The Cloverfield Paradox

Dark Wader

Don't bother.

I really regret interuptting my Wolf Creek marathon to watch this. It's pretty obvious the fast release to was get ahead of the inevitable bad press for this one. Some nice ideas in it but it pretty much did nothing and the Cloverfield link reeks of something added towards the end just to link it to the other 2 movies.

Watch the Wolf Creek series instead.

Thoughts!

1. While the ARG goes deep enough to draw connections between the films, Cloverfield is the name for JJs Twilight Zone. Its a sci-fi thriller horror anthology.

2. Being dumped on Netflix had nothing to do with the quality and has more to do with Paramount being in serious financial trouble. This is the third or fourth announced film to get its theatrical run cancelled in favor of a Netflix dump. That said...

3. What a crap fest. This felt like a 90s era SyFy channel knock off of Event Horizon. I get so annoyed when movies like this are made. I feel like Ive seen this movie so many times before.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Connections? 10 Cloverfield Lane was only connected by name. Had nothing to do with the first film, and just had aliens with no monster. Can't speak for this current movie since I haven't seen it yet, but when the first Cloverfield came out, even JJ stated he wanted an American equivalent to Kaiju series movies. Everyone expected the sequels to be centered around the monster. 10 Cloverfield Lane didn't deliver on that, and sounds like Cloverfield Paradox more or less is a tack on. And since it is straight to Netflix, and sounds like it sucks, it may be the last Cloverfield movie. I mean if Paramount can't manage a 4th Star Trek movie, I rather doubt we will get a 4th Cloverfield movie.

2. Being dumped on Netflix had nothing to do with the quality and has more to do with Paramount being in serious financial trouble. This is the third or fourth announced film to get its theatrical run cancelled in favor of a Netflix dump. That said...

Didn't know that - but were the others dropped to Netflix so suddenly? As in announced and then available the same day? It really did seem like they want to get ahead of bad press with this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my missus watched this the other night, and during and after the movie, all we did was talk about the unanswered questions we were left with and the stupid decisions made by the characters. I read a review before I watched it that said it was clear that the Cloverfield element was added later on with reshoots and that you could tell which scenes had been added, and I have to agree with the reviewer. I can't help but wonder what the movie would have been if they hadn't decided to connect it to the Cloverfield universe, and I also think it was clumsily done. I came up with a much better way to connect it myself right after we'd finished watching it, and it basically involved cutting out all the parts with Michael on the ground, and having the pod that landed be the thing we see land in the sea in the background of the footage that was being overwritten from the original movie. Clear up some other stuff and it would have worked far better than what we got.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Me and my missus watched this the other night, and during and after the movie, all we did was talk about the unanswered questions we were left with and the stupid decisions made by the characters

That seems a trend with a lot of movies today. It's what I think of as the JJ Abrams effect. Even when he isn't involved, I still call it that, because he started that. Hand the audience a mystery box full of questions, then take it away without answering most of them. Put characters in bizarre situations, then write them so that they don't use any common sense and make dumb decisions, so that it fits your plot.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah, I don't know why this mystery box writing seems to be happening more and more with Star Wars TLJ probably is the most prominent example right now, though I suppose Star Trek Into Darkness, Cloverfield franchise and Fringe (which were JJ stuff) fall into this category, as does Star Trek Discovery (not a JJ thing, but people who have been associated with JJ are). Probably the only thing JJ has been/is involved with that I am a real fan of is Westworld, though I am not sure how involved he is beyond EP.

JJ isnt involved with the show. He helped develop it in its early stages. Enough of his controbutions were still used that he gets credit as an EP, but Jonathan Nolan is the head writer.

With the exception of Star Wars, anything JJ is actively a creative part of will have the Bad Robot logo.

• 2 weeks later...

With the exception of Star Wars, anything JJ is actively a creative part of will have the Bad Robot logo.

I see that someone didn't stick around all the way through the credits for TFA and TLJ.

Oh you're right-- they totally stuck it at the end. I completely forgot that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.