Kendrick Lamar stops white fan from using N Word

Metropolis

http://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-44209141

To me the important thing here is context. Rappers know that the major consumer of their music is young white people. So I don't believe for a minute that Kendrick Lamar believes that girl never repeats that word when she sings his songs. I think he thought it wasn't a good idea for her to use the word on stage in mixed company. Maybe he'll think better next time or just won't invite anyone on stage anymore because now if you have someone black come on stage and use the N word you come off as hypocritical. The response to this though is sadly typical. Either you're of the white people can't use that word camp or you're of the black peopleshouldnt use it either. There is no middle ground on anything anymore.

I think you're officially my *****.

I find the "N" word ridiculous. You can't demonize a word and then champion its use.

That poor girl is being ridiculed just for singing a song. Or maybe it's her fault that her parents actually paid for her ticket. Must put her in the 1 percent.

Modern life = comedy

Yeah, as a white dude you don’t get to make a call on how/what the word means or how it is used.

I think it’s less about Kendrick and more about why the girl felt comfortable enough to use the word in the first place. It’s possible he invited her up thinking she’d be smart enough to not say that part.

Regardless of what you think of that word, you have to respect how it effects other people. And any decent person witgh an ounce of wokeness or respect should know not to say it, even if you’re invited on stage to sing it.

Yeah, as a white dude you don’t get to make a call on how/what the word means or how it is used.

I think it’s less about Kendrick and more about why the girl felt comfortable enough to use the word in the first place. It’s possible he invited her up thinking she’d be smart enough to not say that part.

Regardless of what you think of that word, you have to respect how it effects other people. And any decent person witgh an ounce of wokeness or respect should know not to say it, even if you’re invited on stage to sing it.

I disagree, I think he invited her up there knowing she'd sing the word and wanted to make a point.

It's wrong to ever say that one group cannot have a say in moral judgement for something.

And here is mine: The use of the N word by anyone is crass at best and should be condemned. The belief that "we can say a word but you can't" is also very wrongheaded and promoting of racial divisions. I mentioned once before that I literally gave up on ESPN as a racist network after listening to Mike Wilbon declare how he says it every day and doesn't care what white people might think of it. Well, his views on that cost his network a viewer permanently.

In this case, it actually highlights how ridiculous the double standard is that the writer of the lines is acting as censor because of the race of the person.

I understand the futility of trying to make you understand a viewpoint beyond your own much less reflect the definitive cultural history and intent of a word used in relation to a race you are not, and we’ve been getting along, so suffice it to say, you and Tex as conservative white dudes can go ahead feel as though you are qualified to make declarative statements of supposed authirty, and I’ll just be moving along.

Oh, and you’re wrong.

I understand the futility of trying to make you understand a viewpoint beyond your own much less reflect the definitive cultural history and intent of a word used in relation to a race you are not, and we’ve been getting along, so suffice it to say, you and Tex as conservative white dudes can go ahead feel as though you are qualified to make declarative statements of supposed authirty, and I’ll just be moving along.

Oh, and you’re wrong.

I don't claim authority. I simply reject the notion that anyone has authority of opinion based on skin color. One can consider me wrong, but cannot order me to close my eyes and shut my mouth.

Above all, encouraging insular groupthink is a recipe for dysfunction. Black people will bear the burden of the tragedies created by the walls that you yourself are helping to erect.

What he did is like a black screenwriter writing a part for a racist white character. Then he hires a white actor to play that part, the script contains the N word. The white actor then obviously says the word in the performance of their part and the black screenwriter is like "woah, its never ok for you to use that word."

Yeah, as a white dude you dont get to make a call on how/what the word means or how it is used.

I think its less about Kendrick and more about why the girl felt comfortable enough to use the word in the first place. Its possible he invited her up thinking shed be smart enough to not say that part.

Regardless of what you think of that word, you have to respect how it effects other people. And any decent person witgh an ounce of wokeness or respect should know not to say it, even if youre invited on stage to sing it.

I disagree, I think he invited her up there knowing she'd sing the word and wanted to make a point.
What point do you think he was trying to make?

I didn't see your last post. So you think he set her up?

Yeah, as a white dude you dont get to make a call on how/what the word means or how it is used.

I think its less about Kendrick and more about why the girl felt comfortable enough to use the word in the first place. Its possible he invited her up thinking shed be smart enough to not say that part.

