The basic thing that got guys over

Tex

I know this place is dead, but I'm gonna try anyway.

When I think back on it there was always something basic that got guys over, or at least got them noticed. In Flair's case I think it was just the hair. When I first saw him I kept looking at him because I had never seen a man with what appeared to be a woman's hairdo. Of course he's much more than a bleach blonde wrestler, but looking back on it the hair had a lot to do with it.

So I'll start.

Randy Savage: gravelly voice.

I know this place is dead, but I'm gonna try anyway.

When I think back on it there was always something basic that got guys over, or at least got them noticed. In Flair's case I think it was just the hair. When I first saw him I kept looking at him because I had never seen a man with what appeared to be a woman's hairdo. Of course he's much more than a bleach blonde wrestler, but looking back on it the hair had a lot to do with it.

So I'll start.

Randy Savage: gravelly voice.

I'd say for Savage it was Elizabeth. She was the first thing I noticed about him. Never seen a woman like her in wrestling before.

On the topic of face paint, I'm sure that having to put that crap on every night becomes a major pain the ass. I'm willing to bet that every guy who used face paint as part of their gimmick eventually regretted going down that road.

I always felt like anyone facing Jeff hardy had it bad cause he was so covered you'd look like a clown that went through a car wash by the time you pinned him... then again, if they were on a card with Jeff Hardy their career was already in a bad place.

Even worse than that are the guys who had bad hygiene. Apparently Vader was a constantly sweaty smelly mess.

The worst has to be Abdullah the Butcher. Not only was he a fat slob, he also had Hepatits C and knowingly infected other wrestlers because his matches were usually bloodbaths. Superstar Billy Graham has been quite vocal about this, as he tends to be about everything.

And like that I've officially hijacked my own thread, so.....

Abdullah the Butcher: morbid obesity

He's not over in the way he's supposed to be over, but he does get one hell of a heel pop every time he shows up. People love to hate that guy. Myself included.

But that's for the wrong reasons. He's not getting a heel pop the way a Roddy Piper/Ric Flair/HHH/Shawn Michaels would get heel pops. They purposely worked to get themselves over as heels. When Reigns won the Royal Rumble and was booed out of the building it wasn't because he was such a great heel. The boos stemmed from a completely different place. The Rock even came out to try and make the save that night because Reigns wasn't supposed to be booed. He's not over.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.