Barbara Bush passes away peacefully.

Ms. Spam

Me too. I think HW may go soon though. My grandpa passed pretty quickly after grandma. The dementia had him sticking around for almost a year but the dementia was a blessing because he had these wonderful hallucinations that she was there watching Jeopardy with him or eating dinner.

I think only Melania is going to her funeral. I loved that they lit up Houston in Blue which was Barbara's favorite color. I may not have agreed with some Bush politics but as time passes I feel like back when TSquare still posted I would have never have thought the Bush's were good but they've been stand up people since leaving office.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Me too. I think HW may go soon though. My grandpa passed pretty quickly after grandma. The dementia had him sticking around for almost a year but the dementia was a blessing because he had these wonderful hallucinations that she was there watching Jeopardy with him or eating dinner.

I think only Melania is going to her funeral. I loved that they lit up Houston in Blue which was Barbara's favorite color. I may not have agreed with some Bush politics but as time passes I feel like back when TSquare still posted I would have never have thought the Bush's were good but they've been stand up people since leaving office.

It would not surprise me if HW passes away within a year or so. You often see that with couples when they have been married as long as the Bushes have.

It would be surprising if Trump did attend the funeral, because he literally built his political career on not just bashing Clinton and Obama, but also Bush 41 and 43. If he showed up, be would look like an even bigger hypocrite than he already is.

I never had that high of an opinion of GW Bush (I think the guy is an odd duck, personally), but I did actually like GHW Bush as president, even if I didn't/don't agree with much of what he supported or did. The one thing I can say I do admire about both, is that once they exited office (Cheney notwithstanding), both of them did largely step out of the lime light and allow their successors to govern without them being publicly critical, which is something Obama, and a lesser extent Bill Clinton cannot claim.

Nancy Reagan probably got more respect but Barbara Bush was more outspoken. Of all the things Barbara's said through the years the worst remembered statement was the words she had about Katrina survivors coming to Houston. I will always admire Barbara for what she did for the people who had AIDS. Hugging babies and just being with gay men with AIDS was a huge thing back in those days.

Whenever I think of Barbara Bush I think of two things.

1. Phil Hartrman playing her on SNL.

2. Her saying all the hurricane Katrina victims housed in the superdome had it better than they were used since they were all underprivileged anyway.

Or could it have possibly been that she was referring to the people she had talked to herself who said they were overwhelmed by Texas's hospitality and wanted to stay there. After all this was at the "Astrodome" in Houston, not the Superdome. It's not new someone meaning to say one thing but it comes out differently.

Or could it have possibly been that she was referring to the people she had talked to herself who said they were overwhelmed by Texas's hospitality and wanted to stay there. After all this was at the "Astrodome" in Houston, not the Superdome. It's not new someone meaning to say one thing but it comes out differently.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/barbara-bush-astrodome-quote/

Rich white people talking about poor black people is generally going to have the same frame.

To be fair, I’m not saying she’s a super racist. I see her more as the George Lucas style racist. The person who doesn’t think they are a racist, and there’s not malice behind their words or actions, but their upper class experience makes them wholly ignorant and they don’t see the problem with their words/actions.

Guest El Chalupacabra

So .....out of touch=racist?

No denying the Bushes, no actually lets be real....anyone who would be considered wealthy, and for a long period of time (IE successful business people, members of political dynasties like Kennedys, Bushes, or Clintons, or even billionaire film makers like GL) are out of touch. But I would not classify them as racists.

Just rich f***s who have no clue how the rest of the 99.99% of the world lives.

George Lucas style racist. I've always gotten a kick out of that. You do see the irony of suggesting Lucas is racist by association for letting his creature factory and voice actors come up with "racist" caricatures supposedly, but at the same time hesitant to give him writing credit for projects he's attached to? Man is married to a black woman, but WATTO!

George Lucas style racist. I've always gotten a kick out of that. You do see the irony of suggesting Lucas is racist by association for letting his creature factory and voice actors come up with "racist" caricatures supposedly, but at the same time hesitant to give him writing credit for projects he's attached to? Man is married to a black woman, but WATTO!

