WrestleMania

Metropolis

The WWE needs to try these thing if they really want Reigns to be over.

1. Have him fall all the way down to the bottom of the roster. A losing steak. Have the fans revel in his fall.

2. Don't rush him back up. If he's in the Main Event of Mania next year fans will just turn on him again.

3. Have him work series with the better workers on the mid card. He's good in ring. Remind everyone he can wrestle.

4. Have him run heel for a while. If you take your time you can find a natural opponent to turn him face against.

5. The top of the WWE main event card is thin. Let people get sick of what's left. Reigns could actually look good to fans after they get sick of Brain and all the other guys that get hurt.

Recap—

Match one: Decent triple threat. I think Rollins is a solid worker, but ultimately nothing spectacular. His inclusion made things a little muddy. It was a decent match with good spots, but they didn’t really program it enough for me to care. Triple threats are awkward— in bigger multi-player matches the elimination aspect drives things, when you just have three, it always feels like somebody is tacked on. This time it was Rollins. Miz has great douche-heat, Finn is loved by all. That would have been enough. If it had been just them and Finn came out as the Demon King and Miz did his coward act, it would have been great. Still solid, but forgettable. B-

Match two: I really thought this would be epic and unforgetable. I’m a big Asuka mark. Even though I know streaks sort of make the scripted decisions more obvious, Asuka still worked. She didn’t pull a Goldberg and just come out and squash people. She put over everyone she defeated. I’ve seen her cover for other wrestler’s missed spots more than any wrestler I’ve ever seen. First one comes to mind is when Nia Jax did a backdrop and accidentally hit Asuka’s leg instead of body— clearly a missed spot, but for the next five minutes Asuka played a leg injury. Charlotte is possibly one of the best female wrestlers I’ve ever seen. She’s just a great performer and worker. Her and Sasha’s HIC match made me misty. So all that combined, I thought this woud be epic. It was certainly good— and had a few awesome bumps and spots— but I have seen better matches out of both of them with other people. Hopefully they get a rematch. B+

Match three: I went to go poop and missed it. I like Rusev enough, the best thing about Roode is his entrance, Mihal’s got a face I detest, and Orton... oh Randy Orton. I remember when he and Cena debuted. Cena was the new Austin, Orton was the new Rock... and it didn’t work out that way. Orton just never had a personality that broke. He’s a great performer, probably one of the best in-ring workers in the WWE, but he’s just kind of meh in the personality department. Any classic Orton match I can think of is a missmatch. Undertaker? Wyatt? He just never seems to fit into any storyline outside of the old Evolution stuff. I choose the right time to poop. NO GRADE.

Match four: I’ll just say it— this might be my favorite match of the night and that is a total shock. Stephanie isn’t a full time wrestler, HHH and Angle are long in the tooth, and none of us expected Rousy to be any good. But I tell you what— when she got the hot tag and flipped Stephanie into the ring by her face? I was in. She was pretty solid. And I know nobody likes the McMahons— but I love Stephanie. She’s probably one of the best heels the WWE has ever had. Rousy was stiff AF, and Stephanie took it. I even liked her riding a trike for the entrance. I love Stephanie. And I know HHH heel heat is 300 years old, but to his credit, he’s put so many people over with it, and tonight was no exception. He always makes me laugh even when I hate him. He was classic HHH tonight, even if he’s back to his Helmsly weight and not the DX/Attitude era bulkness. And speaking of 300 years old... Angle can still work the ring, and it was fun to see... but I don’t need to see it again. Good moment for him— but he looked like his heart was about to explode. If the idea was to have the three of them get Rousy over, it worked. I look forward to her next match. A-

Match five: Smackdown Tag match... I struggle with tag matches. I like my tag teams to be a concentrated gimmick, not two singles dudes random stuck together... and yet, with these all being established stables, I could not care. The New Day’s entrance was longer than the actual match. Despite the fast action and some great bumps, I was bored. C-

Match six: I didn’t like Cena’s run backstage interrupting the post Asuka/Flair match. I think every promo Elias cuts with that guitar is excrutiatingly long, so— all of them. He’s boring as hell. I didn’t love that this was basically a better farewell to Taker where he just came out and squashed Cena with all his finishers... and yet, I still marked out when I heard the GONG... and that Force-big boot tho! We all know Taker will never work a regular schedule again. I say lean into it— one match a year at WM. He just shows up and crushes somebody. NO GRADE.

Match seven: Kevin Owens is one of the better heels in the WWE. I think he and Zane are a great match up. I’m a Shane fan even though he’s getting old, and I figured he wouldn’t do any big bumps this time after the last couple. Decent match— but really, it was great to see Bryan back in form. I forgot how unique his style was and how fast he is. That alone made it worth it. B-

Match eight: Alexa Bliss and Nia Jax are both underrated. They both got over based on appearance initially, but both work their assesd off. I just started to realize that about Alexa this year— especially after her last two PPVs. I’m glad they let Nia take the strap, it’s deserved. I love when they program her like they would any monster— but I didn’t like the shoe-horning in of fat-shaming/body acceptance. It felt like a cheap grab, and just having her win would have delivered the same message. Also, Nia Jax is hot. Alexa definitely took the hardest bump of the night when she got whipped to the mat. B+

Match nine: AJ styles is a dude that I am new to. I get he’s had a long career outside the WWE, but I just don’t know how I’m supposed to feel about him. I don’t get his gimmick, he seems boring, I’ve never seen a good promo. Nakamura I also don’t get— what’s his gimmick? That he’s a rock start with cerebral palsey? I don’t see why people lose their minds over him. THAT said, I’ve never seen a match with either of them in it that was boring. Both are amazing in-ring, so I thought this would be at the very least a greatly evened match— and it was. Solid and fun— and to be honest, I haven’t seen a good clean-cut, perfectly timed heel turn like that in ages. A-

Match ten: I’m assuming Nicholas was a family member or a make-a-wish kid... I thought it was cute. That said, Cesaro and Shamus are exactly my tag team problem— two singles guys that they didn’t know what to do with so they team up. And they devalue them even further by letting them get squashed in a handicap match. I love Braun, but I’d have rather see him give Lesnar more stiff punches than diddle with this noise. C-

Match eleven: One of the most boring PPV matches I’ve ever seen, definitely one of the WORST WM matches ever. I’ve never liked Lesnar— he works too stiff and hurts people, he has no personality, they can never decided if he’s heel or face, Hayman does the hard work, I hate his giant dicksword tattoo. Sometimes he comes out and puts on a good wrestling match, but usually he just comes out with his suplexes and F5s and does them over and over until he wins. Zero storytelling ability. Roman, we all know and agree he’s a knob. Maybe the WWE will recognize their headline match got BORING and THIS IS AWFUL chants that the commentators were scrambling to talk over. F.

The WWE needs to try these thing if they really want Reigns to be over.

1. Have him fall all the way down to the bottom of the roster. A losing steak. Have the fans revel in his fall.

2. Don't rush him back up. If he's in the Main Event of Mania next year fans will just turn on him again.

3. Have him work series with the better workers on the mid card. He's good in ring. Remind everyone he can wrestle.

4. Have him run heel for a while. If you take your time you can find a natural opponent to turn him face against.

5. The top of the WWE main event card is thin. Let people get sick of what's left. Reigns could actually look good to fans after they get sick of Brain and all the other guys that get hurt.

Worked for Rocky Mavia... though Roman doesn't have an iota of Rock's mic skills or charisma.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.