The basic thing that got guys over

Tex

I agree with all the points you guys made on Shane. When Stephanie comes face-to-face with Ronda Rousey, she shows complete fear and tries to weasel her way out of the situation. When Shane confronts a world class wrestling champion like AJ Styles or Kevin Owens, it is played up like we are supposed to believe these guys are in deep spit for getting in the ring with a company executive who does some crossfit on the side.

Back to the topic...

Million Dollar Man:

Humiliating people with his money: Kicking basketball away from the kid/making some guy kiss his foot/making some old lady get on all fours and bark like a dog.

Goldberg: not talking

As soon as he opened his mouth his aura was gone. WWE should've learned from that with Roman Reigns. He wasn't half bad as the muscle guy in the Sheild, but when they put a mic in his hand it was clear he had no personality or charisma. Sufferin succotash.

The biggest problem that wrestling has now is that heels can't be heels anymore. I've heard of cases where true heel heat was generated but people got so offended they had to shut it down because of PC bullshit.

Without good heel talent you can't get a babyface over. Can you imagine Hulk Hogan getting over without the Cindi Lauper thing?

So on that note:

Hulk Hogan: Cindi Lauper

I think you have your time periods messed up. Hogan was over when he came back to the WWF. He had already done Rocky 3. He turned face in the AWA. He beat the Iron Sheik for the title. The Cindy Lauper run helped hype WrestleMania. If anything she got Lou Albano over because he managed heel wrestlers before that.

The biggest problem that wrestling has now is that heels can't be heels anymore. I've heard of cases where true heel heat was generated but people got so offended they had to shut it down because of PC bull****.

Does everything you love get ruined by those meanie PC SJW people?

I've never heard this. Heat is easy to get. You go out there, talk smack about the local sports team, trash the current face de jour, interrupt a face promo, thrown in a cheap shot, and have them program you a streak of wins you don't deserve.

That's how it's always been. If you have the personality and chops, you'll milk it.

Using slurs isn't legit heat, it's the lowest hanging fruit there is and I can't think of one heel who got anywhere doing that.

Except Iron Shiek. But he's insane and hasn't broken character in 30 years.

The only PC-ness that's come to the WWE is them treating the female roster with respect. If anyone thinks that's a bad move, they're a jackass.

Yeah but in this day and age a wrestler who does those things well will be cheered by a large segment of the fanbase. If someone is good at being a heel and also good in the ring he will be cheered by "smarks". That's what Tex is saying I think.

Only guys who get legit heel heat are aligned with the McMahon's. But sometimes even that doesn't work.

This is why Reigns should be turned totally heel. You do a story where some wrestlers comes out and is like "Roman has been handed everything cause he's close with the McMahons he is their golden boy". Reigns denies it, Vince denies it. Then it's proven to be true. Then Reigns totally aligns wiht the McMahon's. The fans who like him now would completely turn on him. The fans who hate him now, although they'd probably like the heel turn, would still boo him because he'd still be in main events despite not "deserving it". You could make a great heel.The McMahons could do alot of the talking for him.

I've never heard this. Heat is easy to get. You go out there, talk smack about the local sports team, trash the current face de jour, interrupt a face promo, thrown in a cheap shot, and have them program you a streak of wins you don't deserve.

Everything except talking smack about the local sports team. I don't like when they do this because the heel should be generating heat from the nationwide audience, not just the 20,000 in the stands. When The Miz ripped Lonzo Ball and his family a new one in front of the LA crowd, the rest of the country was cheering that.

IMO the biggest problem in WWE now is they don't treat it like a sport. Creative is too short-sighted.

The titles have become just props. They still add the tag ropes but wrestlers never use them, just slapping each other on the back or other body part to jump in. They aren't even allowed to use the word wrestler anymore. They are superstars or "sports entertainers." They are wasting a huge opportunity with the brand split. They should create storylines where wrestlers are traded or become free agents and the brands do everything they can to sign them. Just last week when Daniel Bryan fired KO and Sami, they should just be like, whatever, Raw's GM has been blowing up our phone, which would create a more legit storyline as to why they hadn't been fired before even after all their meddling. Shane leads an attack on Raw, beating up camera and sound engineers for no reason just because it's Survivor Series. If the women aren't wrestling for the title, they are thrown together into meaningless multi-team tag matches.

