Welcome to Nightly.Net
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Leia rumored to be recast with Meryl Streep? WTF

30 replies to this topic

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,843 posts

https://movieweb.com...ie-fisher-leia/

Hopefully this proves false, but this is yet another example that Disney-owned Lucasfilm has no clue. Meryl Streep is a good actress, but do we need a recast of Leia?  I am totally against it 100%.  But if they were to recast, wouldn't someone who looked more physically like a 60 something Carrie Fisher make sense?  Like maybe Sally Field?  

What a horrible idea, and after a lackluster TLJ (which I have gone from sort of liking despite its many flaws,  to actually despising as time goes on), the idea of a trilogy being given to Rian "the Hack" Johnson, another trilogy given to the Lame of Thrones guys, a Solo movie that NO ONE asked for, and now this bad news, I am starting to really not like Kathleen Kennedy.  

Good God a Bear

Good God a Bear

well ****

• 8,408 posts

I personally think this just evolved from a petition some Star Wars fans put together to have Meryl replace Carrie in Episode IX. 

I just don't see this happening. 

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,554 posts
If it serves the story best I have no problem with them recasting Leia. Streep? She gets nominated every year for an Oscar so that would make Star Wars' first acting nomination lol.

Poe Dameron

Poe Dameron

• 2,485 posts

width_300_nerd_rage.png

• captainbleh +1 this

Poe Dameron

Poe Dameron

• 2,485 posts

If it serves the story best I have no problem with them recasting Leia. Streep? She gets nominated every year for an Oscar so that would make Star Wars' first acting nomination lol.

Alec Guinness holds that honor for A New Hope.

captainbleh

captainbleh

RIP Beau, he would have hated you

• 5,033 posts

I'll be surprised if it's true too, even though I wouldn't be bothered by it.

My only issue with Meryl Streep is her being a somewhat lazy / obvious choice (a physical resemblance to Carrie Fisher wouldn't be a priority for me).

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,664 posts
When she died Lucasfilm said they wouldn’t recast or CGI double her. End of story.

Lord Darth Hunter

Lord Darth Hunter

Sith Lord of Crystal Lake

• 4,433 posts
No way this happens. Click bait.
  • Darth Krawlie +1 this

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,554 posts

When she died Lucasfilm said they wouldnt recast or CGI double her. End of story.

They said they wouldn't CGI her. Did they come back and say they wouldn't recast?

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,664 posts
Treverrow did— but that was before he was fired. That’s the only weak spot.
But I don’t see them doing it. NO ONE would accept it.

Metropolis

Metropolis

• 14,554 posts
At first. If it were done right people would change their mind.

captainbleh

captainbleh

RIP Beau, he would have hated you

• 5,033 posts

I don't think enough people would accept it. Not the same as no one would accept it, but effectively the same.

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,664 posts
I don’t think so. Fandom is spinning out hard on the Han Solo movie because despite being a prequel they can’t handle anyonme else playing Han Solo. Not that they expect Ford to play the role, everyone seems to hate this kid because he doesn’t look like Ford. If the masses can’t handle that, no way they accept a recast.

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,843 posts

When she died Lucasfilm said they wouldn’t recast or CGI double her. End of story.

That is why I am holding out hope that this is false.  But we've been lied to before, as well.

The Choc

The Choc

• 8,994 posts

Why would anyone put any stock into this article? They dont even claim to have a source. 

Dark Wader

Dark Wader

• 2,420 posts

I don't really see Meryl Streep saying yes to this anyway, even in the remote chance it's true. 

pavonis

pavonis

• 6,904 posts
Meryl Streep could play Han Solo and I wouldn't complain.

DML

DML

• Members
  • 10,830 posts

I don’t think so. Fandom is spinning out hard on the Han Solo movie because despite being a prequel they can’t handle anyonme else playing Han Solo. Not that they expect Ford to play the role, everyone seems to hate this kid because he doesn’t look like Ford. If the masses can’t handle that, no way they accept a recast.

For me it's not that he doesn't look like Ford. He slightly resembles him enough to be passable. It's that his voice and inflections sound nothing like Ford. The biggest thing that throws me off is the voice which I still don't understand why they didn't cast Anthony Ingruber in this (it was rumored he had auditioned for the role). He HAD everything down pat. I mean just look and hear him nail a young Ford in this Age of Adeline flashback:   

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts
At least they can no longer recast Leia with 2018 Carrie Fisher. Being older isn't the issue, but sounding like you've been smoking crack for 30 years kinda ruins it. My God was she horrible in the last movie.

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,307 posts
Carries voice made it seem like Leia had seen some stuff and done some things. Art imitating life and all that. Carrie was fine in it and you're just trying to ruffle feathers. It was just the whole Movie that was a bit askew.. Not Carrie Fischer.

Odine

Odine

• Supporters
  • 2,307 posts
As for a recast... **** that.

But I don't think it's anything more than unsubstantiated rumour.

Edited by Odine, 31 March 2018 - 04:04 PM.

Tex

Tex

• 0 posts

Carries voice made it seem like Leia had seen some stuff and done some things. .

Yeah. Probably space crack.
  • Odine +1 this

El Chalupacabra

El Chalupacabra

• Supporters
  • 8,843 posts

For me it's not that he doesn't look like Ford. He slightly resembles him enough to be passable. It's that his voice and inflections sound nothing like Ford. The biggest thing that throws me off is the voice which I still don't understand why they didn't cast Anthony Ingruber in this (it was rumored he had auditioned for the role). He HAD everything down pat. I mean just look and hear him nail a young Ford in this Age of Adeline flashback:   

Yeah, why they didn't hire Anthony Ingruber for the Solo film is beyond me.  In fact, he's the dude that posted a youtube video of himself doing a Han Solo impression like 10 years ago, which in all likely hood, had some influence in getting the Age of Adaline role.  

Edit: here's that video (kinda cheesy, but the guy DOES do a good job):

Oh well, if they ever recast Indy, maybe they'll give it to this guy.

Anyway, back to the Streep thing.  Just to be clear, yeah I realize movieweb is sort of a joke,  which is why I have left room for this to be fake news. 

Tank

Tank

Driver

• 34,664 posts
Doing an impression does not equal quality acting.

Just saying, we werent' in the casting sessions. Maybe the dude can just make a face and do a voice that doesn't mean he can emote, carry pathos, or anything else.
  • pavonis and Filthy Jawa +1 this

Filthy Jawa

Filthy Jawa

Bring back Mandard!

• 8,677 posts

Carries voice made it seem like Leia had seen some stuff and done some things. .

Yeah. Probably space crack.

Death sticks.
  • Good God a Bear and RamonAtila +1 this

Reply to this topic