Regardless of what you think of that word, you have to respect how it effects other people. And any decent person witgh an ounce of wokeness or respect should know not to say it, even if youre invited on stage to sing it.

What point do you think he was trying to make?

I didn't see your last post. So you think he set her up?

Im not sure what point he wanted to make. But I mean you call a person up to sing a song I guess you should probably figure they will sing the song. Which is what it seems like this girl did.

I think he didn't think it would go south as fast as it did. I could be wrong, but if there was intent to get her to say the word then that's pretty ****ed up.

Maybe you are right, after reading the story closer seems like more of an accident. Still though, if you don't want people to sing a word there is a simple solution.

I saw something earlier today that said the person he had in stage before her"censored" himself. Of course that isn't confirmed, nor does it say if the guy was white or black. The N word is in that song quite a few times. He asked her if she knew the lyrics and she said "I got you". He could have whispered to her to not use the word before they started.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It's not, and never should be, acceptable for white people to use that word in any context. Nor should it be acceptable for any other people to use it, as well. I think this story is clearly a publicity stunt on the part of Kendrick Lamar. This white girl is a total moron for using that word (assuming she wasn't a plant in the first place) but I think Lamar intentionally gave her the rope to hang herself, and set her up for failure, for purposes of getting publicity. Honestly, I never heard of this guy until now, but if you google his name right now, the first page or two of search results that come up about him is this story, not his accomplishments.

I think where the real debate needs to be is asking where are the leaders of the African American community at, when it comes to denouncing the use of the N word by anyone, be them white or any other color, including members of that community who profit from its use.

Lol. I'm a rock guy, but I do listen to hip hop and rap. Though I've become very "get off my lawn" about a lot of modern music. I personally don't get the big whoop about Kendrick Lamar. He's not as corny as Lil Wayne, but if he sticks around long enough I think he'll flame out. That said if Jay Z invites a fan on stage to sing "If I should die" you can't rip the fan because that song uses the N word 10 times before the first verse starts. Maad City has the N word all through that song. The song itself isn't butterflies and unicorns.

Tank, I like you a lot and I think you're a good kid, but you're wrong on this one. Sometimes a word means what you want it to mean. Sometimes you can be called an A hole by someone trying to insult you. Sometimes you can be called an A hole by a friend who is clearly joking. In that example A hole means two completely different things.

And, btw, neither of which have anything to do with an actual ass hole.

Sure but Im not talking about that. Im talking about common sense, and respect.

This is one of those Im not racist, but... type arguments where people throw in dictionary terms, or practical life, or even constitutional amendments to support the fact that they are just sayin

But at the end of the day, if somebody seriously thinks black people shouldnt mind the word, and they should get to say it all you want, theyre just being an ass hole. At best, theyre interested in pushing buttons and getting attention, at worst, theyre hiding racism behind some sort of alt-right clapback because its more socially acceptable than just being straight up about being a racist.

If one of these stances is more important to somebody than just having some simple respect for somebody to not throw a word in their face that upsets them, they are an ass hole, and a plain garbage person with no empathy to boot.

This is a lot of my problem with conservative arguements and viewpoints, they cling to (sometimes) logic and law, with zero regard for actual human interaction and empathy. So if youre not white, you could never know what that word feels like when it is directed at you. I dont claim to understand it myself, but I have empathy for people who have explained how that word effects them.

Maybe I'm too sheltered to give an adequate response, it's just been my experience that people show respect naturally when it's due, and they'll call you out appropriately when it's not.

The problem with anyone hiding behind their race, gender, or age is that doing so undermines all of us, including anyone with a legitimate complaint, and those are the ones that ultimately suffer and then complain about their house not being big enough.

So yeah, maybe white privilege has rottened my brain. Or maybe I'm just being too practical. I'll let you be the judge.

I used to fall more in line with Tex, and although I do believe in general people get offended too easily I've come to understand that there are legit things that offend people. This word is certainly one of them. So you can either try to work out intent and all of that or you can just think "some people are offended by this and in this case it is legit. What do I gain by saying this word? Nothing, really. So why say something that could offend someone?" There is just no reason for it.

Having said that, if you put the word in a song then you have to know fans will sing it. That's not on the white girl, its on the performer who knows he has white fans.

Some people say there is never a time a white person can say that word but again what of my example of an actor playing a part? That is obviously an exception. Just like I think singing it in a song is an exception.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.