Favreau to write and exec produce TV series

The Choc

He’s a non-brainer choice like Abrams— his work is very keeping weith the SW style, tone, and content. But yeah— he’s never run a TV show before and yeah— another white dude. I’m sure the room will be super diverse. Despite saying that, I plan to 100% try and get interviewed for it.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I will reserve judgement until we get more details on what the show is actually about and who the characters are. But I don't understand this recent obsession with bashing Star Wars for having a white dude write it or being the show runner. Why does ensuring "diversity" have to be a qualifier for a show before it is even watched? All I care about is the show being good. I don't care who writes it or what their gender or ethnicity is. There are a ton of youtube videos of pissed off (usually white dudes) whining about Kathleen Kennedy being an SJW, or the counter-videos (usually non-white dudes) complaining that there are too many men in Hollywood. I am sick of it all, and I am tired of Star Wars being politicized.

I defend KK right and left, but the one thing I do think is a legit criticism of her, is who she hires. She’s hired people she’s had to replace, and despite her own diversity championing stance, she’s only hired white dudes.

If this is an era of expanding SW to try different viewpoints and styles, you can get that by hiring people with different life experiences from that standard.

Black Panther is a great example of a movie that perfectly fits into a franchise universe, and yet still has a unique voice and POV.

I look at it like it used to be with NFL hiring of black head coaches. Certainly there were black people capable of being NFL head coaches, the problem was though that the pipelines to becoming an NFL head coach were essentially only filled with white guys. Over time that got alot better, more black men were hired at the college level or the position coach level and eventually funneled up to being head coaches.

I think that's the point we are at now. There are for 100% certainty minorities and women who could take over a Star Wars movie or project and do an awesome job. However I'd say that still most of the people who right now are qualified to do it are white men. And I don't mean qualified in terms of having the talent or smarts or ideas. I'm more saying in terms of having worked on other big movies and being "ready" for it.

Again, not saying there are NO candidates who are ready for it, obviously there are. But if you are Kennedy and you are making a list of prospective film makers to hire there will be more white males than others.

Its literally the definition of white male privilege to not care about diversity.

When they create a new white non-Latino male character that isn't a villain, builds a Death Star, or dies 2 minutes into the movie, call me. 50/50 Woody Harrelson turns on Han by the end of the movie.

Seriously, the proof is in the pudding that they're all-in on diversity.

I look at it like it used to be with NFL hiring of black head coaches. Certainly there were black people capable of being NFL head coaches, the problem was though that the pipelines to becoming an NFL head coach were essentially only filled with white guys. Over time that got alot better, more black men were hired at the college level or the position coach level and eventually funneled up to being head coaches.

I think that's the point we are at now. There are for 100% certainty minorities and women who could take over a Star Wars movie or project and do an awesome job. However I'd say that still most of the people who right now are qualified to do it are white men. And I don't mean qualified in terms of having the talent or smarts or ideas. I'm more saying in terms of having worked on other big movies and being "ready" for it.

Again, not saying there are NO candidates who are ready for it, obviously there are. But if you are Kennedy and you are making a list of prospective film makers to hire there will be more white males than others.

Its literally the definition of white male privilege to not care about diversity.

Dead on allegory.

When they create a new white non-Latino male character that isn't a villain, builds a Death Star, or dies 2 minutes into the movie, call me. 50/50 Woody Harrelson turns on Han by the end of the movie.

Seriously, the proof is in the pudding that they're all-in on diversity.

We’re talking creative production wise, not narratively.

I am 100% serious. It's not white guilt, it's not liberal SJW nonsense. Choc's football allegory is on point, as is my comment about Black Panther.

With Kennedy promising to use her position to be more diverse, it seems odd that she's hired nothing but white dudes.

Yep. I am 100% utterly bored of this diversity identity crisis.

I am interested in a Star Wars live action series, but have no opinion on the dude currently hired. I remember seeing his face on telly before but have no knowledge of his production or writing chops.

We’re talking creative production wise, not narratively.

I know, but at what point do you accrue enough points in the diversity bank that you don't have to worry about these charges and just take on faith that she hired the person most likely to create a project people will like and make some money? Chasing diversity eventually means you can't win because there's always going to be the next complaint about not representing this or that group. Eventually, either you fall short and the crowd obsessed with such things starts calling you out or your purity becomes parity.

As I said before, like Saturn, the Revolution devours its children.

How is it ruined?

Why is making a comment like "I'd like to see a woman direct a Star Wars movie" have to be political and keep you from enjoying anything?

Why is it only conservative leaning men that get all worked up over it?

To me it's all about opportunity. I find it hard to believe that Kennedy is sitting in her office refusing to give minority or female candidates a chance at this based on some kind of prejudice. I don't think many people think that. If she is considering these candidates, talking to them and for some reason it hasn't worked out maybe she doesn't like their idea, maybe after meeting with them she hasn't felt they are ready for something as big as Star Wars, maybe it's simply timing in some cases then I don't think there is a problem.

If we had some woman or minority with a great resume say "hey i reached out to Lucasfilm about possible involvement and they blew me off without even considering it." Then that is a huge problem. If Kennedy isn't even giving thought to these candidates then it's terrible and she should and would be fired.

My take is that at first she gave no thought at all to the race or gender of her hires. However at some point it became a "thing" and now she has to deal with that. My guess is she will hire a black guy or a woman soon, they will make a good movie, another will be hired and it won't be an issue.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Why is nightly taking out the quotation marks I put around not care about diversity. Im actually mad about this. Im hungry.

Not necessarily directed at you specifically, Krawlie, but I would like to address this topic....

It's not that I don't care about diversity, nor am I against anyone who wants to be a writer or otherwise involved with the production of Star Wars, regardless of ethnicity or gender. But, there is a time and place for that discussion.

My issue is that I am a fan of Star Wars, and it is one of my escapes from the real world. When it gets politicized one way or another, it rubs me the wrong way. I am even more frustrated with people who carry on about how (from their view) Kathleen Kennedy is ruining Star Wars and is some SJW, than this article, but I lump them all together as politicization of Star Wars. I personally think that Kennedy was hired (in part) to make decisions on who to hire for the various Star Wars projects, and she of all people really is choosing who she thinks is the best fit for the job, and it isn't basing the decision on ethnicity or gender, because she does understand how lopsided the entertainment industry has been towards women and minorities. Furthermore, while I get what some nightly members (IE Tank for example, who is a writer himself so he actually has a stake in the discussion) are saying, and they have valid points. But I have to point out that many of the Star Wars audience like myself are there to be entertained. We don't have a dog in the fight, at least in the same way as say someone like Tank who actually works in the entertainment industry as a writer. People like myself aren't interested in the political discussions with regard to Star Wars or who specifically is writing what, just so long as it is good. In principal, yes, i support equality. But when it comes to discussions like that, I prefer to save it for the Lyceum. Not the Star Wars forum.

Finally, relative to actual cases of say, I don't know, sex assault or harassment, complaining that the latest person for the upcoming TV series is a white dude and not a woman or minority person, just sort of seems like a first world problem to me. Sorry, but worrying about x amount of female writers Disney is employing is pretty low on my priority list, when there are people who deal with really serious problems. You can say I have some sort of white male privilege if you want. But considering I don't work in the entertainment industry, indeed I work a 9 to 6 job and have an annual salary that probably isn't anywhere near what most writers working for Disney make on just one writing job, regardless of their ethnicity or gender, then I have to call BS on the accusation of white privilege.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.