The entire PT should have been ROTS

The Choc

Guest El Chalupacabra

So it's only a matter of time until someone generates a Williams-esque score and edits it into R1!

Too lazy to look, but I can almost guarantee someone has already taken existing Williams music and edited R1 and added said music. There's a lot of bored mofos out there that would do exactly that.

I'm sure someone could write a program that could create John Williams-style scores for any future Star Wars films, or re-edits of existing films.

The technology could probably be used to create a John Williams emulator as it were...using algorithms and past song data etc to create some kind of new music out of pastiche.

But computers cant write songs. Despite what Chalup says modern pop is not written by algorithm...everything you hear will have been made almost entirely on a computer using Pro-tools or Logic or some other programs... but behind it there is always a human at the helm.

The day computers can autonomously write and create original music that genuinely moves and emotes, is the day computers become something more than machine. But I digress.

I'm sure someone could write a program that could create John Williams-style scores for any future Star Wars films, or re-edits of existing films.

Well, any music could probably be written by an algorithm now. Modern pop music pretty much is, anyway. But it is nothing new. Even in the Baroque period, when most music written was a very "mathematical" composition, whenever composers got stuck while writing music, they literally rolled dice to help with writing the next note!

Well, if it ain't baroque, don't fix it!

Yeah, half the reason I think Rogue One doesn't hold up to TFA and TLJ is the lack of a Williams score. I've always thought Williams was one of the key ingredients to Star Wars but didn't realise how much it suffers without him until R1.

I totally agree John Williams' music is iconic, and one of the greatest components of the Star Wars franchise.

But I disagree that Rogue One doesn't hold up due to a lack of John Williams. I sincerely think John Williams music will be still played in a 100 years and he will go down as one of the great classical-style composers in history. The R1 score doesn't stand out in the same way a John Williams score would, but honestly, I barely noticed that and was into the movie. While I believe it would have been far better with John Williams, I thought the Rogue One sound track was just fine.

Yeah fair call - for me, the score is one of the things that I look forward to most in a Star Wars film, probably the most essential ingredient. It's the one thing that the prequels triumphed on. Going into Rouge One, was disappointed that the score was below average. (that said was probably being a bit harsh in the last post, I still love Rogue One)

Here’s what I’ve decided is my biggest problem with the PT. None of the characters had any real motivation for doing the things they did, outside of doing them because they were supposed to. Its like the characters knew they were in a prequel and did things just because they knew the story called for it. Anakin turned to the dark side just because he was supposed to. Yoda and Obi-Wan went into hiding just because they were supposed to. Yoda confronts Palpatine one time, and when things don’t go his way, he decides its time to go into hiding? I just have a hard time buying anyone’s reasons for doing anything that they did.

Yeah!

That and the writing. And the dialogue. And the majority of the acting. And the purple lightsabers.

But I'm starting to feel that nostalgia again and I want to watch the prequels soon. Cause they're so shit they're good.

Heres what Ive decided is my biggest problem with the PT. None of the characters had any real motivation for doing the things they did, outside of doing them because they were supposed to. Its like the characters knew they were in a prequel and did things just because they knew the story called for it. Anakin turned to the dark side just because he was supposed to. Yoda and Obi-Wan went into hiding just because they were supposed to. Yoda confronts Palpatine one time, and when things dont go his way, he decides its time to go into hiding? I just have a hard time buying anyones reasons for doing anything that they did.

I disagree with a lot of your theories, but this is spot on.

Yoda and Obi-Wan went into hiding just because they were supposed to. Yoda confronts Palpatine one time, and when things don’t go his way, he decides its time to go into hiding? I just have a hard time buying anyone’s reasons for doing anything that they did.

That's an Original Trilogy problem really. People have been saying "Why didn't Ben and Yoda team up to take out the Emperor instead of sending half-trained Luke?" since the 80s.

Yoda and Obi-Wan went into hiding just because they were supposed to. Yoda confronts Palpatine one time, and when things don’t go his way, he decides its time to go into hiding? I just have a hard time buying anyone’s reasons for doing anything that they did.

That's an Original Trilogy problem really. People have been saying "Why didn't Ben and Yoda team up to take out the Emperor instead of sending half-trained Luke?" since the 80s.

...and a good writer could have found a way to explain that in the PT.

At the end of ROTS Obi-Wan could have been portrayed as guilt ridden, and more or less giving up on the Jedi order, blaming himself for the death of Padme and loosing Vader on the galaxy. Instead of wealing into the desert noble and waiting, he could have walked off into a storm, distraught, and saying someday, maybe, he might find his fath again.

Yoda should have come out of the fight with Palpatine seriously wounded and near death and permantly physically effed— making it clear his junmpy flippy days were now at an end.

That’s just off my head given the ROTS we have. If it had been a completely different movie you could go in other directions.

Guest El Chalupacabra

At the end of ROTS Obi-Wan could have been portrayed as guilt ridden, and more or less giving up on the Jedi order, blaming himself for the death of Padme and loosing Vader on the galaxy. Instead of wealing into the desert noble and waiting, he could have walked off into a storm, distraught, and saying someday, maybe, he might find his fath again.

Hopefully if there is an Obi Wan film, they have all that!

Yoda should have come out of the fight with Palpatine seriously wounded and near death and permantly physically effed— making it clear his junmpy flippy days were now at an end.

That’s just off my head given the ROTS we have. If it had been a completely different movie you could go in other directions.

Agreed. Yoda should have had his ass handed to him in some way. Force lightning or the fall he experienced could have even explain that. Instead of the virtual draw we got, but for Yoda losing only because of the high ground.

I didn't see it as Yoda straight up losing. It was more he had blown his chance at catching the Emperor off guard. He knew if the fight was prolonged, help would arrive for Palpatine. He wouldn't be able to fight the most powerful Sith Lord that's ever existed while troopers were taking shots at him.

Rationalising flaws through retrospect.

The Yoda-Sidious fight represents the entirety of the prequels for me in alot of ways. I like the fight, I think it's fun and entertaining but the movies probably work better without it. The whole thing plays into the title of this thread. In ROTS there is an attempt on Palpatine's life. Anakin finds out he is evil, tells Mace, they go and try to arrest/kill him. The whole thing takes up a few scenes. This could have been the main plot of a whole movie. A conspiracy between Jed and Senators to kill Palpatine. It fails and then Palpatine uses the assassination attempt as justification to really clamp down. The Jedi and the conspirators are soundly defeated. They decide they cannot possibly win now, so they bide their time. Obi Wan and Padme though go try to save Anakin, not in hopes of it leading ot some kind of victory over the Emperor, but just for personal reasons. Try to save him from this awful fate of the dark side.

Yoda should have come out of the fight with Palpatine seriously wounded and near death and permantly physically effed making it clear his junmpy flippy days were now at an end.

Thats just off my head given the ROTS we have. If it had been a completely different movie you could go in other directions.

Please write a Star Wars script. Kthxbye

So basically Luke's story in the ST?

Here's the thing though. When watching the OT we always had the liberty of assuming that Obi-Wan and Yoda had a reason to go into hiding, even if we didn't know what it was. I feel like the PT took that away from us. I imagine someone with no prior knowledge of SW who's watching these movies in chronological order would be genuinely confused by Ben and Yoda's sudden decision to do nothing. Yoda had just taken the offensive against Sidious after all. It just looks like this spontaneous decision that came out of nowhere, with no real reason given for it. Its as if Yoda and Ben had watched the OT and knew that's what they were supposed to do.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.