Black Panther

ShadowDog

Guest El Chalupacabra

Black Panther is a fine film, but if they were going to nominate a MCU film, it should have been Infinity War, which I think blows Black Panther out of the water. But I think BP deserves some kind of award for FX or something.

The only MCU film I would even dare say that about is Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but even that film is not up to Best Picture level.

I think Civil War beats Winter Soldier. Infinity War beats both, to me, anyway.

Debatable if any of them deserve best picture, but I was just saying if an MCU film were to be nominated from 2018, it should have been Infinity War.

I'd argue - from personal opinion - that BP deserves that Best Picture nomination more than Infinity War for this reason - anyone can understand the tragedy that is Killmonger's story. But the huge, devastating stakes of IW (that you know are going to be reversed in the next movie, anyway) would not have the emotional impact for a casual fan who hasn't invested 10+ years in the universe building that you need to have as a background to understand anything about Infinity War.

... which argues that IW should get some recognition, because that's the first time in Hollywood history, at least, that I know of, where a studio told a long-term, serialized, tv-style story over 20+ movies and a literal decade. That is an impressive feat.

But I remember when the Oscars wouldn't consider genre for the top prizes at all, so any MCU movie at all getting a Best Picture nom just blows my damn mind.

Yeah, IW doesn't stand up as well as a film on it's own right to get the nomination...plus it wasn't submitted for consideration, BP was.

If this had been prior to 2008 I'd be surprised at the film getting nominated, but post Dark Knight getting snubbed seems like their was a bit of a change...I never thought I'd see a Mad Max film get nominated either but different times. (though Fury Road really did deserve that win imo)

Guest El Chalupacabra

BP is definitely more self contained and has a beginning, middle and end. Despite being the 3rd Avengers movie, IW is more like the TESB of the MCU, especially the Avengers movies. I liked BP, and it was a good movie, just personal preference. But I still like IW better. It brought all the MCU together, including BP, which I think is what I liked most.

Avatar was nominated because it showed studios a way to milk another $5-10 out of moviegoers. Return of the King was kind of a collective nod to Peter Jackson for good total work on the Lord of the Rings series. The Two Towers was the better movie.

I think that's Fozzie's point. It's a nod to the fact that the MCU has pumped out franchise with more films than any other save for James Bond maybe, did it in ten years, and somehow, most of them are decent and almost all of them perform amazingly well. So it makes since that the nod is given to the one that is also culturally relevant in our current political climate.

Also, you all have to realize that Oscar nominations are 100% based off studios heavily campaigning and straight up spoiling, if not low-key bribing, the members of the academy.

It's all anyone in the industry talks about. MILLIONS are spent by studios to campaign for Oscar nods.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Avatar was nominated because it showed studios a way to milk another $5-10 out of moviegoers. Return of the King was kind of a collective nod to Peter Jackson for good total work on the Lord of the Rings series. The Two Towers was the better movie.

I think that's Fozzie's point. It's a nod to the fact that the MCU has pumped out franchise with more films than any other save for James Bond maybe, did it in ten years, and somehow, most of them are decent and almost all of them perform amazingly well. So it makes since that the nod is given to the one that is also culturally relevant in our current political climate.

Also, you all have to realize that Oscar nominations are 100% based off studios heavily campaigning and straight up spoiling, if not low-key bribing, the members of the academy.

It's all anyone in the industry talks about. MILLIONS are spent by studios to campaign for Oscar nods.

In short, the awards are what everyone has known and said it was for years: ruled by internal politics and has nothing to do with actually awarding the best of the best, but whomever kisses the right ass and pays the right amount.

It is unfortunate that there are no academy awards that are actually fair and judge things objectively. But then again, were there ever any to begin with?

It's been a while, but wasn't there disappointment that TTT didn't get a best picture nod? I thought that was why ROTK got it.

I was actually awed when I saw Avatar. I saw it in IMAX 3D. It was the first 3D movie I had seen in theaters since Jaws 3D. It started a trend that, let's face it, inflated box office totals.

Avatar was a spectacle, but narratively it was objectively a pile of shit. There are oodles of oscar winners that are the most base level, trite, saccharine pandering to general audiences films in existence.

Best picture seems to be in an endless rotation of trite feel good BS, autuer driven art house academy fodder, and big pop culture hit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.