Cobra Kai

The Choc

My school was closer to 2000 and was big enough that there wasnt necessarily any popular group. The preps (preppy kids) were the closest, but it was more that there were multiple groups with popular people in each group. It would never work in media, though.

Your school graduated 2000 a year? Wow.

I was speaking more to dialog/interests I think.

I dunno. So far, and I am sure this changes, but the students are one-dimensional. They are all defined and acting towards their archetype. I would like nerds to be portrayed in a manner that the audience gets to know them before showing them picked on...or at least being picked is not the reason for their existence in the show.

Yeah-- that's what I meant by on the nose.

Ohhh...snap....

TIL "on the nose" also means lacking nuance. I always thought it just meant precise.

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to watching this. We binged it with the 12 yo while the little one bounced around the living room trying to get us to fight him "with the hi-yahs". Got some awkward questions from the tween - "what's a three-way?" - but overall we really enjoyed it. 

My favorite part is how much Amanda just does not give 2 shits about Daniel and Johnny's rivalry. 

• 1 month later...

I’m a little over halfway through the season. This show somehow always manages to be better than it deserves. The cast is phenomenal, and the younger generation is actually reasonable for high school students, despite at least some of them being older.

Of course I’m still two decades older so maybe they don’t look young to younger people.

The show is basically a miracle that its as good as it is. There are little moments all over the place that just elevate. Like when Daniel first gets to the village in Okinawa and its modernized with a mall his perspective (and thus the audiences) is really "how dare some corporation come in and do this to this perfect little village". But when Daniel talks to someone from there she tells him its the best thing to happen to the village. They all have modern homes and jobs with incomes. There are alot of little moments like this that really are what makes the show. These changes in point of view. 

I also loved the moment in episode 8 where

Johnny and Miguel's mom knocked the TV off the wall. Since Johnny was originally doing so professionally, it shows how bad he was at his job

While i can wait for season 3 of The Mandalorian, i can't wait for season 4 of Cobra Kai. There's no doubt it will be the final season.

While there were things I had problems with i just loves so much about the season

- you can feel the genuine emotion of Ralph Macchio not having Pat Morita there. You can feel

- Daniel going back to Okinawa could have been the most fan service okay of the season but it works perfectly. 

10 minutes ago, Metropolis said:

While i can wait for season 3 of The Mandalorian, i can't wait for season 4 of Cobra Kai. There's no doubt it will be the final season.

While there were things I had problems with i just loves so much about the season

- you can feel the genuine emotion of Ralph Macchio not having Pat Morita there. You can feel

- Daniel going back to Okinawa could have been the most fan service okay of the season but it works perfectly. 

Well yeah, this show blows Mandalorian out of the water. Im not sure any of the sort of older properties brought back has balanced nostalgia, storytelling, great storylines for old and new characters as well as this. 

This is funny.

I like Cobra Kai. I have binged each season at once. I would consider myself a fan. But it's very stilted and cringy at least a couple times per episode. So I'm not beating it up, but I'm also not going to pretend it's the best thing since Breaking Bad.

But I do find it funny that the hyperbole some of you are throwing its way is what Star Wars fans are being criticized for in other threads.

49 minutes ago, The Choc said:

Well yeah, this show blows Mandalorian out of the water. Im not sure any of the sort of older properties brought back has balanced nostalgia, storytelling, great storylines for old and new characters as well as this. 

I didn't say it was better than the Mandalorian. I said i can wait until the next session of it. I want to see the end of Cobra Kai because it is obviously close.

As far Tank, i have a laundry list of problems that i can't get into now because I'm at work. I think this elicits the response it does because i don't know anyone who ever said they wanted more  Karate Kid. No we have and are lovin it.

13 minutes ago, Tank said:

This is funny.

I like Cobra Kai. I have binged each season at once. I would consider myself a fan. But it's very stilted and cringy at least a couple times per episode. So I'm not beating it up, but I'm also not going to pretend it's the best thing since Breaking Bad.

But I do find it funny that the hyperbole some of you are throwing its way is what Star Wars fans are being criticized for in other threads.

Well its not Breaking Bad nor do I think it's trying to be. When I say its a miracle its in relation to the fact that I don't think anyone could have guessed we'd have this kind of good show as a 30 years in the future sequel to The Karate Kid. 

I do think its a much better show than Mandalorian though. There has to be at least a half dozen characters on this show I find more interesting than any character on Mandalorian. 

I didn't draw the comparison, Metro did. Then I just elaborated on that. He said hes looking forward to the next season of Cobra Kai more than the next season of Mandalorian. I just said well yeah I think Cobra Kai is a better show. I didn't bring it up. But I do think when you talk about older franchises coming back that its fair to compare across those franchises on how each goes about it.

Me and the wife finished our binge watch of series 3 a little earlier this evening - and we can’t wait for series 4!

Great cast, heaps of nostalgia, and lashings of cheesy moments! You can see so many things coming a mile off, and I feel myself shaking my head at stages with certain things, but despite that we can’t help thoroughly enjoying watching it!

Finished on a massive high and all set for that tournament! The phone call Kreese made to his old army buddy - wonder what position of power he has reached to influence things? 
Great start to the year!

1 minute ago, Rogue 3 said:

Me and the wife finished our binge watch of series 3 a little earlier this evening - and we can’t wait for series 4!

Great cast, heaps of nostalgia, and lashings of cheesy moments! You can see so many things coming a mile off, and I feel myself shaking my head at stages with certain things, but despite that we can’t help thoroughly enjoying watching it!

Finished on a massive high and all set for that tournament! The phone call Kreese made to his old army buddy - wonder what position of power he has reached to influence things? 
Great start to the year!

Well hes calling the bad guy from Karate Kid 3. Who is established as being extremely wealthy.

I think we could assume its him based on info from Karate Kid 3, Silver thanks Kreese for saving him in Nam. Says he will always owe him. But even more to confirm it there is a scene where it sounds like the guy is being referred to as "solider" but the closed captioning confirms its "Silver" 

2 hours ago, Tank said:

This is funny.

So it's silly to compare it to The Mandalorian but not to Breaking Bad? As shouldn't surprise anyone who pays attention to me, I didn't like Breaking Bad. I could never get into it and don't regret it for a moment. But I enjoy the hell out of Cobra Kai, and that's all that matters to me. I also enjoy it more than the Mandalorian. 

It's a sequel to The Karate Kid. If it wasn't cringy and stilted at times it wouldn't work.

I think hes saying in a general sense, cant we just enjoy things on their own? Rather than have to compare and rank every thing? Which is probably a fair thing to say. However at the same time I don't think its crazy or out of line to compare 2 shows that are basically both airing now and are probably the 2 most talked about and buzzy shows there are. And both are good. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.