Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cobra Kai

8 replies to this topic

The Choc

The Choc

• 9,043 posts

Anyone else watch this? I'm 6 episodes in and I gotta say it's pretty damn good. Won't get too into it here but they really did a great job with it. 

Darth Wicket

Darth Wicket

• 17,400 posts

Watched the first two episodes. I liked them both. Thinking about signing up for YouTube Red to watch the rest.

Some thoughts about Johnny's character:

1. I liked seeing him stick up for that kid in the strip mall. Kind of reminds me how Miyagi came to Daniel's defense in the Karate Kid.

2. That being said, some things about Johnny's character still strike me as being a jerk.

3. However, after he got berated for hanging the television on the wrong wall, I do agree with calling that lady a B-word. :D

4. Man...can he hold a grudge! Over 30 years?? Why is he still holding on to that?

5. I don't agree with the Cobra Kai view of karate (i.e. strike first, show no mercy). I liked the flashback of Daniel teaching his daughter karate and saying it is in the mind and heart and should be used for self-defense (kind of like ESB Yoda's view of the Force). I hope the lessons of Miyagi still stay with Daniel after all this time.

The Choc

The Choc

• 9,043 posts

It gets better from the first two episodes even. Sign up for YouTube Red, you can get a 30 day trial. Then just cancel when you finish watching. As for Johnny, yes he is a jerk still. But he is slowly still moving towards redemption. Im only 6 in out of the 10 so I don't know if he gets there.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
I’ve heard nothing but good things about this show. I was never a Karate Kid fan (twas Rocky light to me), but the buzz on this show has been solid.

The Choc

The Choc

• 9,043 posts

Show just kept getting better really. Just a great job, great ending. All the characters are just about perfect. Amazing you can take an almost 35 year old movie that Tex correctly called "Rocky Lite" and make this good of a tv show. 

Darth Wicket

Darth Wicket

• 17,400 posts

I watched the rest of the episodes. It was a good show. They setup a second season nicely with some interesting cliffhangers.

I liked the bananarama reference. :D

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,777 posts
The problem with series being released like these is that it makes binge watching almost mandatory. I started watch this when it came out and didn't have(make) time to watch the rest. Now I just finished them and what amazes me is how they adapted the overall story for 35 years later.

If I have one complaint, and it's a geek complaint, is how everyone is good at karate so fast. In the original Karate Kid it was just Daniel that had to learn karate over the course of a school year. The Cobra Kai guys had been in it for years. You can kinda defend how Daniel got to the tourney finals. Outside of the first guy he fought everyone else was Cobra Kai whose main goal was to get him out. He fought a defensive stylr and really only fought the of their best guys. One who got disqualified. In this one EVERYONE is a noob. And two of the noobs make it to the final. That's my only real grioe though.

Brando

Brando

83% Muppet

• Admin
  • 19,311 posts
I binged it over two days. I’ve been bedridden and in a lot of pain, so shows with short episodes have been great for my ability to pay attention.

It’s one of the better sequels/remakes/reboots that I’ve seen. It changes how you look at the original without disrespecting it. It just gives more nuance and shows how right Miyagi was about everything.

One thing that was a little stupid was everyone excited to talk about Daniel being “the champ “ when Johnny also won the tournament twice and came in second once.

As for people learning quickly, it really seemed to me like it wasn’t a huge field to begin with, and the way they talked it sounded like there wasn’t much karate going on until Cobra Kai came back. So I think that the issue may have been that the kids in the tournament weren’t good. Plus it had to end with Johnny versus Daniel.

All in all, the most important part is that you have two guys who peaked in high school and can’t get over it, but had very different father figures who got them on different trajectories in life.

Ryn

Ryn

Moonshadow

• Moderators
  • 28,551 posts
I was surprised how well done it was. Great performances from everyone, really.

One bit I especially enjoyed is Johnny's recollection of the first film, and plays on the fan theory as him being the real Karate Kid.

Reply to this topic