Deadpool 2

ShadowDog

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the whole setup is rather weird, and not in the wacky sort of way. Starting a comedy by killing Vanessa and having Deadpool be suicidal? Following that we have him attached to generic annoying loud fat kid (movies, please understand, they are never as funny as you think)? Ignoring all the potential for putting Deadpool and Cable together and emphasizing Colossus instead?

I'm supposed to care about this kid, but I don't. I expect Deadpool to plug the evil orphanage director, but he does self-sacrifice instead. Not that many jokes. Deadpool restrained most of the movie. It really doesn't even feel like a Deadpool movie. Just a really unambitious movie with some 4th wall breaking tossed in.

The only time where it really felt like they were embracing what they could do was during the mid-credit scenes.

Odd side note, I found Deadpool and Yukio's cutesy brightening around each other to Negasonic Teenage Warhead's chagrin adorable and funny.

Hmm, I enjoyed it a lot. I thought it was a lot better than the first, which I would have given a C+. This one... like a solid B. I thought they did a fine job with the tonal flow of it. The mixture of characters was well balanced. I thought having both Colossus and Cable would step on each other's toes, since they essentially serve as "straight man" foils for Deadpool, but they differentiated them enough.

My favorite part was how goofy and irreverent the whole X-Force thing was. Shatterstar... lol. Domino ended up kind of stealing the show. And Brolin's Cable was excellent.

My only complaints were: (as with the first) I wish they would go MORE over the top. I want a movie more like the video game that came out a few years ago. More "cartoony" hallucinations, or such.
Also, get rid of the bartender character dude, he basically has one joke that he runs into the ground. The blind lady was kind of a pointless holdover from the first as well.

Deadpool killing himself? I'm not sure if it ruins the suspension of disbelief for some people. I can understand that, but it didn't for me because I see a lot of the "wackier" stuff as potentially just taking place in his warped imagination. Same with the second ending: does it ruin the stakes and consequences of what had just taken place? Mayyyybe, but again, I can also take it as Deadpool's detachment from reality.

Sure, I can understand how some hardcore Deadpool fans might be put off by how it turns into a relatively straightforward X-Men movie, but I can't complain because when it's good it's right up there with the better of the X-Men films. But yeah, they just really need to get weirder. Not that I need Roger Rabbit or The Mask, but it's missing the "animated" element.

Guest Robin

I think the film had some heart. It has way less wrong with it than most X-Franchise films. Similar to Solo, Id class this as a fun and forget it film. In regards to getting taken out of the film, there was a fourth wall joke about CGI which did that for me. Up until that joke I was rather enjoying the characters the joke referenced, after that I was bored with seeing them and wanted the focus to go back to Deadpool... okay, honestly... to Domino. Oh, Boy. XD

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.