Was Luke about to kill himself

The Choc

The whole thing about him saying he was done with Star Wars is just like the "Not my Luke Skywalker thing". Its taking words out of context to put forth ones own agenda. The "Not my Luke Skywalker" line was taken from something where he said something like "when I first read the script I thought that's not my Luke Skywalker." Which is a pretty important context.

Same goes with his comments about IX. He basically said that what made him so excited about making more movies was spending time with Harrison and Carrie again. The people are what he was excited about more than just making the movie. He said with Han being killed off and the passing of Carrie that obviously neither of them will be around. He was saying without the people I love being around Im fine with being done with Star Wars.

Having said that of that he recently tweeted a panel from the comic where Luke says "See ya around, kid" and then tagged it #foreshadowing. So seems like he'd be happy to come back.

You need to put all his comments into context.

He fully admits to hating the direction for Luke at first. The he says he realized it was his job to be the actor. He and Rian locked horns, but ultimately they came to understand each other, and Hamill delivered on the performance. There's a DOC with the TLJ release (probably a little slanted given it's made by Lucasfilm). Ultimately Hamill came to understand and respect the direction Rian wanted to go, it just wasn't his first choice.

He's talked on different points of this at different times and every other youtube fanboy loves to just cut to the part that supports their rant.

First off, I agree there are youtubers that are batch*t insane over TLJ. I'm not one of those, and I think they are ridiculous.

Second of all, when I said MH wanted to through RJ off the cliff, I was kidding.

But I think personally that MH is the best consultant there ever was for assisting with deciding the direction of Luke's story. Perhaps even more than George Lucas. It was absolutely foolish for RJ to ignore that, and considering how much ownership MH took for the Luke character, I think he was completely justified in being frustrated and critical of RJ. And while MH is a professional, he also has a right to his opinions.

As to walking back his statements of dissatisfaction, there is no way for us outsiders to know for sure, but it is a reasonable assumption to believe that he walked back his statements because LFL\Disney had a sit down with him, and told him to cool it and be more positive. Since the BR release, MH has walked back the walk back somewhat, and has even stated he doesn't have any interest in any more Star Wars films. That is very unfortunate, and to me, at least, indicates he is disillusioned with the current direction of Star Wars.

Totally wasn't calling you a crazy baby youtube fanbaby!

Guest El Chalupacabra

He just tweeted recently teasing a possible return in IX.

Sometimes it is hard to tell if MH is trolling or not, though. He's got an off beat sense of humor. That all said, the way I see it, the statements where MH was critical of TLJ closer to the release are the more honest responses. I mean before, and immediately after a movie is released, generally the stars are going to be supportive of the film. MH was pretty passive aggressive, to outright critical. Why would he say such things, if that wasn't an honest reaction?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Totally wasn't calling you a crazy baby youtube fanbaby!

Sorry man, I wasn't implying you were. I just wanting to clarify so I wasn't misunderstood by anyone.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The whole thing about him saying he was done with Star Wars is just like the "Not my Luke Skywalker thing". Its taking words out of context to put forth ones own agenda. The "Not my Luke Skywalker" line was taken from something where he said something like "when I first read the script I thought that's not my Luke Skywalker." Which is a pretty important context.

Same goes with his comments about IX. He basically said that what made him so excited about making more movies was spending time with Harrison and Carrie again. The people are what he was excited about more than just making the movie. He said with Han being killed off and the passing of Carrie that obviously neither of them will be around. He was saying without the people I love being around Im fine with being done with Star Wars.

Having said that of that he recently tweeted a panel from the comic where Luke says "See ya around, kid" and then tagged it #foreshadowing. So seems like he'd be happy to come back.

Well, it would be a damn shame if he didn't come back, IMHO. I never went to see the ST because of Rey, Finn, Poe or Kylo. I saw Eps 7&8 because I wanted to see the OT characters and how they had changed, and the new characters were secondary to me.