Gone are the days when the Hogan-Savage Wrestlemania main event or the HHH-Angle main event were built up a year in advance through clever writing.

I think you have your time periods messed up. Hogan was over when he came back to the WWF. He had already done Rocky 3. He turned face in the AWA. He beat the Iron Sheik for the title. The Cindy Lauper run helped hype WrestleMania. If anything she got Lou Albano over because he managed heel wrestlers before that.

I knew I was going to get into trouble over when I started this thread. A lot of things got Hogan over, and he was over before, I was just trying to focus on the basic things, and I think the Lauper launched him into the stratosphere. It wasn't much, but it worked, and that's the point of this thread.

The biggest problem that wrestling has now is that heels can't be heels anymore. I've heard of cases where true heel heat was generated but people got so offended they had to shut it down because of PC bull****.

Does everything you love get ruined by those meanie PC SJW people?

That's how it's always been. If you have the personality and chops, you'll milk it.

Using slurs isn't legit heat, it's the lowest hanging fruit there is and I can't think of one heel who got anywhere doing that.

Except Iron Shiek. But he's insane and hasn't broken character in 30 years.

The only PC-ness that's come to the WWE is them treating the female roster with respect. If anyone thinks that's a bad move, they're a jackass.

The point of being a true heel is to push buttons. People have known that wrestling is fake since the 30s. The only way to get the crowd to hate you is to be mean as shit. Nothing is off limits.

Otherwise you have the Miz going through the motions on camera and then going on Sportscenter laughing about it like its no big deal. Doesn't work.

I'm willing to bet that you've never seen true heel heat. Crowds today barely react to the show, but back in the day it was chaotic.

Today heels cut a promo and then immediately apologize for it at the risk of offending anyone, thus defeating the purpose of being a heel.

Who apologizes?

All I see is twitter accounts that go Keyfabe. I've never seen a wrestler go out and apologize for a promo.

And I disagree. Being racial is cheap heat. Anyone with an ounce of cleverness can do better.

Andy Kaufman got some of the biggest heat ever. So did Hogan when he went bad. How about HHH for the entire attitude era? None of them had to do anything that needed to be apologized for out of context to the smarks.

Give me an example or I'm going to think you're mad about the bros who got shot down by making Racial Slurs at Kari Sane at the rumble. Who hurt you? Cause right now you're the boy who cries snowflake that's the most butthurt!

This is why Reigns should be turned totally heel. You do a story where some wrestlers comes out and is like "Roman has been handed everything cause he's close with the McMahons he is their golden boy". Reigns denies it, Vince denies it. Then it's proven to be true. Then Reigns totally aligns wiht the McMahon's. The fans who like him now would completely turn on him. The fans who hate him now, although they'd probably like the heel turn, would still boo him because he'd still be in main events despite not "deserving it". You could make a great heel.The McMahons could do alot of the talking for him.

Worked for Rock and HHH.

My point was that Hulkamania was already on the rise at that point. Vince was starting to use celebrities to push the WWF brand. By that time Hogan was starting to run with Mr T. Vince used Hogan with Lauper to help the WWF and to help her. That was when she debuted. Hogan was at the Grammys with her when she won best new artist. If she did anything for anyone it was Captain Lou. They got a friggin cartoon! Remember that shit?

Seriously you couldn't have picked a worse example to argue your point. You wanted an example, and I give you Andy Kaufman. Who you mentioned. You apparently know nothing about him other than the fact that he used to be an actor before he became a wrestler

And I don't even know about racial slurs at the rumble nor do I know who Kari Sane is.

Feel free to be outraged at whatever, though. Never gets old. I would hate to deprive you of that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.