Lando film, I'd watch it. Might be fun as a prelude film, since his Falcon was much nicer.

And, yes, Tex is unpleasant and annoying but at least.....

I personally think they should do a Lando origin film in the style of a 70s blaxploitation flick and let Donald Glover write and direct. Theyll never do it because they have to stay within the SW stylistic framework but Id watch the hell out of it. Imagine a Black Dynamite set in the Star Wars universe. It would be amazing.

I actually left the theater wanting to see more because of this:

Yeah, I've got a bit more of a problem with that. If the movie had any implied purpose at all, it was to illuminate the character of Han. He really doesn't need it, but it could work. Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing in this movie that makes me understand Han better as a character. Heck, it makes me understand him less.

At the very least, set up why Han would be so reluctant to help the Rebels in ANH. Hate to bring of the novels, but the Han Solo Trilogy did this a lot better. Han got roped into helping his love interest on a job for the Rebellion and got royally screwed over by them. The love interest leaves him (to later go off and die helping to steal the Death Star plans), he and his friends don't get the money they were promised because it was going for a higher purpose, and Han's reputation in the smuggling community (including Lando who was among the swindled) was wrecked, forcing him to work for Jabba.

So, Han's justifiably of the mind of "Screw these Rebels and their high-minded hypocritical bull****" when dealing with Leia.

Say what you will about the book's quality. That synopsis alone does a much better job of setting Han up for ANH than Han happily helping Rebels before and it turning out just peachy. I mean, he lost his ex-girlfriend, but he barely even reacted to that. He didn't get the money, but it was because he's just that nice of a guy and donated it. It didn't even take much persuading and it's not like there was doom happening if he didn't help these people. Han is just an altruistic person.

How do you square that with the Han that happily took his reward money from the Rebels in ANH and was all prepared to leave even though the stakes were a crapload higher? This movie brings up more questions than it does answers, because the Han at the end of Solo would have gone all-in in helping the Rebellion without much prompting. Some girl takes off her helmet, gives a very broad sob story, and he's in. Let's just take down a crime syndicate. He showed more reluctance to help in TFA for goodness sake.

Throughout the movie he's the smiling, happy go-lucky dude who is a little too eager to join a crew. Complete opposite of the Han we met in ANH. Knowing that Alden has signed on for more films, reading the rumors that there is a possible Fett movie in the works and seeing Maul's cameo all make me think, there has to be a follow up to this film right? Why have Maul appear if it's not going to be followed up? And I don't mean in books and comics either. Solo works as a starting point for a trilogy or at least a sequel. If they leave it as is (a true standalone) with nothing else from these characters and the actors who played them, then as time goes in it will feel like a waste of a film.

Throughout the movie he's the smiling, happy go-lucky dude who is a little too eager to join a crew. Complete opposite of the Han we met in ANH.

The funny thing is they pat themselves on the back for having Han shoot first as a wink to the fans that have been complaining that Lucas nerfed Han in the Special Edition. But this movie's portrayal of Han nerfs him like a thousand times more than one ill-considered alteration.

Here's hoping we do get to see that story of how Han became a confirmed cynic, because we do need it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.