Royal wedding

Guest El Chalupacabra

Guest El Chalupacabra

OMG! I am so tired of hearing about Prince Harry's and Meghan Markle's upcoming wedding. Make it stop!!!

AAAARRRRRRRRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weird thing is that it's probably worse over there (if you're over there) than here, even after taking MM's nationality in to account.

I'm going to go out for the day and find somewhere quiet to avoid it all. But the media over here will still try and convince everyone here and elsewhere that it's a national obsession. Many of us don't give a damn, my dears.

A lot of us over here are a bit disillusioned over it, especially those of us that don't follow the mainstream media.

I'm guessing you're not seeing the reports over there about the police clearing homeless people away from the Windsor area? It's begun already, there's a few pictures starting to emerge of homeless people being moved on so they're not in the area or at least visible for the festivities. There's also quite a lot of resentment towards the fact that brutal cuts are being made left, right and centre to places that are already hurting for funds (primarily the NHS, which is already a massive scandal, and also the police), and we're constantly being told that there's no magic money tree to fund all the things that need funding, yet suddenly there's something £25 million on hand for the wedding? Not to mention all the extra police officers that will be needed to police the event, police officers that don't just magically appear when needed - officers that will have leave cancelled and will be pulled away from areas where there's already a serious shortage of personnel.

Yet the MSM are all mooning over it, and the unwashed masses are lapping it up. I'm not anti-monarchy in any way, but it does grate when you see massively important issues being swept under the carpet, flat-out ignored and attention deflected away from far more important issues by the 4th in line to the throne getting married (which is another first for Diana's kids, I believe it's the first inter-racial marriage, never mind that he's marrying a foreigner).

Honestly, I didn't mind the big hullabaloo with William's marriage. It's cool to do that once every couple of generations. William is going to be king someday and he picked a bride that he publicly courted throughout his adult life. The monarchy is archaic, but I can understand a country keeping an old tradition and celebrating a figurehead. Storybook tale.

But I don't really much see the point for Harry. He's always just kinda been the other brother. That's just one of the things that happens with inherited titles.

Though, I do kinda figure that about 20 years from now, Charlotte is going to be one of the most famous and influential women in the world. Just to put down that marker. It's been a LONG time since there's been a born princess running around and I expect the world to be fascinated by her even if she's second born. If they can keep her head on straight, it's easy to envision her eclipsing her grandmother Diana.

But I don't really much see the point for Harry. He's always just kinda been the other brother. That's just one of the things that happens with inherited titles.

There's actually a lot of respect for Harry here, especially amongst veterans, specifically because of his service and the fact that he actually did two tours, first as a junior infantry officer, then again as an Apache pilot when they wouldn't let him go back in as infantry after some **** of a journalist splashed his presence in the war zone all over the papers.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, I'm not anti-UK or anti-royals. But I find the media blitz annoying as hell.

Weird thing is that it's probably worse over there (if you're over there) than here, even after taking MM's nationality in to account.

I'm going to go out for the day and find somewhere quiet to avoid it all. But the media over here will still try and convince everyone here and elsewhere that it's a national obsession. Many of us don't give a damn, my dears.

I'm in the US. I find it really bizarre when US citizens are obsessed with the Royals. Now I get that most who are obsessed with it usually tend to be ladies, and it plays into that "marrying a prince" fantasy some ladies have, which is fine. But the news and media blather on about the most idiotic and mundane stuff. Who is wearing what, blah, blah, blah, when actual news is taking place. It's like the coverage of world events are on hold until this wedding is over.

Honestly, I didn't mind the big hullabaloo with William's marriage. It's cool to do that once every couple of generations. William is going to be king someday and he picked a bride that he publicly courted throughout his adult life. The monarchy is archaic, but I can understand a country keeping an old tradition and celebrating a figurehead. Storybook tale.

Though, I do kinda figure that about 20 years from now, Charlotte is going to be one of the most famous and influential women in the world. Just to put down that marker. It's been a LONG time since there's been a born princess running around and I expect the world to be fascinated by her even if she's second born. If they can keep her head on straight, it's easy to envision her eclipsing her grandmother Diana.

Is a royal wedding news worthy? Sure. But not to the level of the media blitz going on. Not in the US, anyway, and not even for a crown prince.

The way I see it, and no offense to our UK posters, but the whole reason the US exists is because we wanted to get away from the royal family!

