I'm only at the start of season 3 so skipped  over some of the comments in this page of the thread. 

I liked season 01. Season 02 was a bit of a chore to get through to be honest, mostly due to the repetitive nature of the episodes and the unrelenting cheese. Hoping season 03 gets better but the things that I don't like about it seem to be increasing in intensity with each season. Namely the cringey cheese. I just can't deal with some of it. Don't get me wrong, I like some cheese, and I know this is intentionally nudge nudge wink wink cheesy and knowing..but on top of that self aware-laugh-at-the-80s cheese is MORE cheese . A fondue of US television show-family value-relationship-lets-talk-about-feelings-cheese. The combined effect is just too much to take. 

Also a bit of trivia...I'm pretty sure the guy who plays Kessler did the voice for Canderous Ordo in KOTOR and KOTOR2. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m definitely fighting negativity and depression right now. If you only knew how many posts I’ve scrapped. But in my defense, I’ve been sick and in intense pain for weeks. COVID really sucks.

Just finished the season. Man what a goofy ass show. Rolled my eyes a lot but I definitely enjoyed it—I could tell by how tense I was when Johnny and Kreese finally fought. I felt like there was a lit

I agree with Tank. Theyre still kids, and everything has happened very quickly. Hawk went from being an angry, scared, bullied kid to being an angry, violent, bully. If that can happen, Cobra Kai save

We just started watching the first season a few nights ago after watching the first movie before that.  We're about to start season 2 either this evening or tomorrow.  We've really been enjoying it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished season 3.  Eh, I don't know....I think season 3 was the weakest.  Still enjoyed it a lot though.   

Kreese's backstory is so ridiculous, man.  I know they want to give him depth and dimension to his character and his actions but in this case it would just be better off if rhey just kept him a cheesy baddie just because.  Johnny following him to the halfway house was a good moment though.

So who gets the worst actor award?  Macchio?   The dude never knows what to do with his arms or hands, it cracks me up.  And does he has a bad haircut or a rug?   Can't tell but somethings up with his hair lol.  

They may sound like gripes but these things are part of what I enjoy when watching.   I have to admit that some of the character triangles they set up are pretty impressive.  It may be disguised as cheesy and campy but there's some pretty good writing going on here.  

Cobra Kai existing had brought up stories i would have never even sought it. I never knew that the reason Daniel and Jessica were never me than friends in KK3 was because the actress that played Jessica was 16 when they were filming. Macchio was 27 and the producers thought that was too creepy.

We finished Season 3 last week.  It's such a good, fun show, despite and/or because of the cheesiness.  The hardest part for us to watch, honestly, was at the start of Season 2 when Johnny was being manipulated so hard by Kreese, but that also made it so nice when Johnny sent him off.  Otherwise, my thoughts pretty much echo what so many of you have said about the show.

One thing that almost certainly altered our viewing/perception of the show is the fact that we started taking karate classes in 2019.  Sadly, the pandemic has kept us from continuing with them for almost a year now, but we are looking forward to going back once my wife can get the vaccine.  It really did make such a huge difference for us, both in getting us active and interacting with more people away from the university.  Our school has a nice mix of kids, teenagers, and adults (so we aren't the only adults there, by any means).

Kreese's captain mentioned learning Tang Soo Do, which is the primary style at our school.  Presumably, that is also supposed to be what Cobra Kai's style is, as well.  I definitely can see some aspects of Tang Soo Do in it with the emphasis on striking fast and hard, especially with the self defense techniques we learned, which are designed to end things immediately so that we can then escape to safety quickly, but the similarity in the philosophy of Kreese to the instructors in our school definitely ends there.