One thing I always try to do with shows or movies I like is to think "why do I like this" and then as long as the show keeps doing those things Im usually good. For instance Tank brought up Breaking Bad before and if something like that happened on Bad it would really hurt the show. One of the many things that made that show so so great is the tightness and the very very low suspension of disbelief. So a coincidence like that would destroy alot of that.

Thats not the case here. One of the things this show does so well that makes it great is stick to its themes, as Tank also said. So the idea of Daniel doing something good 30+ years ago, with no reason to hope for personal benefit, and then for that to save his business works thematically. Thats why the coincidence of it doesnt hurt the show.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m definitely fighting negativity and depression right now. If you only knew how many posts I’ve scrapped. But in my defense, I’ve been sick and in intense pain for weeks. COVID really sucks.

I agree with Tank. Theyre still kids, and everything has happened very quickly. Hawk went from being an angry, scared, bullied kid to being an angry, violent, bully. If that can happen, Cobra Kai save

Just finished the season. Man what a goofy ass show. Rolled my eyes a lot but I definitely enjoyed it—I could tell by how tense I was when Johnny and Kreese finally fought. I felt like there was a lit

The return to Okinawa episodes brought back the same feelings I had when originally watching the KK movies back in the 80's. In KK2 Daniel had a fight to the death. After something like that, you figure he'd have a sense of perspective, which is why I thought it was dumb for him to come back home and be deathly afraid of the Johnny Lawrence clone wanting to fight him for points in a California tournament in KK3. Dude, seriously? Chozen was going to literally kill you.

If not for the Okinawa episodes, this show almost plays like the sequels never happened. 

1 hour ago, Lord Darth Hunter said:

The return to Okinawa episodes brought back the same feelings I had when originally watching the KK movies back in the 80's. In KK2 Daniel had a fight to the death. After something like that, you figure he'd have a sense of perspective, which is why I thought it was dumb for him to come back home and be deathly afraid of the Johnny Lawrence clone wanting to fight him for points in a California tournament in KK3. Dude, seriously? Chozen was going to literally kill you.

If not for the Okinawa episodes, this show almost plays like the sequels never happened. 

The scenario we'll never have answered. Could Johnny have beaten Mike Barnes? Probably not. Barnes was in the cover of national magazines. The actor that played Barnes before the beginning of last season said he'd love to do Cobra Kai, but he didn't see where he would fit into the story.

The thing that I was relieved about with the Okinawa scenes was that they didn't play up a Daniel-Kumiko relationship. His marriage was really strained near the end of season 2. They thankfully never went there. Amanda was a standing by her man this season. 

1 hour ago, Darth Krawlie said:

I never saw any of the movies besides the first, so I’m glad they did the flashbacks. Only just got to the Okinawa episodes last night.

It would be hyperbole to call KK2 the ESB of the series. Especially since KK3 isn't in ROTJ's level. Though it does hold up over time. 

1 hour ago, Metropolis said:

The scenario we'll never have answered. Could Johnny have beaten Mike Barnes? Probably not. Barnes was in the cover of national magazines. The actor that played Barnes before the beginning of last season said he'd love to do Cobra Kai, but he didn't see where he would fit into the story.

The thing that I was relieved about with the Okinawa scenes was that they didn't play up a Daniel-Kumiko relationship. His marriage was really strained near the end of season 2. They thankfully never went there. Amanda was a standing by her man this season. 

Or could Johnny have beaten Chozen back then?

Just finished the season. Man what a goofy ass show. Rolled my eyes a lot but I definitely enjoyed it—I could tell by how tense I was when Johnny and Kreese finally fought. I felt like there was a little too much of the bad guys always winning and wanted a little more pay off at the end for the good guys, but that was because I didn’t realize there’s gonna be another season. I like Hawk’s face turn a bit more than you guys but Robby turning heel is one of my least favorite bits.

Just binged the whole series last couple of weeks and Krawlie sums up my feelings on all of it. Watching it one hit I actually started to think Hawk’s turn was almost overdue. Didn’t feel as much a GoT/Daenerys situation at any rate. 

Really looking forward to where it goes in S4 - is it meant to be the last season or considered ongoing?