As far as royals go I think Harry is probably one of the better ones. I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests he's actually a really decent, "normal" dude and not what you'd think a royal would be like. He once got smashed, dressed up as a giant teddy bear and went and danced on stage with the Flaming Lips at a festival. Good dude.

Give a fuck about his wedding though, I'm more amped for my own which is the week after his.

Guest El Chalupacabra

As far as royals go I think Harry is probably one of the better ones. I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests he's actually a really decent, "normal" dude and not what you'd think a royal would be like. He once got smashed, dressed up as a giant teddy bear and went and danced on stage with the Flaming Lips at a festival. Good dude.

Give a **** about his wedding though, I'm more amped for my own which is the week after his.

And then there was the time he dressed up like a Nazi. For like no reason.

Give a **** about his wedding though, I'm more amped for my own which is the week after his.

And then there was the time he dressed up like a Nazi. For like no reason.

He was going to a costume Halloween party. Poor taste but kind of funny. At least, I can see the humour.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't find it funny at all, and indicates to me that (at the time...he was 20, I think), that he was an insensitive douche. I'm sure (or would like to think) he has matured since then, but out of literally the millions of options, why pick a Nazi uniform? Gag or not, that's not something a public figure, let alone a member of a royal family from a nation that opposed Nazi-ism should do.

I don't find it funny at all, and indicates to me that (at the time...he was 20, I think), that he was an insensitive douche. I'm sure (or would like to think) he has matured since then, but out of literally the millions of options, why pick a Nazi uniform? Gag or not, that's not something a public figure, let alone a member of a royal family from a nation that opposed Nazi-ism should do.

Just a silly decision made out of youthful rebellion and not really thinking. I'm sure he knew it would rile people up, and he did it anyway. But he was a party animal kid. I've done plenty of stupid shit in my time and never had the added pressure of being the illegitimate son of a dead princess and military helicopter pilot, whilst being raised with all the expectation of being a stately figurehead.

Guest El Chalupacabra

OMG! I am so tired of hearing about Prince Harry's and Meghan Markle's upcoming wedding. Make it stop!!!

Where are you hearing about it?

The question should be where do you NOT hear about it! ;)

Guest El Chalupacabra

Just a silly decision made out of youthful rebellion and not really thinking. I'm sure he knew it would rile people up, and he did it anyway. But he was a party animal kid. I've done plenty of stupid **** in my time and never had the added pressure of being the illegitimate son of a dead princess and military helicopter pilot, whilst being raised with all the expectation of being a stately figurehead.

All the more reason he should have known better not to do it. The guy will never be king, so his life is pretty much PR and attending ceremonial functions, when he isn't living in the lap of luxury. The least he can do is not do stupid crap like that, and keep a low profile.

Really, the Royals have nothing to do with me or the country I live in, and I could care less, but for the fact that their faces are plastered everywhere in the news right now.

I have to say, I can't see the joke in a member of the royal family dressing up as a Nazi either. There are responsibilities that come with the gifts of royalty. You represent more than your own person at all times and in all places. Shitty deal, comes with the silver spoon. But then again, I'm an American, what would I know about should be expected of a prince?

I don't get why this wedding is any more important than any other Hollywood wedding. Pretences to maintain I suppose.

Really, the Royals have nothing to do with me or the country I live in, and I could care less, but for the fact that their faces are plastered everywhere in the news right now.

How much less could you care?

All I'm saying is what he dressed up as 15 years ago to a drunken costume party has no bearing on him as a person or figure head. He's done a lot of good since then, but people often come back with OMG Harry Dressed as a Nazi. TBH he is the only royal who seems a little more human and relevant. He's more in touch with the everybodys of the world than William.

But I hear you, the wedding nonsense is annoying. It'll be done and dusted today so..dont worry.

Guest El Chalupacabra

But I AM worried. I worry A LOT!

I do agree one incident shouldn't define him for the rest of his (albeit privileged) life, and I don't mean to say that it does. When this wedding is over, I'll be glad. I'm more frustrated with the press focusing on nonsense like this, but I have to remember this is not something new. I can't wait to retire so I can move to the middle of nowhere and unplug from the rest of the world.

Unfortunately, that won't be for a decade or two!

Guest El Chalupacabra

It’s just a shame that her redneck family didn’t attend. Woulda been a great reception.

I am pretty sure somewhere in there, there's a premise for a movie.

Oh wait, there already was movie made...

220px-King_Ralph.jpeg

Where are you hearing about it?

The question should be where do you NOT hear about it! ;)

I was able to avoid all news of it just by not watching TV...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.