Contemporary movies in 80s and 90s style VHS covers

Odine

So originally I saw these on instagram and it made me reeeeal nostalgic for the video store. I think the art on them is quite cool and the wear has been executed perfectly. Not that I would pay for a retro designed cover for a hard copy of a modern film. (Who uses anything other than digital these days?)

But they still make me look back fondly at ye-olden days when I was a kid and would spend hours (plural) browsing the aisles of my video rental store, one eye on the "adult" section I would try sneak in at some point.

https://nerdist.com/modern-films-in-retro-vhs-cover-art-will-make-you-all-kinds-of-nostalgic/?gallery=425790#gallery

Those were awesome. Reminded me too of going to the video store. Couple of comments and questions:

1. Does the Rogue One font seem like a Star Trek font to anyone else? Or is it just me?

2. Why does Ready Player One have an image from The Wizard? It seems all the other movies have images from the actual movie (not from some other one). Does Ready Player One have some reference to The Wizard like they do for other movies (e.g. the DeLorean from Back to the Future)?

3. Why did they make Pee Wee seem to be some kind of demon and categorize that movie as a horror movie? I haven't seen it yet, but I was under the impression it was a comedy similar to Pee Wee's previous movies. Is there some scary part in the movie where Pee Wee looks like that (kind of like Large Marge in Pee Wee's Big Adventure :D)?

4. Creed and Rogue One are my favorites. All of them were well done.

Those were awesome. Reminded me too of going to the video store. Couple of comments and questions:

1. Does the Rogue One font seem like a Star Trek font to anyone else? Or is it just me?

I wondered the same thing. Google isn't confirming this for me, but I vaguely recall seeing the Trek movies in cases that looked a lot like the Rogue One box here.

I think the Revenant,Rougue one, TFA, and stranger things are amongst my favourites...but they are all so well done. Even the mad Max one which looks like a more "recent release"video, of mid to late 90s era. Ahh nostalgia.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.