There certainly is room for him to return. Really, only MH knows for sure what he really thinks. Maybe the fact JJ will be doing Ep 9 has made him reconsider? Or maybe LFL\Disney threw enough money at him to reconsider/

I can't stand when people can't separate the art from the artist. Not speaking about anyone here, just in general. You always hear those stories of when someone plays a villain in a movie or TV show and then are out in public, people start talking trash to them as if they really are that character. I hated TLJ, but I'm not going to wish harm on Rian Johnson or hope his career bottoms out.

Well, it would be a damn shame if he didn't come back, IMHO. I never went to see the ST because of Rey, Finn, Poe or Kylo. I saw Eps 7&8 because I wanted to see the OT characters and how they had changed, and the new characters were secondary to me.

I wonder how LFL/Disney feels about this?

The idea of someone putting on a uniform right before they know they are going to die or are likely to die after they've done something they are ashamed of we've seen in movies many times. I can think of a few off the top of my head. The Captain does it i in Titanic and Matthew Modines character in Dark Knight Rises.

Before I was even finished reading your post where you gave examples from other films, I was already thinking of Col. Markinson in A Few Good Men:

"It's not like he hanged himself by his shoelaces or slashed his wrists with a concealed butter knife. This guy got into full dress uniform, stood in the middle of that room, drew a nickel-plated pistol from his holster, and fired a bullet into his mouth." - Lt. Kaffee

I wonder how LFL/Disney feels about this?

They probably won't like it soon. I personally feel it was a mistake to kill off Luke mainly because I don't believe that Daisy Ridley is up to carrying a film all by herself.

Let's not forget that a couple characters actually do commit suicide in this, Rose's sister during the opening battle and Holdo during her hyperspace kamikaze run. Also Finn is trying to commit suicide before Rose prevents it.

Finally in my mind Luke DOES commit suicide at the end of the movie. He knew that projecting himself across the galaxy would end in his death and he does it anyway, while wearing those pretty Jedi robes.

Early in the movie when Kylo and Rey have their first Force connection, Kylo believe Rey is doing what Luke does at the end of the movie. It's why he asks her if she can see his surroundings and mentions that he can't see hers. He then says "this isn't you, the effort would kill you." Which you can take to mean that Rey isn't powerful enough to do it and thus it would kill her, or you can take it to mean that projecting yourself like that would kill anyone who tried to do it. So at this point it's kinda a mystery as to how this connection is happening. Later we find out Snoke did it which makes us think "oh ok Snoke is powerful enough to do something that would kill Rey." Which seemingly ends the story thread.

In reality though it's all to set up Luke at the end of the movie. Kylo says that the effort would kill Rey, it means it would kill ANYONE. So when Luke sends his projection across the Galaxy to save the day he knew it would result in his death.

So really when you look at it we see Luke in his robes at the start of the movie standing on the edge of a cliff. We see him middle of the movie in those robes about to burn down a tree while saying "Im going to end all of this." Then at the end of the movie he is wearing those robes and does in fact do something that leads to his death.

In the end Luke not only was about to kill himself HE ACTUALLY DOES KILL HIMSELF.

There is a difference between sacrificing ones self for the survival and betterment of others in a heroic gesture (throwing ones self on the grenade) and killing ones self out of pity and shame alone on an island of despair. Disney would never touch the latter.

But I take your point

They probably won't like it soon. I personally feel it was a mistake to kill off Luke mainly because I don't believe that Daisy Ridley is up to carrying a film all by herself.

Really??? This probably isn't a popular sentiment around here, but Mark Hamill isn't exactly Marlon Brando. Luckily he didn't ever have to carry Star Wars movies by himself and neither does Ridley.

That said, she was outstanding in TFA. When you look back to the PT and how hard a time some fairly decent actors had with this kind of hokey genre stuff and then compare Daisy Ridley's performance in TFA - wow - she sold this stuff better than anyone has. She 100% carried that film.

Oddly, I didn't feel the same way about her in TLJ so maybe a lot of the credit goes to J.J. (and some should be taken away from RJ?). Or maybe it was just a lightning-in-a-bottle kind of thing for her. Either away I'm shocked anyone could say she can't carry a Star Wars film after what she did in TFA.

