Lando Is Pansexual

Tank

It's a hot button issue right now. That's different than a fad.

It's an issue because for so long there has been marginalization of people with sexual identities that are outside the hetero norm. And "marginalization" is putting it extremely mildly -- I'm sure no one could argue that.

A fad is something frivolous. This is a human rights issue, it's a feminist issue, it's a gender equality issue. It's not going away.

That said, this moment of recognizing it and it appearing in places where it previously didn't (TV shows, major motion pictures, etc.) can sometimes feel forced - like it's shoehorned in there to advance an agenda. And sometimes I'd agree, it is. It can be hamfisted and clumsy as people try too hard to right wrongs. But if the alternative to that is to say "quit shoving your agenda down our throats!" and just continue to only show hetero-norm/white/male/whatever-you-think-is-traditionally-normal, I think we should go with the shoehorn.

Hate to ruin your world view, gentlemen, but these types of gender identities and preferences etc have existed, maybe literally but said figuratively, forever. It is just that in the past anyone different was hit on the head with a stone...

Well... people were certainly hit on the head with a stone, or hung for such identities since the advent of Christianity to be sure. Prior to that however seems to be another story....

the Fad part is not the existence of alternative sexual preferences but the extremely vocal declaration of these preferences as being a primary sense of one's identity and being. In stead of, you know, just what someone gets up to.

But back to the film, I still haven't seen it, but surely it would've been enough for Lando to be seen to be affectionate/romantic with a droid on screen... without the public declaration that.."oh that's because he's pan-sexual". Giving someone a nifty label because they do a particular something isn't open minded or more inclusive, if that's what people are shooting for.

Good to see Kurgan back and totally on form.

We'll see how long it lasts.

Identity politics, as such, are ancient. It's debatable whether there are ultimately any other kind of politics.

But in this particular case, it's being used as a marketing gimmick. Would this have been less of a film had Lando's pansexuality not been shoehorned in, doubtlessly as an offering to a segment of the moviegoing populace, specifically all of the critics, who really care about issues like that? Plus, all the traditional values warriors getting up in arms about it are also part of the larger marketing angle. They too help spread the word and raise awareness of the film. Controversy, particularly the safe controversy that staking one's name on a "pro diversity" stance is a great way to generate hype. In that sense, it's a fad.

Well, what do you call it when humans are sexually attracted to Twi'Leks? In a universe with aliens ranging from nearly human to very non-humanoid and 'droids, what does it mean to be attracted to, say, only females, regardless of species or artificial nature? Saying Lando is pansexual is an acknowledgement that he's attractive and attracted to all. That's part of his character.

Well, what do you call it when humans are sexually attracted to Twi'Leks? In a universe with aliens ranging from nearly human to very non-humanoid and 'droids, what does it mean to be attracted to, say, only females, regardless of species or artificial nature? Saying Lando is pansexual is an acknowledgement that he's attractive and attracted to all. That's part of his character.

I'm sure that would be totally common place in Star Wars universe. Just include it without making a big song and dance about it.

It made big news but it wasnt like some concentrated marketing effort. It's not like commercials were touting "Come see Solo, featuring the pan sexual Lando Calrissian". The writer made one comment and everyone ran with it.

There is no defending Amy Schumer. She’s a cute fat chick with zero talent. It’s ok for a comedian to be crass if it’s funny. If it’s crass and not funny it’s just really bad. That’s Amy Schumer.

• 1 month later...

Given all this and how they love throwback reference to the OT, there was a HUGE missed opportunity in Solo.

I would have written a scene like this:

Lando has introduced L3-3T to Han, alluding strongly that their relationship is more than the usual pilot-co-pilot sitch.

Han: You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought.

Lando: She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've added some special modifications myself.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Solo would've made a lot more money if there had been some hardcore man on droid on Wookiee action.

At least we got a Han/Chewie shower scene. I've secretly shipped that for years.

It's really slow at work and I'm reading old threads out of boredom and I didn't see Solo...

and the character L3-37 addresses the issue of non-human rights, and that can be discussed endlessly.

There's a character named L3-37? L337? Is this character a H4X0R? I can't be the only person who's noticed this.

That is all, carry on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.