Google up the transcript of the story sessiomns between Lucas, Speilberg, and Kasdan for Raiders and you’ll see what I mean. Yes he’s super liberal and married to a black woman— but the Watto type stuff is exactly what I mean. His work is full of it. Sgain, not malic, just ignorant.

You can super liberal and not remotely woke.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Google up the transcript of the story sessiomns between Lucas, Speilberg, and Kasdan for Raiders and you’ll see what I mean. Yes he’s super liberal and married to a black woman— but the Watto type stuff is exactly what I mean. His work is full of it. Sgain, not malic, just ignorant.

You can super liberal and not remotely woke.

I think you are misusing the term racist.

https://www.google.com/search?q=racism+definition&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS733US733&oq=racism+def&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.8715j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I an buy ignorant. I can buy out of touch. I can even buy passively prejudiced. But I don't see Lucas or Speilberg as racist. Probably not Barbara Bush, either.

Not trying to be a jerk, and I realize it is semantics, and no it does not excuse said behavior, but I just have a pet peeve about calling people racists, when what people really mean is either prejudiced or out of touch. I know prejudiced and racist are pretty much synonyms, but from my point of view at least, being racist is worse than being prejudiced, because prejudiced means (to me) one doesn't like someone or a group of people due to being closed minded, racism takes it to another level by actually hating someone, and the belief that your race is superior to others.

It’s racist.

I’ve argued the definition of racism and prejudice hear many times.

It’s racism that makes for a society in which aliberal self described hippie like Lucas woth good intentions still holds racially insensitive biases, impressions, or beliefs in stereotypes, and doesnt learn what they might be doing is wrong, becuse their environment and culture doesn’t teach them so.

Thats racism defined.

I’m not saying literally that Lucas is racist, I’m saying he has said and done things that are a product of, and therefor perpetuating racism.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I hate to say I disagree with you because I more or less agree with you, except on the definition of racism itself. Seems to me you are describing something more akin to white privilege. Possibly institutionalized racism, as well. But, I was addressing whether said people were racists, which I do not believe.

Edit:

But before I derail this thread further, I will concede whatever one believes the definition of racism is, and whether Barbara Bush, or Lucas for that matter are racist, prejudiced, or just out of touch and are letting white privilege blind them to that fact, it doesn't give them an excuse.

Say what you will about stereotypes, they exist for a reason. There is a nugget of truth to a lot of them. I could spout stereotypes about Spanish tourists, east London Jamaicans, polish migrants, Turks, people from Liverpool, Manchester or the West Country all day long. And there would be truth to all of them, with no malice intended. I don't consider myself racist in the slightest (insensitive probably) but if having a laugh at people's idiosyncratic differences makes people racist in this day and age then maybe I am? That reality makes me want to go live on a rock on a very tall mountain very far away.

I don't think George Lucas is consciously racist. He's just old, has old values and is probably stuck with beliefs/values that haven't evolved with the passage of time...for better or worse. Obviously I think that is the case with Barbara Bush too. Her belief system is born of a bygone age which took little consideration for racial sensitivity or any real interest in genuine understanding. Does that make her personally racist? I don't think so.

I get troubled by holding people raised under old standards to be held to modern ethical standards retroactively. A lot of old people just suck, and expecting them to change is both a fruitless task and also unfair.

I hate to say I disagree with you because I more or less agree with you, except on the definition of racism itself. Seems to me you are describing something more akin to white privilege. Possibly institutionalized racism, as well. But, I was addressing whether said people were racists, which I do not believe.

Edit:

But before I derail this thread further, I will concede whatever one believes the definition of racism is, and whether Barbara Bush, or Lucas for that matter are racist, prejudiced, or just out of touch and are letting white privilege blind them to that fact, it doesn't give them an excuse.

I think we're saying the same thing. Let's move on and focus on Odine being a monster now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.