Guest El Chalupacabra

It was NEVER the goal of the Disney or Lucasfilm for the OT stars to lead the ST. They were always meant to hand the story off to the next generation.

I always understood that, but my interest was in the OT cast.

That said, she was outstanding in TFA. When you look back to the PT and how hard a time some fairly decent actors had with this kind of hokey genre stuff and then compare Daisy Ridley's performance in TFA - wow - she sold this stuff better than anyone has. She 100% carried that film.

Oddly, I didn't feel the same way about her in TLJ so maybe a lot of the credit goes to J.J. (and some should be taken away from RJ?). Or maybe it was just a lightning-in-a-bottle kind of thing for her. Either away I'm shocked anyone could say she can't carry a Star Wars film after what she did in TFA.

I wasn't the biggest fan of TFA so that's probably not the best example. I rather thought they messed her up in the second half of that film. I also thought she was a whole lot more interesting in TLJ. Pairing her with Hamill and Driver really helped.

Either way, I'm just not buying her as an actress.

Really??? This probably isn't a popular sentiment around here, but Mark Hamill isn't exactly Marlon Brando. Luckily he didn't ever have to carry Star Wars movies by himself and neither does Ridley.

He carried TLJ to a large degree. The film succeeded as well as it did largely based on how well he sold his performance. Furthermore, he has a gravitas in a Star Wars film that no one else can match.

I mentioned it before, Hamill is the actor that I trust more than anyone else in these films. You give him a role and he'll just go for it even when it's pretty silly. He's made a career out of it starting with doing his part to make Yoda live and continuing through his ton of voice-over work.

It was NEVER the goal of the Disney or Lucasfilm for the OT stars to lead the ST. They were always meant to hand the story off to the next generation.

True. I just don't think the next generation is ready. Finn is a lost cause and Rey and Poe barely know each other. The only two characters with a connection I enjoy are Rey and Ben. Given all that, I'd rather lean on Luke for another half movie before he makes his heroic sacrifice.

I think these characters are in about as good a shape to carry the movies forward as you could hope. If you are comparing them to the Big 3 plus Lando of the OT, then sure thats a hard level to reach. Some of the very most iconic characters in the history of movies. If you are saying they have fallen short of that, then thats fine.

But this group is just different. The heart of the OT was that Big 3. That's not the case here. The heard is Rey and Kylo, which I think has been pretty fantastic. It's not a Big 3 of Rey, Poe, Finn with Kylo as the bad guy. The heart of the trilogy is Rey and Kylo. Finn and Poe are a step lower rather than part of a Big 3. Your handle is Poe Dameron so I guess you are ok with that character. Finn, I love Finn in TFA, I get that you don't. But I think the TLJ has totally moved him away from the comic relief character he started off as. Sure at the start of the movie he is still humorous, being ridiculous in that bacta suit thing and then the scene where Rose stuns him. As the movie goes on though that stops. I can't think of much humor from him in the 2nd half of the movie. Maybe one double take he does when BB8 is firing that walker? Other than that he is pretty straight forward and determined in his fight against the First Order.

I think they've done a great job getting these characters in a spot to do this on their own. But yeah the safety net is gone in Episode IX, other than maybe a couple scenes from Luke as a ghost. It's sink or swim time.

I think it would be an interesting twist if Luke comes back, but instead of force-ghost advising Rey, he force-haunts Kylo.

Or both.

Taunting KYLO and messing with his head woukd be awesome, but I don't think they need to be mutually exclusive.

Guest Robin

I beg to differ. My ears heard Luke say, I came here to fly. This is supported in the cutscene when Luke saves Tiger Lily from drowning in the dark side cave.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Rewatched some of TLJ last night... Luke does say “I came here to die.”

I took that as he foresaw that in a force vision as his destiny.

Why spend 10-15 years drinking green milk and hunting alien fish with a 3 story pole, when he could have offed himself by jumping off a cliff at any time?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.